Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Red Hat Linux 8 Released (Read 10228 times) previous topic - next topic

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #25
Any recommended distributions for 70% server, 20% development, 10% desktop use?

It depends on whether it is a private or business server.

If it is a private server, use what you know and like.

If it is a business server for a small company with too many customers and too few system administrators, go Red Hat.

If it is a business server for a small company with plenty of customers who demands stability, go FreeBSD og Debian.

If it is a business server with paraniod clients, go openbsd.

If you want unix on your microwaveoven, try netbsd.

If you want to set up linux in order to learn it and get a job, go Red Hat as it is the distribution used by most people and intended for business use.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #26
And if I bought a 24" SGI monitor (got to be at least $1000 cdn), I'd be slightly ticked if I couldn't run it at any resolution I wanted to.

Well, anyone with half the brain capacity of a 10 year old child knows that GeForce cards simply cannot run that high refresh rates at high resolutions... If you buy a shit expensive monitor to run high resolutions with high refresh rates, you ought to buy a professional graphics card... Something like Matrox or ATi, not GeForce...

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #27
Well, anyone with half the brain capacity of a 10 year old child knows that GeForce cards simply cannot run that high refresh rates at high resolutions... If you buy a shit expensive monitor to run high resolutions with high refresh rates, you ought to buy a professional graphics card... Something like Matrox or ATi, not GeForce...

Well, ever since ATI let other manufactorers make their own Radeon boards, signal quality widely varies, just like with nVidia. Even Radeon 9x00's two integrated 400 MHz RAMDACs can't help the fact that most cards show a severe lack of sharpness at 1600x1200 and even below, and the second output (DVI-I with analog adapter) is much worse.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #28
That won't happen before the GUI becomes more simple and more like Windows.

I don't think it ever will... MS spent millions on research in designing their GUIs, brought in experts on human interaction with computers, performed tons of blind tests, etc.  Linux can't ever do that with their development model, the GUIs will always have a slightly "amateur" feel because they WERE mostly designed by amateurs (in the area of GUI design).

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #29

Well, ever since ATI let other manufactorers make their own Radeon boards, signal quality widely varies, just like with nVidia. Even Radeon 9x00's two integrated 400 MHz RAMDACs can't help the fact that most cards show a severe lack of sharpness at 1600x1200 and even below, and the second output (DVI-I with analog adapter) is much worse.

Last time I checked one can still purchase an ATi built video card. One can also get a 3 year warranty with it. Unlike the powered by ATi boards.

I'm interested in checking out Redhat 8. My biggest grip with Linux distros in general is that sometimes programs don't install easily. Or you go download src, expecting the source to be able to compile (I installed the dev packages), and then it doesn't. So you go grab all the missing libraries, and then one of those won't compile. You follow the damn directions to the T, and you still can't compile a simple application. Very, very annoying. RPM and debs are supposed to be better, but I've even had problems with RPM's.

I believe that the distro's are working towards a more unified standard, so these problems will be minimized (libraries being located in different places and what not). Maybe after 8.0 matures a little bit I'll repartition one of my hard drives and give it a whirl. The biggest thing is that it has to be up and running, and running well, with all of my office applications (I figure KOffice, Mozilla, some IRC client, GAIM, and a media player, and a wav ripper than uses cdparanoia are all I really need. I just need them to always work, and not have to worry about the legality of it all) with no more than a single saturday's work (so like 11am to 7pm). I don't really have the time or energy to solve little stupid problems. Maybe in the near future FreeBSD 5.0 or some Linux distrobution will do this, but I still like to have it easily configurable to my tastes.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #30

Well, I haven't tried Radeon 9000, but I sure as hell know that nothing with an nVidia GPU can match the quality of Hercules 3D Prophet FDX 8500LE and ATi Radeon 9700 Pro... The first one I own myself and the second one I "used" when building a system for a friend of mine... "Total ownage" compared to GeForce...

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #31
Last time I checked one can still purchase an ATi built video card.

In Europe, they only sell "Powered by ATI"-models now, no more "Build by ATI".

but I sure as hell know that nothing with an nVidia GPU can match the quality of Hercules 3D Prophet FDX 8500LE

Huh  Signal quality of that card is rated "average" in c't 14/02. Several GF4 Ti4x00 cards have comparable or better signal quality (Tests performed at 1600x1200, 85 Hz). Could it be that you're slightly prejudiced in favor of ATI?

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #32
And if I bought a 24" SGI monitor (got to be at least $1000 cdn), I'd be slightly ticked if I couldn't run it at any resolution I wanted to.

umm, not many people, children or otherwise, memorize refresh rate tables for graphics cards.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #33
umm, not many people, children or otherwise, memorize refresh rate tables for graphics cards.

And why would they? Maximum refresh rate tables are what "xy Watts RMS" are on speakers.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #34
That won't happen before the GUI becomes more simple and more like Windows. Educating 100 people is rather expensive. It is also vital to have viable replacements for Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and Internet Explorer.
BlueCurve, OOo, Evolution and Mozilla (all included in RH8) might just do that trick.

I don't agree that the GUI should look "more like Windows". You might want to check out this article : Generating the next generation GUI. Quite concise and I think it summarizes pretty well why Windows environment is arrogant, and not pleasurable.

I remember now how much I liked my AMIGA back in the days  I wish GNOME brings back the pleasurable GUI, and I don't think it can achive that by trying to look more windows like.

Alp

BTW I think RedHat BlueCurve looks awesome.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #35
Windows is dying along with it's friends: MSOffice, Exchange and IIS.

There is no way any corporation can match an ever growing mob of angry nerds, who offer their programs for free. Combine this with government sponsored projects, software foundations like Apache and Xiph and vengeful corporations like Sun sponsoring OpenOffice.org, the death of Windows and friends is imminent.

It can happen in two different ways:

A: People start using free software at home and tell their employer that they know how to use and prefer this technology.

B: Some major corporations make a simple calculation: Cost of Microst software minus cost of training our employees. If the free software can do the required job and the training is cheaper than the MS licenses, there is only one decision to be made.

I believe a GUI that looks like something people already know will win this race...

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #36
i've been trying null etc and i like it, i switched from mandrake 8.2 because of well read the posts above, but anyway i choose to use redhat over xp when i can (altho in xp as i write this lol) although i have been using linux alot now days i have used it since redhat 5.2 and have enjoyed the seeing the progress made. but now i am wanting to move away from redhat for similar reasons as windows (and more of a challenge)which some of u may think the reasons are trivial but still i choose to try. i was thinking about gentoo but only when i get the bandwidth also it may be a bad or good idea but i wanna try freebsd as well. as i've heard good things could anyone post a comment on how hard it was a switch and how much did they learn don't want a huge 'this little thing went wrong' etc but a short sentance or 2 would do
i'd better check my hardware is compatable as well

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #37

As much as some would like this to be so, there is no proof to support this contention.  Linux is winning some converts in the server arena, but on the desktop MS is just as dominant, if not more, as always.

For now, the predictions of a linux 'world-takeover', is just science-fiction.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #38
A: People start using free software at home and tell their employer that they know how to use and prefer this technology.

This may eventually be true when people start knowing, and learning on their own, how to use software in general. Especially something that is slightly different than what they are used to.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #39
This may eventually be true when people start knowing, and learning on their own, how to use software in general. Especially something that is slightly different than what they are used to.

Mmm... But "regular" people prefer systems that don't take much hassle to do things. You know, they just want to use the computer, not to "waste" time learning how to use it, and IMO that is the weak point of Linux as opposed to Windows.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #40

...people doesn't want to 'learn to use software'... They want to use the software, if the software performs below their spectatives, they'll ditch it and search for another one that will be simplear, yet more powerful. They want something that they inmediately associate with something that they *already know*. It's all about 'being intuitive'. If any of the FreeOSs out there achieve that, the task is done, the market, conquered.

...and if you *wrongly* tried to install one program in the *wrong* OS, what is wrong is the OS, because you installed it in the hope it will run in you computer. The OS wasn't intuitive enough to figure it out...

...beware, i'm not advocating emulation.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #41

As much as some would like this to be so, there is no proof to support this contention.  Linux is winning some converts in the server arena, but on the desktop MS is just as dominant, if not more, as always.

For now, the predictions of a linux 'world-takeover', is just science-fiction.

Until very recently CEO of Microsoft, Steve Balmer, called linux some obscure operating system. He just changed his words to "Linux is a serious competitor". That is proof enough for me.

However - Windows is not Microsoft's hottest product. That is MSOffice. They have this monopolylike Office-Windows depency. With the new Office license model and the avalibility of OpenOffice.org, MSOffice has a very hard time. I will personally be replacing 100 Office97 installations with OOo within 2 months. Yes it feels good.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #42
OpenOffice.org (OOo) is very good indeed! I tried it and liked it a lot.
It is far more clean and more comfortable in my opinion than MS Office.
Although i rarely use office apps, when i'll need to, i'll use OOo, for sure.
What a great open source project.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #44
I use OpenOffice.org because sometimes I have to edit a file at school so the .doc format needs to work correctly.  So far OpenOffice.org has opened all my Word 97 and Word 2000 files correctly.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #45
I think Gobe Productive is going to be the office suite of GNOME sometime in the future.

Alp
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #46
Well here's another vote for Gentoo. I've been running Linux for around four years and Gentoo is the first distro that I've felt really comfortable with. Many people recommend Mandrake and RedHat as the perfect noob releases but I don't agree. They may be easier to install (although the Gentoo install doc is basically a walk through) but once they're up and running I gaurentee you'll reach rpm (RedHat package manager) dependency hell sooner or later. It's a sad thing that rpm has come to be the standard as in it's current guise it's a real mess. I lost count of the hours wasted trying to get an exact rpm for an exact library which then relies on another exact rpm.. etc.. Gentoo's package system avoids all this and has been a revelation. Imagine you want to install KDE (a desktop environment similar to Windows) all you need do is type 'emerge kde'. From there Gentoo will go off and dowload all the files it needs, it resolves any dependencies and then compiles all this against your CPU. Slow yes (KDE will take a few hours) but extremely elegent and simple. 

Anyone here thinking of looking at Linux for the first time would do well to look at Gentoo. As Dibrom said, it's also a good way to 'learn' Linux as nothing is hidden from the user. BTW, any problems or issues can often be quickly resolved or answered here:

Gentoo Forums

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #47
I think Gobe Productive is going to be the office suite of GNOME sometime in the future.

Alp

I thought it was AbiWord, Gnumeric, The Gimp, an Spanish project to make presentation, and... (don't remember, sorry)

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #48
Linux fanboyism sucks..  Linux doesn't seem to be the "next best thing" most people were making it out to be, Windows is still as dominant as it was, not to mention it improved quite a bit. I enjoy the fast Windows GUI with any other linux GUI I tried, it just wasn't good enough. I use my operating system to get my job done, and Windows 2000 is very good for that. If Linux gets the job done for you, fine. Unfortunately some people use an operating system to feel that they are some part of elite people while the rest of the world is ignorant and can't see the greatness of their OS.

Red Hat Linux 8 Released

Reply #49
The greatness of "their" OS is that it is by far better than Windows at ANYTHING related to security. If you want to run a server, will you use an MS server?! Yeah, just try it..
Another greatness of "their" OS is that it has far better 3D graphics capabilities than Windows. If you are a professional and know how to tweak things to work the way you want them to, you can reach outstanding results. But you're not a professional 3D graphics developer, and know nothing about it. As most of us.
Star Wars episode 2 for example, what systems were used to create it? LINUX. Not even the unix based Silicon Graphics IRIX systems.
Another greatness of linux is that it is far more stable and a better organized OS than Windows. (Damn the Windows registry..)
Linux has more advantages, and it has disadvantages. IT IS NOT as easy as Windows. IT CAN be frustrating to use. But Linux has a bright future as i see it.
In the future it will be much easier to use for the common people. Some distributions that is.
Linux is GOOD. Windows is GOOD. Only Linux is good at more things than Windows.
"Unfortunately some people use an operating system to feel that they are some part of elite people while the rest of the world is ignorant and can't see the greatness of their OS."

Yeah, SOME people. But for the vast majority that's not the reason at all.