Skip to main content
Topic: Music files moved... (Read 8369 times) previous topic - next topic

Music files moved...

This is my problem:
I have moved my music directory and now my playlists are inutils.... how can i point my playlist to my new song path???? There is a way?

Music files moved...

Reply #1
This is my problem:
I have moved my music directory and now my playlists are inutils.... how can i point my playlist to my new song path???? There is a way?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364754"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It depends what sort of playlists they are I think. If it's just library playlists or playlists generated by a set of parameters then update your database and refresh the query. If it's a playlist that you made by placing every track in it manually then I don't know of a way of updating them within foobar (though there may well be one).

There's two work around ways I can come up with off the top of my head, though I haven't tried either. You could move the files back to the original location (so foobar recognises them) then create a "playlist" metadata field and write the same value to all the tracks in each playlist. Once you move them to the new destination you could then just run a query using this value. Alternatively open up your playlists with a text editor and use a find and replace function to change part of the filepaths. I'm sure there is a beter way of doing this however.

Music files moved...

Reply #2
This is my problem:
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364754"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It depends what sort of playlists they are I think. If it's just library playlists or playlists generated by a set of parameters then update your database and refresh the query. If it's a playlist that you made by placing every track in it manually then I don't know of a way of updating them within foobar (though there may well be one).

There's two work around ways I can come up with off the top of my head, though I haven't tried either. You could move the files back to the original location (so foobar recognises them) then create a "playlist" metadata field and write the same value to all the tracks in each playlist. Once you move them to the new destination you could then just run a query using this value. Alternatively open up your playlists with a text editor and use a find and replace function to change part of the filepaths. I'm sure there is a beter way of doing this however.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364759"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very thanks... but what is the difference between a playlist generated by a set of parameters and one created by my self manually???

Ps: I don't understend all on the metadata question...

Music files moved...

Reply #3
If you have them in a specific order and you don't want to put them back in that order manually then save the playlist to a file if you haven't already. Close foobar. Open your playlist file with notepad. Click Edit>Replace... and in the first field type in the old path that all of the songs are in (C:\My Music, D:\Downloads, etc.) and in the second field type in the path that they are now in. After it's done, save it and open it in foobar. That's how I would do it.

If you don't have them in a specific order, just empty the playlist and drag the folder that your music is in now into the foobar playlist and sort them how you want them.

Music files moved...

Reply #4
If you have them in a specific order and you don't want to put them back in that order manually then save the playlist to a file if you haven't already. Close foobar. Open your playlist file with notepad. Click Edit>Replace... and in the first field type in the old path that all of the songs are in (C:\My Music, D:\Downloads, etc.) and in the second field type in the path that they are now in. After it's done, save it and open it in foobar. That's how I would do it.

If you don't have them in a specific order, just empty the playlist and drag the folder that your music is in now into the foobar playlist and sort them how you want them.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364771"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried in this way but when i change the path my playlists in foobar are empty...
For example... I changed d:\Private with d: and all seems to be ok but when i try to load a playlist this one is empty... and if I change it again to the original path (d:\Private) in the playlists there are all my songs but i can't hear them for the different location.... what i'm doing wrong?
I used textpad to do this work because when I tried to do this with notepad on restoring the original text parts, the playlist result empty yet....

ps: Sorry for my english... im italian

Music files moved...

Reply #5
Very thanks... but what is the difference between a playlist generated by a set of parameters and one created by my self manually???

I just meant if you can generate a playlist buy using a tag such as %play_counter% or %rating% you wouldn't have a problem. And I'd ignore the metadata method, using a text editor would probably be easier. I'm afriad I don't understand the problem you're having with it though.

Music files moved...

Reply #6

I just meant if you can generate a playlist buy using a tag such as %play_counter% or %rating% you wouldn't have a problem. And I'd ignore the metadata method, using a text editor would probably be easier. I'm afriad I don't understand the problem you're having with it though.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364790"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The problem is that if I replace the text in my playlist file with a text editor (I use textpad) and after i load the playlist in foobar, this one is empty...

Music files moved...

Reply #7
You replaced D:\Private with D: right? Hmm, I just tried it and it doesn't work. That's odd. It always worked with Winamp playlist files. Maybe foobar writes them a certain way. I guess the only thing is to create a new playlist and just drag the whole lot of them into foobar. Did you have them sorted in any special way?

Music files moved...

Reply #8
foobar2000's .fpl files are a binary format, and the user cannot edit them directly (ie, with a text editor).  What I would try doing is saving all your playlists to .m3u (which is a text format), then doing the search and replace.  If you have many playlists, you can right-click the playlist tabs or playlist switcher and select "save all playlists" (at least with Columns UI, you can).  Then you can load the .m3u's back into foobar2000.

Music files moved...

Reply #9
foobar2000's .fpl files are a binary format, and the user cannot edit them directly (ie, with a text editor).  What I would try doing is saving all your playlists to .m3u (which is a text format), then doing the search and replace.  If you have many playlists, you can right-click the playlist tabs or playlist switcher and select "save all playlists" (at least with Columns UI, you can).  Then you can load the .m3u's back into foobar2000.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364878"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes... i tried this and now work... thanks very much...

Another question... there is a possibility to autoupdate a playlist on foobar start?

Music files moved...

Reply #10
Another question... there is a possibility to autoupdate a playlist on foobar start?

not that I know of. Unless foo_playlist tree can automatically scan the database, refresh a library node and then send this to the playlist on startup. I'd have a look at this plugin anyway if you haven't got it already. Oh and foo_dirwatch is currently in development and might be able to do some useful stuff but I haven't been keeping up with it.

I have a question of my own. Is there a way to find and replace text from multiple files rather than opening up each m3u playlist individually, when the text to be replaced is  the same in each case?

Edit: Ignore that, a word macro can do it very easily

Music files moved...

Reply #11
Hi there,

I have the same problems after I relocated some music folders.

After all these years, is there any way foobar can handle that issue natively or any component that can do that?
Or do I have to process dozens of playlists the same way that was mentioned above (save m3u8 playlist > edit with notepad)... 

Well at least there is Notepad++ and Regular Expressions...

Nevertheless, any help appreciated

P.S. I have my playlists organized with plorg

Music files moved...

Reply #14
Thank you both for the quick reply! 
Just tried it, works as it should.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019