Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rockbox for the Ipod finally working (Read 116642 times) previous topic - next topic

Rockbox for the Ipod finally working

Reply #150
Or you could go bitch somewhere on the Rockbox site (or their IRC channel), where someone might actually take your ideas and implement them, since here it's basically pointless. Like keytotime said, it's just falling on deaf ears here.

Reply #151
Firon, I don't think it's falling on deaf ears here (a pun intended?)
I think, many Rockbox guys will actually read this post. because of the "hydrogenaudio" in the url  .
I really don't think anyone was bitching here. really. it is totally sane to talk about what different people like, think and want.
and, I think every developer likes to hear, what the potential users of his software would like to see in it. what would else be the point in making software - open-source / freeware especially. it is from users for users, who are not satisfied with the status quo. so...

one question: talking about "off-topic"

has anyone around here proclaimed the topic of this thread? it was started with the information that rockbox was working on the ipod.

davechapman, out of curiousity, are you a Rockbox developer?

Reply #152

He is.  Look at the ipod page on the rockbox.org site.

Reply #153
neomoe: No pun intended!
I guess I didn't really consider the possibility of there being Rockbox developers here.  In any case, some of the posts really DID sound like bitching, but not all of them.
Still, I think it might be better to talk about UI improvements or any suggestion really on the Rockbox forums/IRC, where it's more likely to get taken into consideration. Plus, it may already be being discussed on there, so your ideas may already have been thought of (and possibly being in the works)!

davechapman: thanks for your contributions to this port, it might just convince me to buy an iPod, 'cause the features and improvements are quite appealing to me

Reply #154

Yes I am.  You'll see my name all over the Rockbox wiki in relation to the iPod port (and other things - mainly the audio codecs).

It shouldn't be a surprise that a lot of people involved with Rockbox are also members of HA - they both appeal to people with an interest in digital audio.  But yes, the best place to discuss Rockbox features and future development is on the Rockbox forums - http://forums.rockbox.org

Don't get me wrong - I don't object to people criticising Rockbox.  But it does get frustrating when people criticise Rockbox for not having certain features (like a good tag database) when the developers themselves agree that those features are needed, but just haven't had the time to finish implementing them.

Reply #155
neomoe: No pun intended!
I guess I didn't really consider the possibility of there being Rockbox developers here.  In any case, some of the posts really DID sound like bitching, but not all of them.
Still, I think it might be better to talk about UI improvements or any suggestion really on the Rockbox forums/IRC, where it's more likely to get taken into consideration. Plus, it may already be being discussed on there, so your ideas may already have been thought of (and possibly being in the works)!

davechapman: thanks for your contributions to this port, it might just convince me to buy an iPod, 'cause the features and improvements are quite appealing to me
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes I am.  You'll see my name all over the Rockbox wiki in relation to the iPod port (and other things - mainly the audio codecs).

It shouldn't be a surprise that a lot of people involved with Rockbox are also members of HA - they both appeal to people with an interest in digital audio.  But yes, the best place to discuss Rockbox features and future development is on the Rockbox forums - [a href="http://forums.rockbox.org]http://forums.rockbox.org[/url]

Don't get me wrong - I don't object to people criticising Rockbox.  But it does get frustrating when people criticise Rockbox for not having certain features (like a good tag database) when the developers themselves agree that those features are needed, but just haven't had the time to finish implementing them.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364452"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn't want to disrespect the work of the Rockbox team, sorry, if it sounded like that..
actually, I am really happy with an iPod port!

and, no - it's not a suprise...

I'll create an account on the Rockbox forum and will link to this post. hopefully the suggestions here are welcome.

Reply #156
Nearly working 5g audio? Great, i'm buying one today then.

As opposed to those decrying the efforts of the rockbox team, i'd like to thank them - I can now play my 250gb musepack/flac collection on a decent sized and currently available dap without transcoding. That, to me, is gold. Now go on, flame me for my choice of codec...

Reply #157
@ seanyseansean

If it's a loseless codec it's a good codec. But just from a size point, wavpack is smaller than than Flac and Rockbox support's both.

Reply #158

heh, yes!... it would be as if half way through apple developing the ipods firmware people complained that it didn't have enough features... this project on the other hand is one which we get to see the development process... and you can actually contribute or suggest idea's unlike apples (or others) where users have virtually no say in the matter...

thanks again to all the developers, I've been wanting a solid state (at least multiple GB) DAP for a while and with apple having the only hardware that meets my needs, rockbox has been something I've been following for quite a while... I'm almost ready to bite the bullet and buy one... (I know once I do someone, probably apple, will release a >4GB model... )

Peace

Reply #159
just did a few posts. nice guys over there :-)
not really, but okay. I'll just sit here, watching.

Reply #160

that is a really good point.

i just registered in rockbox forum

Reply #161

that is a really good point.

i just registered in rockbox forum
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364561"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

... and I just bought my ipod

Reply #162
... and I just bought my ipod
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364731"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

... and now it's been Rockboxed. It's ugly, but absolutely fantastic. Hats off to Dave, Preglow and the rest of the devs, I might even donate at this rate.

Reply #163
can't wait to try it in mine!

Reply #164

Just so we're clear, you shouldn't take it as a criticism, you should take it as a suggestion, or perhaps simply as a different perspective on things.

All I was trying to say in the first place is that after looking at the current functionality of Rockbox, I wouldn't install or use it because it lacks some functionality that I consider crucial. Others will disagree. But in bringing up the database topic and such, I was only pointing out what I personally consider to be essential and what I consider Rockbox to be missing.

I mean, some people think massive format support is great and incredible. Some people think gapless is critical. I am not one of those people. I just felt that it was important to say that, because I really would like to see open source projects get up to the level of the current closed source projects in terms of functionality and usability. If all the feedback is positive, then where does the improvement come from?

Hey, it's your project. You can do whatever you want, I would never presume to tell you otherwise. But if people giving honest evaluative feedback frustrates you, well, I really can't think of anything to say to that that doesn't sound negative and overly harsh.

Reply #165
This is gold! Just as I buy an iPod, Rockbox works on iPods

Gapless and vorbis are working a treat

All hail Rockbox!

Reply #166
How is the work going on the 3rd generation Ipods?  Should I wait or trade up?

John

Reply #167
The 3rd gen port is being developed.

Reply #168
Hey, it's your project. You can do whatever you want, I would never presume to tell you otherwise. But if people giving honest evaluative feedback frustrates you, well, I really can't think of anything to say to that that doesn't sound negative and overly harsh.

My frustration is simply that I agree with you -  tag-based browsing and smart playlists are a Good Thing.  You don't need to keep trying to persuade me

Reply #169
Man I just saw this thread. mpc support on an ipod? I never thought I'd see that day.

Congrats rockbox people!

I'll have to look back soon to see if you figured out the audio on the video ipods.
"Droplets of Yes and No, in an ocean of Maybe"

Reply #170
Man I just saw this thread. mpc support on an ipod? I never thought I'd see that day.

Congrats rockbox people!

I'll have to look back soon to see if you figured out the audio on the video ipods.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365096"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Audio works fine on my iPod video...

Reply #171

Congrats rockbox people!

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365096"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Audio works fine on my iPod video...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365227"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Aye, same here

Reply #172
This looks really interesting.
Too bad I'm unable to test it, since it only support Windows and not Mac formatted iPod's!

Reply #173
This looks really interesting.
Too bad I'm unable to test it, since it only support Windows and not Mac formatted iPod's!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365327"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Surely you can borrow use of a windows pc from a friend or family member for a few minutes??

Reformat your ipod with the ipod updater to FAT format (it will still work on your mac fine). Setup Rockbox following the guide.

To upadte to newer rockbox versions, you can do this on your mac. Just extract the new builds onto the ipod and your set.

Kristian

Reply #174
kritip. Thats an option, but I prefer to stay away from FAT32.
Afterall I switched to Mac to get a rest from all the problems with Microsoft related products.

I'll just watch the Rockbox development closely and hope they add HFS support to their bootloader code soon!