Skip to main content
Topic: Has ALAC undergone any changes? (Read 4136 times) previous topic - next topic

Has ALAC undergone any changes?

This may be a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.  I'm just about to rip all of my CDs to ALAC.  I'm using EAC and iTunesEncode to get the job done.

I'm wondering if ALAC is in any way different in QT 7?  Are file sizes smaller?  I've ripped about 5 CDs using QT 6.52 and realized that QT 7 is available now for Windows.

Does it matter which version I use?  Is newer necessarily better?  Lossless is lossless, I know.  I'm talking file sizes primarily.

Thanks for any answers.
MR

Reply #1
is there a reason why you are using ALAC?

why aren't you using FLAC or WAVPACK?

later

Reply #2
is there a reason why you are using ALAC?

later
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305183"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use Macs at home, primarily.  I would encode to FLAC in a heartbeat if iTunes supported it.  I'm hooked on iTunes at this point.  I have a couple of iPods that support ALAC, but no other lossless formats.  The last reason is that I plan on getting an Airport Express for my stereo system.

I'm encoding at work on my free time.  Work is exclusively PC, which is fine with me since I can use EAC for secure ripping.

Cheers,
MR

Reply #3
finally! someone with real reasons

you might be interested in the many "alternative" osx media players being developed and discussed on this board (that support "alternative" codecs)

otherwise, cross your fingers and hope itunes supports more codecs in the future.

later

Reply #4
you might be interested in the many "alternative" osx media players being developed and discussed on this board (that support "alternative" codecs)

otherwise, cross your fingers and hope itunes supports more codecs in the future.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305194"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jesus! And why not just use ALAC and be happy?

OK, let me try to answer the actual question in this thread: No, there doesn't seem to be any difference WRT ALAC in QuickTime 7.

Reply #5

Why does every thread turn into a format war around here!?

At least the thread-starter was the one who first brought up EAC 

Reply #6
Just be glad he (I assume he) is useing lossless and not asking about VBR ACC in QT7 or HE++ACC (or whateverTF it is) in Nero. BTW just d/l QT7 and re-rip a song "just to see" if there is any difference. I know he already said no
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"We will restore chaos"-Bush on Iraq[/span]

Reply #7
Just be glad he (I assume he) is useing lossless and not asking about VBR ACC in QT7 or HE++ACC (or whateverTF it is) in Nero. BTW just d/l QT7 and re-rip a song "just to see" if there is any difference. I know he already said no
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305215"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I actually thought about downloading QT 7 and comparing its file sizes to QT 6.52, but I was afraid that if something went wrong I wouldn't be able to downgrade.  QT 7 for Windows is only a preview release right now, and I didn't want to take any chances.

Thanks for the responses.  I'm going to go ahead and rip my collection using the latest stable version of QT.

Best,
MR

Reply #8
I'm in the same boat with my collection.  I'm reripping the whole thing (over 300 CDs) in to MP3 (lame 396.1 aps) and ALAC using MAREO and itunesencode.

I really like itunes as an organizer and player.  Of course the idea is to get an airport express and be able to stream ALAC over wireless to the stereo.

I haven't had a chance yet to see if there is a difference between QT 6.5 and pre release QT 7.  I'm not sure I want to either.  My PC is purring along really well and I don't want to mess it up with silly beta software.

I'm sure there won't be any difference to the lossless part.  I expect VBR AAC to come out with QT7 and itunes 4.9 though.  (not that it matters to me.  i'm perfectly happy with lossless ALAC and standard, play anywhere MP3s.)

.....still waiting for the next version of foobar2k, the one that is supposed to have naming and tag support for ALAC files.....

Reply #9
FWIW I've just converted a few files to ALAC with QT 6.5.2/iTunes 4.7.1 & QT7/iTunes 4.8 under OS X 10.3.9 and 10.4.1 and they were identical

Reply #10
FWIW I've just converted a few files to ALAC with QT 6.5.2/iTunes 4.7.1 & QT7/iTunes 4.8 under OS X 10.3.9 and 10.4.1 and they were identical
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307378"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From what I gather, nothing has happened with it since release except a minor bugfix and support for high resolution/multichannel.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020