Skip to main content
Topic: "Transcoding" WITHIN a format - sort of! (Read 1970 times) previous topic - next topic

"Transcoding" WITHIN a format - sort of!

Random question:

If I go through the following, are there any penalties on quality?

1) Encode a WAV file to (say) MP3/128k/44.1khz
2) Burn the track to audio on CD
3) Rip back to WAV
4) Encode to MP3/128k/44.1khz

The codec and settings are just picked as typical, the point being that the same encoder and settings are used in 1) and 4) above. Is there a loss at step 4) compared to step 1)?
Assumptions are that the burning and ripping is error-free, so I guess it's tantamount to encode/decode/encode again (at the same settings).

I have a reason: I have a fair few MP3 files for which I don't have the original WAV any longer (don't ask!). If I burn them to CD I can play them on my home stereo etc. Can I safely delete the original files on hard disk, knowing that I can rip back to the files if I use the same encoder and settings?

Reply #1
Encoding a wav to mp3, then burning that mp3 to a audio disc, then ripping that disc to the wav format, then encoding that wav format would be exactly the same as transcoding a 128kbps mp3 to a 128kbps mp3.  Thuss, the quality will be decreased.  I know I would hear the difference but you might not hear the difference.  The only question I have is this: Why do all those steps?

It sounds like you don't have the source wavs anymore but have the mp3's ripped from the CD, why not just transcode them to the format and bitrate of your choice?  Why are you encoding them twice (it would also be the same as transcoding the source CD 3 times!)?

If you mus transcode, just do it once.  Don't do it two times.

Reply #2
I have a reason: I have a fair few MP3 files for which I don't have the original WAV any longer (don't ask!). If I burn them to CD I can play them on my home stereo etc. Can I safely delete the original files on hard disk, knowing that I can rip back to the files if I use the same encoder and settings?

You can try to convert mp3 like  10 times, and I'm sure you'll notice the difference

Burn a CD Extra/ Mixed Mode CD
Burn audio CD format and also DataCD in one CD, put audio in first session, mp3 in the second session...... then delete the file on HDD

You can do it with Nero

Reply #3

You can try to convert mp3 like  10 times, and I'm sure you'll notice the difference

Burn a CD Extra/ Mixed Mode CD
Burn audio CD format and also DataCD in one CD, put audio in first session, mp3 in the second session...... then delete the file on HDD

You can do it with Nero
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341458"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah I know that's an option, as is keeping the MP3 files on separate CDs too. At the moment there's no big issue since I can spare the HD space and I've been backing up to CDs anyway. It was more a "what if" sort of question, what if I lost the MP3 originals and only had the burnt audio CDs to fall back on. I guess I should try it and see if I can ABX any loss...

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019