Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A Way To Revolutionize X86 Cpu Performence (Read 7642 times) previous topic - next topic

A Way To Revolutionize X86 Cpu Performence

Reply #25
  Well I don't intend any flamewar or anything. But I think proposing such an extension is a little bit fruitless. Because it's Intel and AMD who's designing the chips. And Intel already probably taped-out its latest x86 design. Moreover there're lots of other complications with processor production. One can't simply argue in favor of adding new instructions and registers without knowing how intel processor handles things in hardware or how many new transistors are going to be introduced. What will happen to pipelines, etc.? It's a massive design issue. You can't update your cpu in a day. That's why I personally find it fruitless, we have much better alternatives to direct engineering effort into (like IA-64).
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #26
This sounds similar to what Intel is doing with hyperthreading in using unused registers to do work faster.  It would be great to have processors have a real speed boost coming from something other than just another clockspeed upgrade.

Yes it does sound like Intel's Hyper Threading.  Unfortuantely, the software has to be optimized in order to take advantage of it, just like MMX, SSE, and SSE2...

Reply #27
http://www.geek.com/procspec/features/revx86/index.htm

I've been reading this and it's really interesting!
Warning, not for computer non-freaks.

After reading this text I recommend the author of this text to employ with following
topics:

- mode of operation of modern CPUs introduced with Pentium Pro / Pentium II / AMD K-6
- mode of operation of CPUs introduced with Transmeta / Pentium 4
- typical problems / constraint in modern CPU design
- building of compilers / code optimization of compilers
Diocletian

Time Travel Agency
Book a journey to the Diocletian Palace. Not today!

Reply #28
Thanks but no, the surprise element is a powerful tool (pfff yeah ..)

Reply #29
I once thought Intel is evil in the sense that they form peaceful coexistence with Microsoft and support ideas like palladium. But still they want to produce better technology (unlike Microsoft and possibly AMD) and therefore aim for doing some good for community. Yet all MS and AMD cares for is their revenue.
I don't think I'd ever buy AMD again.

Alp

Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought AMD was the one who gladly implemented palladium technology into their hammer and Intel who rejected the palladium technology.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Both AMD and Intel both embraced Palladium with open arms... They are the biggest supporters of Microsoft's communist software/hardware... :/

ur wrong.

intel refused at first, but at some point for some reason, they agreed.. or forced to agree (??).

but AMD, in order to lick some serious microsoft ass, went away and implemented it.

Reply #30
ur wrong.

intel refused at first, but at some point for some reason, they agreed.. or forced to agree (??).

but AMD, in order to lick some serious microsoft ass, went away and implemented it.

I have a hard time believing that Intel would be against it since they were the first ones to start off with discriminating their users... Remember their PIII with a unique code that could be used to identify each and everyone on the Internet?