Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: File Sharing Programs (Read 8933 times) previous topic - next topic

File Sharing Programs

with every p2p file sharing program that is out there, is it possible for your ip address to be found out?

File Sharing Programs

Reply #1
Of course ...
Yep, most certainly possible.
Some people even download files shared by Kazaa from other users (after checking their IP) using download manager programs like FlashGet.
That's a useless thing to do, but such freaks are out there..
If you have a good firewall though (for Windows for example, Kerio Personal Firewall (free)) it won't allow them to find your IP.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #2
well what I was getting at was if it is always possible for the RIAA to be able to figure out your ip address so they can contact your internet provider for sharing.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #3
as can be concluded from what i said, yes  unless you have a good firewall that prevents them from finding your ip. (edited: stupid remark..)
ALWAYS use a firewall.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #4
A firewall won't stop anyone from finding your IP, it can only block cirtain ports.

Right now, the RIAA has the IP address of a verizon customer who was sharing 100s of songs on kazaa. They are trying to get a court order that will force verizon to tell them the name of the person who has that IP.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #5
i didnt think it was possible for a firewall to block your ip address.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #6
It can block ports, so they won't be able to access anything other than your shared kazaa files. Hmm meaning open Kazaa ports..
Wait... Oh man i was so wrong i can't believe it.. They can download from you, so they're getting the files directly from you, so they can know your ip... Is there any way that won't enable them to?..

(no proxy crap ...)

File Sharing Programs

Reply #7
Is there any way that won't enable them to

Nope... that's why it's called Peer to Peer.

You directly connect to someone else's computer using their ip address.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #8
isn't there some kind of p2p technology in the works that hides your ip?

File Sharing Programs

Reply #9

With the way the internet is set up, that just isn't possible...

Unless you use a proxy server, but that would make the file transfers go really slow.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #10
"Unless you use a proxy server, but that would make the file transfers go really slow."

Unless you know a really fast anonymous proxy server (probability is super low..)

File Sharing Programs

Reply #11
The only way you can prevent your IP address from being exposed would be to use some sort of a redirecting proxy address, probably in a foreign country for best effect, that would appear to be you as far as the service is concerned.  This proxy would need to handle the conversation in both directions to prevent your IP address from being exposed.

Alternatively keep in mind that most IP addresses for users, even those on cable modems and ADSL, are dynamically assigned.  If you change addresses often it would be difficult to determine who was using a particular address at a particular time.  Of course the ISP might be recording the assigned IP address in its billing data, but depending upon their software this might not be possible.
Dave

File Sharing Programs

Reply #12

I think this Free Network Project thingy uses encryption to somehow hide *what* exactly you are sharing, so the courts can't get you (in theory at least). In fact, *you* will not even know what your computer is sharing... only that your files are somewhere on the network --- being shared. It doesn't hide your ip though. 

http://freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/twiki/vi...ew/Main/WebHome

File Sharing Programs

Reply #13
OH oh oh hell no...
I tried that some time ago.. twice actually, second time to see what's changed.
Personally, i hate it, can't see a good future for it.
But maybe someone will like it ...

File Sharing Programs

Reply #14
 Radical Idea Here 

Maybe it's time to give a little.  The RIAA has done some pretty bone-headed things, but they have a right to fight for what is theirs. 

Copyright is a fragile idea.  It's like honesty or ethics.  Hard to explain or justify, but a critical piece of the foundation of our society.

"What's in it for me?", you might ask.  A civilized society, I believe, is the answer.

John F. Kennedy said in 1961, "Ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country."

Maybe it's time.

[getting down off my old oak soapbox now]

File Sharing Programs

Reply #15
Edit -- never mind (durnit, I miss the delete function of the previous board, or at least I think there was one).

File Sharing Programs

Reply #16
edited: HAha .. GOTCHA anyway..

I see an episode of a cartoon show on TV, then can't wait untill it's aired again.. Waiting waiting waiting and those jerks never air it , or i can never catch it.
So what do i do? I download it using P2P software . Usually the episodes are in VCD format, which means damn *200+* MBs for 20 minutes 320X240 resolution. So i download, convert the video to XviD and audio to Ogg Vorbis or MP3, comes out great. So i have an episode at the same quality of the stupid VCD one at around 62 MB for 20 minutes. Great or what?
Or what if i just feel like watching it again? Click click, bang. Great or what?
Illegal? pfff, give me a break ..
Sure downloading full movies and music is illegal, but P2P progs can be used for much more things. What about pictures?.. And LEGAL movies, clips, and mp3s?

P2P is great, what people choose to do with it may and may not be.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #17
> Sure downloading full movies and music is illegal, but P2P progs can be used for much more things.

A good point, but the fact that a car can be used for legal purposes doesn't protect it if it's used for a robbery.

We can distinguish between the illegal and legal uses.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #18
-I- could say "a car can be used for illegal purposes, but that fact doesn't prevent it from being protected when it's used for legal purposes"...
Twisting things is easy .
We can distinguish between the illegal and legal uses!

Take a knife, cut some bread, make a sandwitch.
Take a knife, kill your wife, get life...
Take a pillow, rest your head on it.
Take a pillow, choke somebody to death with it while s/he's asleep.
Take a PEN, stick it in somebody's eye...

Come on, nearly everything can be used for illegal purposes. Ban knives, ban everything.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #19
> nearly everything can be used for illegal purposes.

So it is left to us to act with good intentions.  It is what makes us civilized.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #20
Civilized...
I see no connection between good intensions and civilized ..
Civilizations are not built on good intentions, only some are.
Many companies are certainly not "civilized" if that's the case as you say..
Companies like Microsoft wish to take over the world in all aspects of life, destroy competitors, and thus make more and more money and lower the life quality of it's customers while telling them how great Microsoft is and how excited they'll be when they'll see their new shitty MSN 8 service that will make it possible for people to make "full use of the internet" and shit like that.

Civilizations are built on connections.
Anyway, as i see it, millions upon millions of people are not "civilized" by your definition. The ammount of people sharing copyrighted material is outstanding.
Does that mean we're all Yahoo's?? No...

Sharing illegal MP3's is NOT hurting the RIAA so much at ALL as i see it.
People can keep whining, but the fact is that CD's' prices are sky high still (THEY're the real pirates), didn't the RIAA learn a thing? No, they just don't really care, they're still super successful.
IF THEY WANT LESS "PIRACY" they will lower the prices of CD's by at least half,  something which will not hurt them, oh it sure as hell won't. It'll just make them less mega rich, that's all. People who've been downloading only illegal MP3's and copying CD's from their friends only for years will actually start buying CD's man...
They don't give a HOOT.. That's it basically.

File Sharing Programs

Reply #21
The only way you can prevent your IP address from being exposed would be to use some sort of a redirecting proxy address, probably in a foreign country for best effect, that would appear to be you as far as the service is concerned.  This proxy would need to handle the conversation in both directions to prevent your IP address from being exposed.

Get AOL cable 

File Sharing Programs

Reply #22
Ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country.

This of course is a rather primitive, irrational suggestion.

Illegal? pfff, give me a break biggrin.gif..
Sure downloading full movies and music is illegal, but P2P progs can be used for much more things. What about pictures?.. And LEGAL movies, clips, and mp3s?

You can't mean that serious, I suppose less than 1% of P2P activity is legal. So, if we want to stay with analogies don't compare it to cars but to guns or any thing which primary use is illegal.

We can distinguish between the illegal and legal uses!

Sometimes we can't, and that's why some very dangerous objects are forbidden (e.g. guns in europe).

Sharing illegal MP3's is NOT hurting the RIAA so much at ALL as i see it.
People can keep whining, but the fact is that CD's' prices are sky high still (THEY're the real pirates), didn't the RIAA learn a thing? No, they just don't really care, they're still super successful.
IF THEY WANT LESS "PIRACY" they will lower the prices of CD's by at least half, something which will not hurt them, oh it sure as hell won't.

And if I can't get this cheaper I'll take it for free...

(Sorry for dragging this discussion further off-topic)

File Sharing Programs

Reply #23
I don't see it as the RIAA getting hurt by P2P sharing..  more the artists who are losing out on valuable CD sales.  I do my best at being an artist part time, and have made an album of my own, just have never got round to scouting around for a record label.  But if/when I do, I would be seriously pissed off if I made 5 sales, then found my tracks floating round on KaZaA & WinMX.  Seriously, I need whatever portion of the money that would come my way, so to lose out on any portion of sales would be enough to make me want to rid the world of P2P!

And to that end I try to be as ethical as I can with my music collection.  I do download songs, which in effect makes me a hypocrit :oS  But, I download a single track by an artist, one that isn't on an album I would buy, or that just isn't on an album.  If their album has a 1/2 or more tracks I like, I'll buy the album.  If it doesn't, then I'd download the couple of tracks I like because they're not really losing on a sale, I wouldn't pay £10 [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](for either 2 singles or the album)[/span] just for 2 or 3 tracks :o)

Same goes for software which is another big problem, I am helping develop a mod which is intended to become a stand-alone game one day.  If people were downloading it instead of buying it, again I'd be well annoyed...
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

File Sharing Programs

Reply #24
"You can't mean that serious, I suppose less than 1% of P2P activity is legal. So, if we want to stay with analogies don't compare it to cars but to guns or any thing which primary use is illegal."

Cars' primary use is illegal? Not.
Guns' primary use is illegal? Not, but unfortunately in the hands of criminals it is.
Guns are LEGAL, as long as you LEGALY buy one, have a legal license.
If you're a security guard, what, you use an illegal instrument?? No, you use a LEGAL instrument, which it's primary use is legal.

Knives, pens, pencils, scissors, PAPERS, are legal and can be used for illegal things. Kazaa is illegal?! HOW is it illegal? It does nothing illegal, people can do illegal things with it like they can with almost anything else. PEOPLE are doing illegal things using legal things. Don't blame a great technology (P2P) for people's actions... Only people are to blame. So ban the technology, did you GAIN anything by banning it?? Certainly not.

":blink: And if I can't get this cheaper I'll take it for free..."

You will?..  That's what TOOOONS of people are doing, because they can't get it for cheaper they get it for free. I get it for not so cheap, but i have a financial state that allows me to.
As i said, the RIAA are the real pirates, they're literally stealing money from people, and while i know it i still buy CD's, to support artists! However i feel very angry that the RIAA are stealing money from me and others and thus hurting the artists.
The RIAA is hurting the artists the MOST! Not people who prefer to get it for free than pay too much money for it.

(this is a good discussion, i have nothing against you .. and, regards as some say)