Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME problem samples - samples (Read 33804 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME problem samples - samples

Reply #25
Do you mind trying 3.90.3 --alt-preset 270 (or alt-preset insane)?

Edited: Sorry, should go to the discussion. Can one of the moderators move it there pleease?

Only latest Lames are affected (3.97 and higher), and ONLY in HIGH QUALITY mode (-h) down to -q 0.
The ringing dissapears when encoding in default quality.

J.M.

Reply #26
Do you mind trying 3.90.3 --alt-preset 270 (or alt-preset insane)?
...Only latest Lames are affected (3.97 and higher), and ONLY in HIGH QUALITY mode (-h). ...

Thanks a lot. And I'm glad to hear that latest Lame version is fine as well using plain defaults.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #27
Here is a fixed sample: scooter_fixed.flac
Sorry to all you who weren't able to hear the pre-echo in the previous sample, because it simply wasn't there. The previus sample had beginning silence cut out, and this made the pre-echo dissapear (possibly because of different block size selection)

J.M.

Reply #28
Sample: uh.flac

Problem:
alteration in stereo image
Female vocal move to right compared to original.
IMO -ms fix this.

Settings:
-V 5~0 --vbr-new

Version:
LAME 3.97b2
LAME 3.98a6

Reply #30
I've uploaded a 10s wav file (1725kb) to the uploads section:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ost&id=2554

That sample is the first ten seconds of "La Di Da Da" by Jebediah.  I normally encode at the V5 setting and noticed that this sample had much lower quality than usual.  The guitar plucks around the 1-second mark sound echoey/slurred.  I also tried it at V2, which improved the problem but a difference to the original was still clearly audible (19/20 ABX).  Foobar reports a drop in bitrate at the time (to ~84kbps for V5 and ~116kbps for V2), so I also tried the CBR 192 and ABR 192 settings.  Both of these fix the problem AFAIC.

Since the sample is at the start of the track, I re-ripped & encoded it, this time including the last ten seconds of the previous track. This sounded the same as before (10/10 ABX), so the problem is not caused by being right at the start at the song.

Encoder:  LAME 3.97b3
Settings: V5/V2 VBRnew

Average bitrates for the whole song:
V5 - 140kbps
V2 - 217kbps
ABR192 - 185kbps

Reply #31
Hi!

I am think thait it is problem sample what i am described at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=48944.

Sample at flac http://www.tfkc.ru/single/lame/09._Madonna...or_me)_cut.flac

3.97 final ABXable 10/10 at "-V 2" and "-V 2 --vbr-new" switches.

In additional to what i am wrote in that topic it is easy to hear and 10/10 abxable preecho with bitrate up to and including 320 kbps with lame 3.90.3.

edit: add direct link to sample and "3.97 final" line

Reply #32
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this is very interesting sample:

sylver.flac

It is from a track "Sylver - Forgiven". It has sharp "plucks" in it which get smeared.

ABX: Lame 3.97 -V0: 10/10
        Lame 3.97 -b 320: 10/10

This sample is easily ABX-able even at 320kbps! There is evident pre-echo or smearing of the "plucks".

-J.M.

Just to add, this sample sounds horrible with -b 128.

Reply #35
Gabriel, I have a good sample for you! I'm encoding a soundtrack for the movie "La Fille sur le pont". I tried to do it with lamedropXPd (Lame 3.97 Final) with settings corresponding to -V 4 -h. So, in my yamaha monitor headphones I noticed right away that the hiss in beginning of the movie suffers at certain places. Here's a sample, I hope your headphones are good enough to hear this distinct high frequency distortion.

Original FLAC:  Fille_Sample.fla
Lame Encode:  Fille_Lame_V4_h.mp3

Reply #36
Well, I found another nasty pre-echo killer sample, that is easily ABX-ed with -b 320. At first, this sample didn't look like anything very hard to encode, so I was actually surprised how bad it sounds even with -b 320.
here is it: shokk.flac (from the track "S.H.O.K.K. - Isn't It All A Little Strange")
J.M.

Reply #37
btw. which LAME version do you use?