Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A few questions about eac/flac (Read 2124 times) previous topic - next topic

A few questions about eac/flac

Hi.

If I rip with EAC to wavs, then convert those wavs to flac, is there any audio loss?  I understand you can do this all in one step with eac, by adding this extra step, does it make a diffrence?  Also, going from Flac to mp3, would this reduce audio quality any?

I want to use mp3s on my portable player.  I also want to keep a flac libary for my home computer.  Is there anything else I could do to make these any better than what I am currently doing?

Another quick question I cant seem to find a answer to... If I convert my flac back to wavs, audio loss?

Sorry for the silly questions, I am still trying to get all of this down.  There is alot of info here and often its hard to digest it all.

Reply #1
If I rip with EAC to wavs, then convert those wavs to flac, is there any audio loss?
No.  FLAC is a lossless audio codec.

I understand you can do this all in one step with eac, by adding this extra step, does it make a diffrence?
No.

Also, going from Flac to mp3, would this reduce audio quality any?
Yes.  MP3 is a lossy audio codec.

I want to use mp3s on my portable player.  I also want to keep a flac libary for my home computer.  Is there anything else I could do to make these any better than what I am currently doing?
Use MAREO, REACT, WACK or FLACAttack to  convert to both FLAC and MP3 in one run.

Another quick question I cant seem to find a answer to... If I convert my flac back to wavs, audio loss?
No.  FLAC is a lossless audio codec.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
Thanks.

I understand MP3 is a lossy codec, Going from eac wavs to mp3 and flac to mp3 is basically the same diffrence, right?  Same audio loss.

by using MAREO, REACT, WACK and so on to rip two files of each track? One mp3 one flac, does this just save me time?  I guess this is basically the same as the first question.  As of now, im just trying to make things as simple as I can.  Can I rip to flac and rip that flac to mp3 and have the same effect as these programs would give me?  When I rip from flac to mp3, I do get the option to keep the old original flac file and that file isnt altered, right?