Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: My Recent Microsoft Experiece (Read 2274 times) previous topic - next topic

My Recent Microsoft Experiece

The company I work for decided to purchase several icenses to Microsoft Outlook XP through Dell. Since I work as the system administrator, I had to install this thing.

So I grab the Outlook cd and starts the setup procedre. When is asks for the cd-key, I look to the back side of the jewel case only to find a label with the following message: "This media shipped without a product key. In order to get your key, visit this url on microsoft.com". That url was really long and returned a 404 Not Found error in the end.

So I call Microsoft Denmark and asks for help. After being transferred like forever, I get a nice lady who tells me that all volume licensing in Denmark is handled by Microsoft in Russia. I am to call them there. No problem, I call up Microsoft Russia and after being transferred around like forever finds the correct person to speak to. It might have been English coming from his lips, but I could not understand what he said. So I gave up and called Microsoft Denmark back. The lady tells me that all volume licensing in Denmark is handled by Microsoft Russia. She did not speak Russian either and really had no reason to help me out.

So I contacted Dell. They did not have our Outlook purchase on file. I had to speak with the salesperson. He calls me back next day. He is rather confused and knows nothing about Microsoft licenses, but he agrees to look into it.

A week later I receive an e-mail with all the licensing information. It is now called e-open. Attached is a 3 Mb word document. This is the manual needed to get the cd-keys. So I read the manual and logs onto the e-open site. The first thing I needed to do was to create a .NET password. Second I needed to click the right places and enter my 2x 40 digits authorization codes. And there smiling to me on my screen: The Outlook XP cd-keys (incorrect number of licenses, but the key none-the-less.

I wasted a total of 7 hours getting the cd-keys.
I truly hope they don't order any more Microsoft products.

My Recent Microsoft Experiece

Reply #1
I've always heard that Microsoft and service go together like fish and ice cream. This is another one of the horror stories... Man, they stink...