Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Avatars Moderation? (Read 13723 times) previous topic - next topic

I have a little problem with some avatars: a bad "feeling" when viewing them.
It's strange, I think that you could say that I am perhaps a little offended or something like that, do not know exactly how to describe.

I know that you should be free to use whatever avatar you want, and the usual reply would be that I can ignore the forums if the content "offend" me.

But perhaps other are in the same situation. I'd like to hear your opinion about that: should the avatars be moderated?

Reply #1
When you begin seeing hateful or racist avatars, like a swastika, then yes.

Otherwise no. Respect that people in the UK, USA, Denmark and Israel are offended by different things + personal taste.  I personally have strong feelings against the Microsoft logo.

Reply #2
I think a similar discussion came up recently involving a member's signature.

Most laws involving obscenity use "community norms" as the comparitive factor for deciding such things.

I think the overall consensus was that if you are offended by an avatar that you discuss it by PM.

If no resolution is arrived at, I guess the moderators would have to decide.

Censorship is a really tough issue.

Reply #3
I perfectly understand that the person using this avatar probably did not intended to offend anyone.

I am this bringing this topic in order to know if I am the only one in this case.
I intentionnaly did not mentionned which specific avatar I am talking about in order to not influence opinions.

Reply #4
ps: of course I think that if we come to the conclusion that there is a problem, we should discuss about the solution and not censor the avatar.

I only mentionned moderating, and moderating can be self-moderating.

Reply #5
When you begin seeing hateful or racist avatars, like a swastika, then yes.

I don't think swastika is a good example considering it's *original* meaning. But I get your point and you're right. :-)

Reply #6
I have a little problem with some avatars: a bad "feeling" when viewing them.

If it's mine say, i will change it quickly don't want to offend anywone. ( Don't see if my avatar offend somewone but..)
Made in Portugal

Reply #7
Well, I haven't seen any personally offending avatars here.

Only avatar which I have "issues" with, is Garf's "child molester" avatar. The "issues" being that I wouldn't gladly link any outside "important" person from work or university to a thread which has Garf's posting and at the same time advertize that I'm an admin on this board.. 
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #8
No, it is not your avatar

Reply #9
Quick & Dirty solution for Gabriel and others who might be offended by someone's avatar:
Click 'Your control panel' button on the main forum page.
Search for the option 'Do you wish to view members avatars when reading threads?' in the 'Board settings' , Select 'No'. Click 'Go'
Ready, saves some bandwidth as well on a dial-up connection 
I understand that this is no solution for the underlying problem.

Reply #10
Not Garf either...

Reply #11
Is this going to be a guess competition? 
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #12
If no one is able to guess, then it probably means that I am over-puritain or something like that.

I do not remember who's avatar it is, but I remember the avatar. It's somethink that look like chains and blood.

Reply #14
The only one that's making my eyes bleed is this here! :x 

Reply #15
I haven't really seen any offensive avatars. Mine tends to leave people horny (want proof?) or wanting to play DOA3/X-box (y'all should see it on a widescreen 72" HDTV in hi-res mode). If anything could be considered offensive, it's the language. It can be quite colorful at times. My vote? Leave things as they are.

Xenno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Reply #16
It better not be this one.

Case said that's the only reason he visits this board.. so better not! 
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #17
No, it was something that looked (at least to me) neither related to audio neither funny, but I am unable to find it back.
The picture of an half-naked body with chains around it, and blood, something looking like a masochist scene.

Reply #18
I'm a big proponent of freedom of expression, but I was under the impression that anything I put on this board was subject to moderation.  I guess one take on this is that people could use whatever image, no matter how offensive, and be subject to criticism and ridicule for their choice.  But that gets far afield from what this board is about and we'd waste time, bandwidth and our hot air debating way off-topic posts. 

I really enjoy seeing others avatars and wouldn't want to give that up (i.e., turn them off) simply because I found someone's avatar really objectionable.  However, objectionable to me goes way beyond just being in bad taste and gets into racism, sexism, exploitation. 

Ultimately, I think it's the moderator/admin call whether we have them at all and what goes too far....
Yeah, when you call my name
I salivate like a Pavlov dog...

Reply #19
I talked with several people at irc. Nobody remembers that, and if you can't even find it, it can't be a very big problem? 
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #20
I think the Avatar you are referring to is a picture of a KISS band member. The person has allready changed his avatar to something else (dunno why), but I'm sure he'll speak up.

Reply #21
I think the Avatar you are referring to is a picture of a KISS band member. The person has allready changed his avatar to something else (dunno why), but I'm sure he'll speak up.

That would be me... Gene Simmons from KISS.
See it here: http://www.phazer.dk/avatar.jpg

Nothing whatsoever obscene about KISS. Diana Rigg is just so much cuter.

For more information about KISS see the movie Destroit Rock City or join the movement: Mothers Aghainst KISS" - did it's best it could to destroy rock and roll in the 70s.

Reply #22
That is probably why I am unable to find it back.
I do not think that it is really "obscene" neither offending.
But I had a "negative feeling"  that I am unable to explain in english.
Perhap I am really "over-puritain"?

Reply #23
No big deal, Gab?.

Reply #24
Diana Rigg is just so much cuter.

100% much better
Made in Portugal