Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Oggdropxpd V1.6 Released For Testing (Read 20092 times) previous topic - next topic

Oggdropxpd V1.6 Released For Testing

Reply #50
AthlonXP1600 on VIA KT133A, OS WinXP SP1 (But german  ;) )

We have such similar systems, it's strange!! I have an AthlonXP1800 on VIA KT133A, OS Win2K SP3 (But English, well American actually!!  ) I'll keep looking for any possible causes, but XP does seem to have a mind of it's own sometimes!!

Reply #51
I just wanted to test the nifty new tagging feature, but it doesn't work out with the weird naming scheme which I use when batch encoding WAVs to Ogg (because of the 1 character limit for the separator):

Artist -- Album -- Genre -- Year -- Track No. -- Title

Don't bother with it if you consider it unimportant, since I'm probably the only one using such crazy (temporary) naming schemes.

Sorry for being such a pain in the arse, I'm not complaining, even if it sounds like it. Thanks anyway for your work.

Reply #52
I'll keep looking for any possible causes, but XP does seem to have a mind of it's own sometimes!!

I can reproduce problem decribed by quellecore. And, seems to me, it's definetely XP to 'blame'.
For some reason scale factor automaticaly set to 0 after each config change, so it is actually silence being encoded -> 0kbps.
Changing ini file solves that, so it's something with config dialog, I guess.

Reply #53
I can reproduce problem decribed by quellecore. And, seems to me, it's definetely XP to 'blame'.
For some reason scale factor automaticaly set to 0 after each config change, so it is actually silence being encoded -> 0kbps.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm not sure it helps because I can't see anything wrong with the code!! But, I'll keep trying.

Reply #54
Hi John, I was playing around with beta 5 yesterday and on dropping, say 5 WAVs, it would cause an error just a split second before finishing the first file, and crash. Having said that, i have beta 6 and it seems to be going fine. All other errors reported here have been resolved/unverified on my machine [P II mobile 366, 128 MB RAM, Win2000 SP2].

A note: would you kindly put a note next to the beta download that the lossless decoding DLLs and libmmd.dll are required if you don't have them already?

Also, is it a trivial thing to change the delimiter field so more than one character can be accomodated? This should address Volcano's needs.

For instance, if you delete the INI file, OggrdopXPd starts with the default of a single dash with a space to its left and right [three chars]. This should suit most, and those who need to fiddle with it will learn by observation or trial and error to include the spaces if needed.

Example 1: D:\Music\Dokken_Dysfunctional\02_Hole In My Head.wav

This case can use one underscore with no spaces as the delimiter.

Example 2: D:\Music\Judas Priest -- Stained Class -- 10 -- Heroes End.wav

This one gets a space, two dashes and a space.

@quellcore, ak: have you overclocked your systems? This has been known to cause stability problems with LAME.

Til later
CD

Reply #55
@quellcore, ak: have you overclocked your systems? This has been known to cause stability problems with LAME.

No overclocking these days. But that wouldn't be the problem i guess (LAME isn't OGG VORBIS) ... as you may have read in earlier posts, it works generally, just changes in the encoding options window lead to reproducable problems. Since ak has been able to reproduce it running WinXP it really seems that it has to do with difference WinXP <> Win2000 ...

With that backround I would be kind of suprised if it worked for someone on a WinXP machine. Since Compact Dick is running Win2000 i guess he won't able to check that.
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one! (Benjamin Franklin)

Reply #56
Tried installing the latest beta last night (plus the dll pack), but get a message that libmmd.dll cannot be found.  Has this dropped out of the build?

Cheers, Paul

Doh, Thanks CD!

Reply #57
Tried installing the latest beta last night (plus the dll pack), but get a message that libmmd.dll cannot be found.  Has this dropped out of the build?

Cheers, Paul

Hi verloren

you can find libmmd.dll just below the DLL pack link.

Cheers
CD

Edit: Changed quote date and time to ISO 8601 format.

Reply #58
@quellcore, ak: have you overclocked your systems?

No, maybe just slightly overtweaked, but only on software side.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm not sure it helps because I can't see anything wrong with the code!! But, I'll keep trying.

Don't give up.  If the enemy doesn't surrender, he must be rebooted.
I mean maybe you could compare this part with the one from 1.5 to see what could cause this, not that I know a thing about developing though...

Reply #59
Regarding the tagging. Is it possible to disable the automatic tagging "Encoding_Using=OggDropxpd gui" somehow?

Reply #60
Regarding the tagging. Is it possible to disable the automatic tagging "Encoding_Using=OggDropxpd gui" somehow?

Yep, I'll take it out of the next build.

Reply #61
oggdropXPd V1.6 beta 7 uploaded and available from Mirror 1. 

I just wanted to test the nifty new tagging feature, but it doesn't work out with the weird naming scheme which I use when batch encoding WAVs to Ogg (because of the 1 character limit for the separator):

Artist -- Album -- Genre -- Year -- Track No. -- Title

Don't bother with it if you consider it unimportant, since I'm probably the only one using such crazy (temporary) naming schemes.

Sorry for being such a pain in the arse, I'm not complaining, even if it sounds like it. Thanks anyway for your work.

I have amended the tagging scheme so that you can enter upto 15 chars as the 'Separator'!! However, if the program finds 2 chars that match the first 2 chars in the 'Separator' it assumes it has hit the 'Separator' and passes over however many chars the 'Separator' contains. I think that takes care of your needs!! And, hopefully, any other strange needs for the 'Separator' character string!! 

This has been removed in this version.

@quellcore: I have made a couple of changes here that may help your problem (I hope). No doubt you'll let me know! 

To all who have been testing this for me: Thanks a lot, it's much appreciated.  Testing your own stuff is like proof reading a report you wrote. You tend to see what you think should be there rather than the way it really is!! So, thanks, again.

Reply #62
@quellcore: I have made a couple of changes here that may help your problem (I hope). No doubt you'll let me know!

Wise Ass! 
I would really appreciate to be able to tell you that the problems in WinXP regarding the changes in the encoding options window have been solved by the newest beta release (beta7). But actually it's worse ....
After having launched OggDropXPd for the first time (without config file) it says Nominal Bitrate=128 kbit/s. When i open the encoding options window the quality is set to quality 0 and i can't move the slider. Okay, I can move it but it always jumps back to the 64 kbit/s (quality 0) position all the time immediately.  This doesn't seem to affect the value in the config file at all. If you exit OggDropXPd and open then config file you'll see that the quality level is still set to the value that it has been before. It even happens when you change the settings in the config file directly without using the gui. When i open the encoding options window the quality is set to 64 kbit/s and i can't move the slider. At least nothing is changed in the config file regarding the quality entry in the config file.
I haven't tried the new tagging features so far, sorry for that!
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one! (Benjamin Franklin)

Reply #63

Wise Ass! 
I would really appreciate to be able to tell you that the problems in WinXP regarding the changes in the encoding options window have been solved by the newest beta release (beta7). But actually it's worse ....
After having launched OggDropXPd for the first time (without config file) it says Nominal Bitrate=128 kbit/s. When i open the encoding options window the quality is set to quality 0 and i can't move the slider. Okay, I can move it but it always jumps back to the 64 kbit/s (quality 0) position all the time immediately.  This doesn't seem to affect the value in the config file at all. If you exit OggDropXPd and open then config file you'll see that the quality level is still set to the value that it has been before. It even happens when you change the settings in the config file directly without using the gui. When i open the encoding options window the quality is set to 64 kbit/s and i can't move the slider. At least nothing is changed in the config file regarding the quality entry in the config file.
I haven't tried the new tagging features so far, sorry for that!

OK, thanks.  Back to the drawing board!!

Reply #64
I am having a problem with the tagging system.  The title tags are being corrupted with titles of other songs in the directory.  My naming system is as follows:

Artist\Year - Album\Artist - Track# - TrackTitle.wav

I have the separator set as " - "
Artist %1, Album %%2, Title %3 (maybe this is wrong, but I know of no other way to notate it), Track Number %2, Year %%1.

Only the TrackTitle is not being added to the Title tag correctly.  It is being mixed with the other titles of some of the other songs in the directory for some reason.  I tried encoding the album songs one by one and all at once, but both produced the same results.  I can post the actual file information if you need it.

Also, an unrelated question:  Does oggdropXPd vorbisgain the files?  The decoding options menu lists vorbisgain settings, but not the encoding options menu.  Do I still have to use vorbisgain on my encoded songs or is this already taken care of if I have "Audiophile/Album Gain" selected in the decoding options menu?

Update:  I tested it, and I came to the conclusion that it does not replaygain while encoding...now that I know that, could that not be a feature, album gaining after encoding built into Oggdropxpd?  Tht would be a nice feature, but I don't know if it is feasible or not. 
BTW, I have another tagging related question:  Would it not be possible to edit the contents of the Genre list in the tagging options...for example, make it blank?  This IS possible after the fact by editing the tag in WinAMP, but it would be nice to be able to have a custom (or blank) genre tag there instead of being forced to choose one of the defaults.  Thanks
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #65
oggdropXPd V1.6 beta 8 uploaded and available at Mirror 1.

@mmortal03: I think this fixes the problem you identifed with the tagging. I had made a small change and screwed it last time!! 

I will be looking at the VorbisGain situation. A couple of people have mentioned it recently. I'll also look at the question of 'adding' genre types, again something mentioned recently. The easiest way to deal with this would be to read in 'genre' from an external text file that users could edit and add to at will.

@quellcore: Maybe, just maybe........!!!

Reply #66

Yes, encoding dialog in beta8 works fine here.

Reply #67

Yes, encoding dialog in beta8 works fine here.

That's good, thanks! 

oggdropXPd V1.6 beat 9 uploaded and available from Mirror 1! 

With this version, Genre data is held in a separate text file called 'GenreData.txt'. If this file does not exist, it is created using the default Genre data held internally. Subsequently, Genre data will be loaded from the text file. You may add Genre categories, amend them, delete them as you wish by editing the text file. The only limits are a maximum Genre category size of 64 chars and a maximum number of Genre categories of 255. Both of these can be changed very easily if they prove insufficient.

Subject to any other problems rearing their ugly heads, I'll start looking at VorbisGain support.

Reply #68
oggdropXPd V1.6 beta 10 uploaded and available at Mirror 1.

I believe this version resolves all outstanding bugs.  (I hope!!!)

Reply #69
oggdropXPd V1.6 beta 10 uploaded and available at Mirror 1.
I believe this version resolves all outstanding bugs.   (I hope!!!)

... at least it solved all the problems that i had.    Thanks a lot, john !!! I'm happy you managed to rewrite the part so that it also works on WinXP.
Tagging and renaming also work perfect as far as i've tested it! ...
Subject to any other problems rearing their ugly heads, I'll start looking at VorbisGain support.

With VorbisGain support in OggDropXPd i won't have any other chance to give you an award as the Winner of Quellcore's European Program Award

Reply #70
... at least it solved all the problems that i had.  :P  Thanks a lot, john !!! I'm happy you managed to rewrite the part so that it also works on WinXP.
Tagging and renaming also work perfect as far as i've tested it! ...

Now that IS good news!!    I was optimistic about it, but I'm really glad to have resolved it, finally.

Don't hold your breath regarding VorbisGain support. I'll want to get that right first time!! That will almost certainly be V1.7.

Thanks for the other comments, feedback and constructive criticism are always appreciated.

Reply #71
I appreciate the quick support, but sadly, the tagging is still not working for me, the titles are still all mixed up.  Also, I like the editable genre list, but is there no way to tag a _blank_ genre?  That is what I really would like.  Finally, YES!  Once all these little bugs are fixed, I would definately back up the other requests and my own for built in VorbisGain.  That would make it unbeatable...btw, can you run this program commandline?  It would be really nice to be able to rip with EAC, and have OggDropXPd encode, tag, and (eventually) vorbis gain, all in one step.  I guess I could go the lossless direction and then drag to OggDropXPd when I need the oggs, but that isn't the same!  Thanks, hope you can get this worked out.

Update: Using a " " (one-spacer) works to have a semi-blank genre, but it still isn't truly blank!  I'm not sure how programmers have gone about adding this to their own programs when the genre list is editable, because I'm sure the parse of the genre txt file skips over breaks.  Maybe the only way around this is to just hard code a blank option into the genre field of the program.  That seems very logical to me.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #72
I appreciate the quick support, but sadly, the tagging is still not working for me, the titles are still all mixed up.

Can you be a little more specific? In what way are they mixed up?

Also, I like the editable genre list, but is there no way to tag a _blank_ genre?  That is what I really would like.

I'll see what I can do for you.

Finally, YES!  Once all these little bugs are fixed, I would definately back up the other requests and my own for built in VorbisGain.  That would make it unbeatable...btw, can you run this program commandline?  It would be really nice to be able to rip with EAC, and have OggDropXPd encode, tag, and (eventually) vorbis gain, all in one step.  I guess I could go the lossless direction and then drag to OggDropXPd when I need the oggs, but that isn't the same!  Thanks, hope you can get this worked out.

Well, there will never be a command line version of oggdropXPd. oggenc already fills that role. However, I cannot see any reason why oggenc shouldn't be capable of being modified to provide a similar tagging capability. I'll put that on the back-burner!

Update: Using a " " (one-spacer) works to have a semi-blank genre, but it still isn't truly blank!  I'm not sure how programmers have gone about adding this to their own programs when the genre list is editable, because I'm sure the parse of the genre txt file skips over breaks.  Maybe the only way around this is to just hard code a blank option into the genre field of the program.  That seems very logical to me.

See above. It should be simple enough to add a 'Blank Genre' title and convert that to a truly blank genre.

I'll be back on this shortly.

Reply #73
Regarding the mixed up taggen.

When the last "field value" has a long name subsequent encodings have their shorter field values "added" with extra letters from this value it seems.

Example (I'm using "Artist - Album - Number - Title")

Groovebody - Right On - 01 - Tonight We Funk The Floor Out
Groovebody - Right On - 02 - Funkup
Groovebody - Right On - 12 - Light

The second file (and other shorttitled files) will be mistagged with the last "longer" title value

It might be something like this
Artist: Groovebody
Album: Right On
Number: 02
Title:FunkupWe Funk The Floor Out

Number: 12
Title: Lightght We Funk The Floor Out

P.S. Could we mayhaps have an extra option to add a single personal tag and value? Personally I like to add the tag "Encoding" with the encoding parameters.

Otherwise a great piece of work which is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Reply #74
When the last "field value" has a long name subsequent encodings have their shorter field values "added" with extra letters from this value it seems.

I have the same problem
(oggdropXPd V1.6 beta 10 with Win98SE)
Rommel