Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: --alt-preset & -b192 -h -m S (Read 7842 times) previous topic - next topic

--alt-preset & -b192 -h -m S

Reply #25
Hi,

no it sounds ok, and it is, as far as i know, stereo.

PS: I just saw that the Album is recorded very quiet, the base is load, but vocals and snares are not so...

How can I find out if the CD is recorded Stereo or Mono?

Reply #26
Check the encodings in Encspot and look at the percentage of MS and SS. If it's like 98%+ of ms, then it's probably mono or very near mono.

Reply #27
Hi, thx, it's mostly 100% MS, only a few tracks have 90% ms and around 10% ss. Then every thing is ok, this will be the reason why the bitrate is so low

Reply #28
Hi, I encoded now three CDs with EAC + Lame--alt-preset standard, the sound is really very good. Lame encodes only with 3-4x speed (with my old settings -b192 -h -m s it ran 12-13x), but that isn't very important. The Quality is really good, thank you a lot for giving me these hints. A lot of Tracks got very small, especially Bonus Tracks, which have some minutes silence at beginning, because Lame encodes there with 32kbit.

Alright! Way to go!
Are you ready for the next step now?

You have 2 choices, Ogg Vorbis or MPC.

And yes, you will have to reencode

Tangent,

I'm afraid I don't understand.  My PC is not connected to a good stereo system, so unless I want to sit in a hard desk chair listening to music, how do you suggest I listen to Ogg Vorbis or MPC?

I'm afraid it's all in the hands of the hardware manufacturers.  Very few seem to realize that formats other than MP3 don't stand a chance without widespread hardware support.  No matter how much better it sounds, if I can't listen to it in the car or on my portable player it's almost worthless.

Reply #29
No matter how much better it sounds, if I can't listen to it in the car or on my portable player it's almost worthless.

I kind of commented on this in my other post, but both of these problems can be fixed, even right now.  You can obtain portable devices which will play more formats than mp3, and you can build systems in a car which will play other audio formats.  Of course, they require much more effort than trying to do the same thing with mp3, but it's not impossible, and it may just be worth it for people who need something higher quality than mp3.

Reply #30
Dang it, I just re-ripped my entire collection with 3.92 using EAC and aps.  I am NOT switching formats now!

Reply #31
Dang it, I just re-ripped my entire collection with 3.92 using EAC and aps.  I am NOT switching formats now!

Hi, I will also stay at MP§, the sound can be very good, i don't need more. And the hardware support is today very good fpr MP3.