Skip to main content
Topic: Boost AC3 volume without re-encoding (Read 15701 times) previous topic - next topic

Boost AC3 volume without re-encoding

I've demuxed an AC3 file (DD 5.1 stream) from a DVD movie. Trouble is, i find the overall volume to be a little low. Is there a way to increase volume without reencoding, like mp3gain style?

Would like to avoid re-encoding as this will result in quality loss. Thanks.

Reply #2
ac3 is always low, enable DRC on your decoder (if its ac3filter turn on drc and crank up the preamp for it, maybe even move up the main gain)
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #3
I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do here, but technically it is possible to do a lossless gain change like it can be done for AAC files -- but only in steps of 6 dB. (I guess no program has been written to do this yet. So this reply is not of much use for you unfortunately.)

I just wanted to mention it.

Sebi

Re: Boost AC3 volume without re-encoding

Reply #4
it's been more than 10 years since last replay.
maybe now there is a program that can boost AC3 volume losslessly like MP3 gain.
anyone?

Reply #5
Technically, you could overwrite the pre-applied dynamic gain information, which is encoded into the track. But then you'd have to rely on the decoder having the AGC processing turned on. Plus, I haven't looked at a52dec, so I don't know the precision of the gain values.

Reply #6
So there is no easy solution. I have to be expert to do this.

Reply #7
Or wait for an expert to write software to do it for you.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018