Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mp3 Player (Read 5936 times) previous topic - next topic

Mp3 Player

Okay, I'm finally going to buy me a MP3 player (don't want to wait for ogg, since I recently converted to MPC and use 128 kbps CBR for LoFi MP3s).
What I need is the following:

MP3 Player (fully standards compilant; VBR etc.)
- good soundquality (nice Headphones etc.)
- Smart Media Based (Have multiple cards lying around)
- does not have to come with memory
- USB
- no shitty transfer software
- sexy looking / small
- cheap (150$ max.)

Anyone knows a device which fits my needs?

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Mp3 Player

Reply #1
Im looking for something similar, but it needs to be able to take CompactFlash memory, does such a player exist?

Mp3 Player

Reply #2
Okay, I'm finally going to buy me a MP3 player (don't want to wait for ogg, since I recently converted to MPC and use 128 kbps CBR for LoFi MP3s).
What I need is the following:

MP3 Player (fully standards compilant; VBR etc.)
- good soundquality (nice Headphones etc.)
- Smart Media Based (Have multiple cards lying around)
- does not have to come with memory
- USB
- no shitty transfer software
- sexy looking / small
- cheap (150$ max.)

Anyone knows a device which fits my needs?

dev0

This should do: http://prodb.matsushita.co.jp/products/pan...SV/SV-SD80.html ...  (And it also support AAC... B))

P.S. "No shitty transfer software"... It ain't going to happend... Sorry, but you'll have to use RealMedia or some crap like that...

Mp3 Player

Reply #3
MP3 PLAYER + VOICE RECORDER looks good, has anyone experiences with it?

Mp3 Player

Reply #4
This should do: http://prodb.matsushita.co.jp/products/pan...SV/SV-SD80.html ...  (And it also support AAC... B))

My Japanese has weakened since WW II, so is there an English version of this site, too?  And are you sure that this player already exists (= can be bought outside of Japan) and really plays AAC files or not? I'm asking this, because I edit the Wiki at audiocoding.com now and then and would like to add this URL, if this player is capable of the AAC format.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

Mp3 Player

Reply #5

My Japanese has weakened since WW II, so is there an English version of this site, too?  And are you sure that this player already exists (= can be bought outside of Japan) and really plays AAC files or not? I'm asking this, because I edit the Wiki at audiocoding.com now and then and would like to add this URL, if this player is capable of the AAC format.

1. I don't know if it can be bought outside Japan, but I do know you can buy it in Japan... (*doh*) It was released more than a year ago... Retails for 19800 yen which is around 160-170 USD, or something like that... You still need a disc or two and the encryption thingy though...

2. Well it's supposed to be able to playback AAC so I've asked a friend of mine to try it... I'll let you know as soon as I can...

Mp3 Player

Reply #6
1. I don't know if it can be bought outside Japan, but I do know you can buy it in Japan... (*doh*) It was released more than a year ago... Retails for 19800 yen which is around 160-170 USD, or something like that... You still need a disc or two and the encryption thingy though...

Yes, it can, because I found it on a german website in the meantime (dev0, are you listening?) 

http://www.amiro.de/testberichte/2431683.html

Amiro, also known as http://www.ciao.com, seems to be a large product database where all registered users can make comments or reports and also add new products of any kind, MP3/AAC players too, of course - really impressing... There are several international versions of it, in English, Spanish, Italian and French (see "Spracheinstellungen" at the bottom of the page).

2. Well it's supposed to be able to playback AAC so I've asked a friend of mine to try it... I'll let you know as soon as I can...

According to this test report it does (and other Panasonic players, too, as well as Aiwas - wow...)
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

Mp3 Player

Reply #7

You can buy SV-SD80 at this site in English language.
http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=zpmp&id=1990741802

Mp3 Player

Reply #8
You can buy SV-SD80 at this site in English language.
http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=zpmp&id=1990741802

Also a great site, thank you! And I really like the search functions there, especially when searching through "all" products with audio format "AAC"... 
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

Mp3 Player

Reply #9
Here's a possible option:

http://www.americas.creative.com/shop/shop...sp?Category=180

A Nomad II (refurbished) with no memory for 49.99.... fits most of your requirements....(uses Smartmedia)

I have one and am pretty happy with it....headphones that come with it really suck so budget for a decent set....

The software works fine for me...It is Creative but I've seen other jukebox software that supports the Nomad.

Also has FM radio and voice recording.....pretty small too....

Mp3 Player

Reply #10
Looks excatly like what I need...
Did anybody made any experiences with Creative-Players and their "refurbished" things in special?
dev0

Mp3 Player

Reply #11
Okay, please help me out!
I'm considering buying one of the following MP3 Players:

Sonicblue RIO One

Creative Nomad IIc

MPMan F60-T6

Help me... I hate making decisions! I already have a 16, a 32 and a 128MB SmartMedia Card, so that is not an issue, but price is (<100$ would be fine) and of course all the points I mentioned earlier...

dev0

Mp3 Player

Reply #12
See how people rate the players on mp3.com (under hardware), for flash players at the moment I believe the best you can get are mpio DMG and mpio DMK...btw I run www.rioworld.org so I like Rio players as well, but they are not the best.

Mp3 Player

Reply #13
Just to warn you...I'm not sure that the Rio One uses Smartmedia cards...When I follow the Memory Card link on the sonic blue page it lists a smartmedia card but says it is NOT compatible with the Rio One player...it may use MMC cards (more expensive and you have smartmedia cards right???).

As I said, I have a Nomad II and am pretty happy with it..it doesn't make smartmedia cards incompatible with other devices like some older mp3 players I could name.....The Nomad has played all the mp3s and wma files I've thrown at it.  The wma option is nice for extra content/reduced quality like audio books.

Also with Creative behind it, at least the company should be around for a while..not that I'm crazy about Creative in general.

I also have a Rio 500.  If you can find one of these, I'd recommend it as well...I really like mine.  Unfortunately, it's now a "legacy" model and they're getting harder to find.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about your other potential choices.

Good luck

Mp3 Player

Reply #14
Okay, I'll go with the NomadIIc than... looked like the best solution to me, too. Is there any chance of future ogg-vorbis support?
dev0

Mp3 Player

Reply #15
The only company that seems committed to ogg is iRiver, they also have a new range of flash players...

My hunch is that many of these small Korean manufacturers will add ogg vorbis over time, other traditional companies such as Sonicblue, Creative Labs I suspect will only add it to new players, if it proves popular.

Mp3 Player

Reply #16
Im looking for something similar, but it needs to be able to take CompactFlash memory, does such a player exist?

Diva @ Global Junxion
Diva homepage

A friend of mine has one and he likes it

Mp3 Player

Reply #17
Cant seem to find any retailers in England who sell that Diva MP3 player?

Mp3 Player

Reply #18
If anyone is interested, here are links to UK retailers how sell the Diva MP3 Player

LINKS

Mp3 Player

Reply #19
I have just found out that the Diva takes type I compactflash cards.

Whats the difference between type I and type II.

I have type II will it work?