Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I Recommend Phoenix (Read 4675 times) previous topic - next topic

I Recommend Phoenix

"Phoenix is a redesign of the Mozilla browser component, similar to Galeon, K-Meleon and Chimera, but written using the XUL user interface language and designed to be cross-platform."

edit by CiTay: Pheonix -> Phoenix, as requested by jonI  B)

edit by SK: hmm no mistake ...they actually called it "Phoenix" instead of "Pheonix", i thought i got the name wrong.

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #1
I would recommend this browser for anyone using Mozilla. My expierience is that is much more faster/stable than mozilla 1.1 . Im using the .3 version. Mozilla is way too bloated with crap IMHO
"I have learned a lesson from the lessons I have learned"

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #2
A few annoyances, but I have been using it recently.

It does feel a lot faster.  it seems to load pages faster to, but that might just be in my head.

(Since it does store it's profile in a different directory then Mozilla, a nice import option would be slick though)

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #3
I just switched from Mozilla to Phoenix. Pretty nice. The memory indicator on my system tray showing a nicer number now. However, I can't use my favourite theme "Pinball" now... argh... I like Pinball simply because it's small and takes up the least space on the window. Any similar theme?

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #4
Hmm, is that Pinball theme reallly that small??
Takes even less space than
this?

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #5
Yeah... check it out here. Notice that the toolbar is shortened and compressed, as well as the tabs and the status bar.

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #6
Really cool.

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #7
is it faster than opera? "faster than mozilla" doesn't really say all that much...

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #8
7MB, no installation, download, extract, test, it's cool.
What i can say for sure is that it is much better than Opera in displaying websites correctly (mozilla i mean), Opera has many problems because it's support of web standards lacks.

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #9
mmm... yep

phoenix is for the "only needing a browser" guys...
mozilla is for the "needing a browser with a kitchen sink" guys...

phoenix is much more stable then the .1 incarnation, so if you downloaded .1 and thought it sucked due to lack of features, etc... give it a try again.

and .4 should be much better even

their doesn't seem like any need for opera now, does there? despite the fact that opera wasn't ever really needed due to the inability to render html/css correctly in the first place...

...guys="people of undisclosed gender"

later
mike

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #10
despite the fact that opera wasn't ever really needed due to the inability to render html/css correctly in the first place...

ha. mouse gestures and better css rendering than IE6.0
opera 0wn5 j00. not half as much as mozilla/phoenix though. 
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #11
i never really looked into it (i.e. checked code against output), and so i just assumed that the browser headed by the guy who developed css would make sure that his browser supported css... or maybe he just came on for version 7. and it supports standards, except for dynamic content... mostly, it's incorrectness hasn't bothered me, though the absurd slowness of mozilla has. also, the fact that i'm used to all the accelerators in opera, as well as the separation of form fields and links in the keyboard thinger keys. when i tried mozilla, it seemed that the accelerators were mostly like ie's which was cumbersome to me.

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #12
this?

WAAAH! an adopted Orbit skin! Orbit kicks ass! I need Phoenix NOW!! 

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #13
hm. it seems fast enough. but there are a lot of things missing in the configuration. maybe i'll use it when they develop it a bit more. certainly i'll keep it for those pages that opera doesn't like;)

oh, and btw, opera is a 3.5 MB download, so 7MB wasn't all that impressive, although i really like this no installation thing...

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #14
tabs! mouse gestures! bookmarks sidebar! compact orbit! omg, phoenix has it all   

looks like it's about time to say goodbye, mozilla!    we shared a short but good time.. 

(sorry, got carried away  )

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #15
oh, and btw, opera is a 3.5 MB download, so 7MB wasn't all that impressive, although i really like this no installation thing...

Opera is 3.5 MB download, and you need to download the Sun Java plug-in (~5.5 MB) for Opera to be able to use Java. So it's actually a bigger download for you if you're using Windows. Pheonix is 7 MB and doesn't need the plugin. And did anyone forget that Opera is not really free?  It's *ad* supported, or you can pay to have the ads removed.

edit: and further more, here's some text from the website:
9.  You said this is a lean, lightweight browser, but it's {7MB; 9MB}! I laugh at your silly lies!

Take it easy, sport. Phoenix is already 35% smaller than Mozilla. It's also worth noting that we're still carrying the weight of many Mozilla files that we've replaced. For example, we still build and ship with Mozilla's form manager, even though we now have Satchel, its lighter replacement. Phoenix also still contains a lot of Mozilla's chrome (front end) files, even though it has its own. We're still trimming the fat and we expect to be able to hit something near 6 MB (Windows) and 7-8MB (Linux) before we're done.

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #16
Apparently, Mozilla 1.2 themes don't work quite well with Phoenix, so I guess I'll have to wait until Phoenix themes start coming out before i can have nice small bars with nice big viewing area.

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #17

Opera is 3.5 MB download, and you need to download the Sun Java plug-in (~5.5 MB) for Opera to be able to use Java. So it's actually a bigger download for you if you're using Windows. Pheonix is 7 MB and doesn't need the plugin. And did anyone forget that Opera is not really free?  It's *ad* supported, or you can pay to have the ads removed.

edit: and further more, here's some text from the website:
9.  You said this is a lean, lightweight browser, but it's {7MB; 9MB}! I laugh at your silly lies!

Take it easy, sport. Phoenix is already 35% smaller than Mozilla. It's also worth noting that we're still carrying the weight of many Mozilla files that we've replaced. For example, we still build and ship with Mozilla's form manager, even though we now have Satchel, its lighter replacement. Phoenix also still contains a lot of Mozilla's chrome (front end) files, even though it has its own. We're still trimming the fat and we expect to be able to hit something near 6 MB (Windows) and 7-8MB (Linux) before we're done.

yes, i did notice that it's ad supported. i'm not quite that blind yet. but seeing as how i don't care whether something is free software or just free, it's not really an issue for me (it doesn't take up that much space on my monitor). there are other issues i have with phoenix, none of which you address. and you bring up an interesting point, though. why doesn't phoenix need the jre to be downloaded? is that why it's so damn huge? i've already downloaded sun's jre, so why the hell would i want to download it again? especially when phoenix just uses the installed jre anyway? bah humbug. it's like they said, it needs work (hmm.. version 0.3?). when it gets better than opera, i'll switch. until then, stop harassing me just cause i don't use the same programs you do (waitaminute. weren't you one of the people harassing me cause i won't put up the money for winrar? seems awfully strange to me...)

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #18
Apparently, Mozilla 1.2 themes don't work quite well with Phoenix

Hmm... they don't work at all for me, at least my favorite ones.
Can anyone share some expirience in successful applying Mozilla themes to Phoenix?

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #19
Apparently, Mozilla 1.2 themes don't work quite well with Phoenix

Hmm... they don't work at all for me, at least my favorite ones.
Can anyone share some expirience in successful applying Mozilla themes to Phoenix?

Mozilla 1.1 themes refuse to load with Phoenix. When I try 1.2 themes, it loads without an error, but the new icons do not show up (you still see orbit icons, some icons will simply disappear) but the spacing is changed. When I changed to Littlemozilla 1.2, I get the small menu and small bars, but with orbit/missing icons.

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #20
when it gets better than opera, i'll switch. until then, stop harassing me just cause i don't use the same programs you do (waitaminute. weren't you one of the people harassing me cause i won't put up the money for winrar? seems awfully strange to me...)

shimage.. i have no idea what your problem is. I never "harassed" you! And it's really annoying to be told i did.
I don't care if you don't use the same programs as i do, use IE 4 if you wish. I suggested Phoenix, that's all, and suggested WinRAR. that's ALL. And backed up my WinRAR suggestion by saying that i think it's price is good and the software and format is great. You said you'll never buy it, because it's not worth it, your opinion, and i stated my opinion, that's all. Didn't *harrass* you (what am i some sicko who likes to harass people for fun?).
My opinion is that Opera is not worth the money and even not worth the download. Because i can't stand the ads, and wouldn't pay for it because to my opinion it's not at all as good as Mozilla or Internet Explorer. And still they charge money for it. If it was really good, better than IE or Mozilla, i sure would buy it, but i don't see such a thing ever happening. And have no reason to buy it when free alternatives without ads exist. This is my opinion, you may think it's better than everything and i have no problem with this at all.

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #21
Mozilla 1.1 themes refuse to load with Phoenix.

Ok, I see.
I've tried to install 1.1 themes (breeze, lopbury flat).
And at the end got themes dialog totally messed up (no preview, tabs went to bottom etc.).
I've payed no attention to that part about incompatibility between different versions in mozdev intro, tnx for hint.

I Recommend Phoenix

Reply #22
By the way, when i say Mozilla, i don't mean the Mozilla the browser component. I mean the code in general. Pheonix uses Mozilla, it's just a different browser.