Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Download complete in PDF / HTML (Read 7083 times) previous topic - next topic

Download complete in PDF / HTML

Sorry is this is too newbie...

Is there a way to download the complete KB for browsing without internet access (formatted in some way, PDF, HTML , whatever )

Thanx.

Reply #1
No. There is no offline version of the KB. The KB is updated constantly and it becomes tedious to re-compile the offline version every time a minor change is made. You just have to read it online.

Reply #2
And isn't a way to automatically produce a, let's say, daily snapshot in several formats ?

I suppose it's in some master format and it can be "compiled" to several standad format like HTML.

Reply #3
I can't image that the functionaily is built into the wiki.  THe whole point of a wiki is that it is easy to edit and update, and that it is ever-changing.

I expect you could create your own offline version using an offline browser app, like Teleport Pro or Webreaper.  However, this will just put unnecessary strain on the webserver and annoy the mods.

Why not just create a bookmark?!

I use Firefox and have "hyd" set as my keyword - which means I can just open the browser, type in "hyd" and up comes the list of new posts.  You could do something similar for the wiki.  You could even create a Firefox search engine plugin that let you search the wiki.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #5
I'm about to spider the site with Telepor Pro... it was my second option.

I just have internet here at work, and don't have time to do the proper reading.

And at home, I got time, but no connectivity.

Reply #6
Wikipedia makes dumps of their database available. You could try to find out how they do it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=338518"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where do they do that ?
That sounds interesting...

If I could make a chtml would be great.

Reply #7
Google is your friend.

http://download.wikimedia.org/

You can download raw dumps at the link above. However, the wiki engine at Wikipedia doesn't seem to offer any download capabilities. Furthermore, I bet the dumps are not formatted as HTML.

If the administrators at the HA KB don't offer database dumps, I guess you're out of luck.

Reply #8
The database dumps are mySQL scripts afaik so unless you run a mySQL server on your computer they are useless.

Your only option is to rip the site as suggested. I would use wget.exe.

Reply #9
The database dumps are mySQL scripts afaik so unless you run a mySQL server on your computer they are useless.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=338532"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, for wikimedia, they are in some kind of XML based format. Although database dumps are available in SQL format too.

Reply #10
I could use an SQL dump.
I got SQL Yukon running in my w2k.

But, what application / reader do I use to see the stuff ?

I don't feel like doing select * and 20 zillions joins to see the KB !!! 

I really don't undestand it well.

Every documentation project I know of, have some mean to output to several formats.
A daily snapshot would be the bread and butter of a documentation projet.
maybe I'm not well focused here and I'm missing the point...