Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best, Most Reliable Cdrw Drive ? (Read 10532 times) previous topic - next topic

Best, Most Reliable Cdrw Drive ?

Reply #25
I have a Yamaha F1 for 3 weeks now and everything i threw
in burned flawlessly.

I decided to buy this drive cause i wanted to play around
with this audio master mode. Also i decided cause of the
good implementation for selecting burn speeds automatically,
The only drive this seems to work like it should.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/S...CD%2DRW&index=7

With audio this drive produces constant quality with audio
from 1x-44x with the mitsubishis they selled as Vetbatim
50piece boxes for 15Euro here. You can guess my drawer is
full of them

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/S...D%2DRW&index=10

During time i collected some strange behaving CDs and did some tests.

EAC doesn´t like the drive to much.

But with EAC some drives seem to like some errors more than others.
Overall i decided to use my Asus CD-S500/A for grabbing. And believe
me, i tried a lot of drives cause i have the chance at work to do so.

At work i also ordered a Plex 4012A, but was totally dissapointed with
grabbing quality against the Asus.

Wombat
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #26
Well, so far I am not impressed by the Yamaha crw-f1ze, at least the quality control aspect of it.

When I tried to open the CD tray for the first time, it only came halfway out.  After several tries, I just pulled the tray out with my hand.  After that the tray went in and out ok by itself.  However, the unit doesn't read CD-R's, including the Nero installation disk.  Back to the store!

ff123

Reply #27
problem: my teac/os sudenly decided to switch to pio mode altho i have 'use dma' option enabled, any ideas on why that might happen? (on winxp)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #28
Two of my Lite-On drives have died.  LTN-403 and LTD-163..

I'm getting a Teac.  I have a 16x that's been operating flawlessly.

Reply #29
problem: my teac/os sudenly decided to switch to pio mode altho i have 'use dma' option enabled, any ideas on why that might happen? (on winxp)

XP changes mode from DMA to PIO if it detects transfer problems on the bus.
You should be able to restore it back to DMA by searching with regedit for 'MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed' (if the drive is master) or 'SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed' (on slave device) and change all the entries you find to 0xffffffff. Do the same to 'MasterDeviceTimingMode' (or 'SlaveDeviceTimingMode') and reboot, this should fix it. If this trick didn't help, try uninstalling your IDE drivers and let Windows reinstall them after reboot.

Reply #30
I have the 24x LiteOn CD-writer.
I've had it for a year now.

With over 100 CD's made, it has never ever made a coaster.
It does a perfect job at DAE, and the drive noiselevel is royal.

LiteOn has my best recommendation.
Their CD-writers are just lovely.

Reply #31
Along the years I've tried several burners from many brands. For example, I've worked with Aopen 12x without just link, 24x and 32x models; Teac 12x with and without burn proof, 16x and 40x models; Plextor 12x and 16x models; Lite-On 12x, 32x and 48x models; TDK 40x; Creative 6x model; HP 4x, 8x and 10x models; Acer/Benq 40x; Yamaha 16x,  and many more brands and models I can't remember right now. The starter of the thread asked for a robust drive. From this point of view, and from my experience, the answer must be one and only one: Teac. The Teac drives are almost like a Tank, you can kick them, throw them, stomp them, then plug them into your system and they'll work just well. More seriously, those drives have a lifespam really awesome, and are worth the money a customer asking for reliability and robustness may spend on them. Now for the common myths:

Plextor is not the best manufacturer just because it is "Plextor". The cd-rw race doesn't end and you only can be considered the best manufacturer if drive by drive, they are all better than the others offer. They achieved big succes with the Plextor 12x10x32x, one of the best burners of all time. But as the time goes on, they only seem to go worse. Plextor is not the best for DAE, nowadays almost every manufacturer makes fast DAE drives. The 48x Litey is faster than the 48x Plex in this matter, but, referring to the audio cd's protections, Plextor is the clearly winner. The best drives for recording music are by de facto, the Yamahas, due to the Audiomaster system. Otherwise, for recording regular audio, without using the Audiomaster feature, there are many drives that can perform this taks flawlessly, like Plextors, Yamahas, Lite-Ons, Aopens, and many more, as long as they have good writing quality (low c1 errors on burnt disc). There is another common myth, LeFlore pointed it out before. I'm talking about his/her statement of "speed kills", that's not true, or at least not totally true. The quality of a burnt disc, and its readability depends almost solely on the level of c1 errors occurred during the writing (and of course, on the level of c2 errors, but if these occur too much, you better change your burner). This can be tweaked via firmware, and the media support included in it. As an example, we have the Lite-On 48x (model 48125w). This drive gives good or very good writing quality at speeds of 24x or more, but it performs really bad in the 16x and less area. Nowadays, probably the best drives for copy protected programs and games are the Liteys, but this can change any time. As a general hint, don't relly on myths or in the past achievements, as the cd-rw world is constantly changing.

Reply #32
XP changes mode from DMA to PIO if it detects transfer problems on the bus.
You should be able to restore it back to DMA by searching with regedit for 'MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed' (if the drive is master) or 'SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed' (on slave device) and change all the entries you find to 0xffffffff.

tnx, that seems to do the trick, it says 'multi-word dma mode 2' now, i do hope that is the correct mode since i cant remember what was there before,

specs says:
Code: [Select]
Burst DMA : 
16.6MB/sec. max. ( MW DMA MODE 2 )

so i guess thats it?

btw - it is conected as a slave device on secondary ide port.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #33
Hey, guys and what would you say about NEC? (7900, 9100/A)
Here, in Ukraine and in Russia, it is considered to be the most reliable and the best, but I don't know, whether it is really true...