Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: -a vs -mm? (Read 3498 times) previous topic - next topic

-a vs -mm?

OK, I'm stumped - what's the difference between the -a switch and the -mm switch?
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.

-a vs -mm?

Reply #1
Not much difference...

-a    downmix 
Mix the stereo input file to mono and encode as mono.
The downmix is calculated as the sum of the left and right channel, attenuated by 6 dB.

This option is only needed in the case of raw PCM stereo input (because LAME cannot determine the number of channels in the input file).
To encode a stereo PCM input file as mono, use "lame -m s -a".

For WAV and AIFF input files, using "-m m" will always produce a mono .mp3 file from both mono and stereo input.

-mm  stereo mode
mono
The input will be encoded as a mono signal. If it was a stereo signal, it will be downsampled to mono. The downmix is calculated as the sum of the left and right channel, attenuated by 6 dB.
Juha Laaksonheimo

-a vs -mm?

Reply #2
I understand everything except the bit about using "lame -m s -a" - wouldn't that downmix the file to mono, but then encode it as a stereo mp3?
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.

-a vs -mm?

Reply #3
No, -m s -a will downmix to mono and encode it as mono.

You can check this yourself with CoolEdit or something...
Juha Laaksonheimo

-a vs -mm?

Reply #4
Well, then, I'm confused - according to lame --help, -m s gives you (s)tereo mode...

-a vs -mm?

Reply #5
I guess the answer is that if you are going to downmix to mono you want 2 discrete channels to start with and not joint stereo which would confuse the issue. (Sounds reasonable, but I am only guessing!!)

john33