Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v0.9 public beta (Read 273330 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v0.9 public beta

Reply #75
You kan keep using 0.8.3 on Win98. It's a fantastic piece of software.... It will provide for most of your needs for years to come...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #76
first post, so ello all.

ended up here after checking the msfn forums looking for a silent install switch. however the only threads i found mentioned the /S switch being kind of broken. i also found a thread about a repacked installer... which disappeared after someone went crazy about it.
can anybody tell me (preferably confirmed by the developer) whether proper silent install functionality is being worked on?

thanks in advance

Reply #77
I don't know if you want feature requests like this in this thread, but I'll add them it anyway:

Oh, and a warning: I might have missed a thing or two in the beta yet. If so, please inform me.

General
1) As v0.9 is not that far from v.1.0 I think it's about time to do something with the fact that foobar2000 often appears to have locked up, when it's actually processing something. I haven't testet this beta that much yet, so things might have been improved though. What I'm talking about is e.g. what's happening here right now. I'm scanning one of my music directories, and while doing that, fb2k it's rendered useless and inaccessible for quite some time. In this particular case, I can se a progress bar, but that's not always so.

What I would like is this:
i) Always show some indication that it's working on something.
ii) Add the option to do this "in the background", so it's not rendered useless and appears to be locked up.
iii) Force, if possible, or at least encourage 3rd party component developer to do the same.

Autoplaylist
2a) It would be nice to have some visible indicator showing that a particular playlist is an "autoplaylist", and hence has reduced functionality for other purposes. Possibly also make this accessible for formatting.

2b) Ignore this if the current Autoplaylist plugin is made only as an example, and ment as a starting point for a 3rd party "Extended/advanced autoplaylist" plugin. If not, I would like to see storing of presets, like in the extended playlist generator (maybe even with improved usability). "Take over" alos feels kind of awkward, but I might get used to it after a while. I'm also tempted to suggest merging the two (AP with PG/EPG), but I guess I'll have to use this new one a bit more first. Probably more like a suggestion for a really advanced 3rd party plugin I guess.

Keep up the good work though! I wouldn't have written all of this if I didn't love this player so much. 

Reply #78
Works great so far here.    I had one crash, but I think that was related to the new Columns UI alpha. I posted about it here in case it's pertinent.

One thing I would like to see implemented for the default UI in 0.9 final would be the ability to control the colors on the playlist better. With the color scheme I used to use use you can't read the text of a Now Playing item when it's selected by the cursor.

edit: musicmusic has confirmed my crash as having to do with columns_ui, so need need for anyone else to look into it.

Reply #79
What I would like is this:
i) Always show some indication that it's working on something.
ii) Add the option to do this "in the background", so it's not rendered useless and appears to be locked up.
iii) Force, if possible, or at least encourage 3rd party component developer to do the same.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Do you have an actual issue with v0.9 locking up? All file operations and most other lengthy operations I can think of show a standardized progress dialog (part of the SDK) and are abortable by the user.

Regarding the Autoplaylist which happens to be an example of a "playlist lock": I already suggested to show this in the statusbar. In the mean time, you can use [a href="http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uzbs/fb2k/misc/foo_playlist_manager.dll]foo_playlist_manager[/url] which was initially designed to solve exactly this problem, but later grew into a beefed-up playlist switcher.

Reply #80
Waiting for CASE's version.
It's My Life,
It's Now Or Never,
I Ain't Gonna Live Forever,
I Just Want To Live While I'm Alive.

Reply #81
I havent had any crashes yet..............it would be nice to get our old plugins again........in time.......great work on 0.9 though.............

Reply #82
Are we going to see global system date and time availability?

Reply #83
Ability to reset individual pages in preferences (if supported by the component that provides the page)

...reset to default was revised, finally!

And I also like the Preferences->Tag writing->MP3 section. It's definitely a good idea to add extra tweaking options to foobar2000's tag writing behavior. What about adding such subsections for all/most/more audio formats? *hint* MP3tag...

EDIT: Oh, I just figured out that the settings in the MP3 subsection also apply to other formats that use APEv2/ID3v1,2 tags (at least that seems to be the case for Musepack files)... so basically I'm quite happy with the way it works right now, since I explicitly use APEv2 for every audio container that supports it. Although renaming the subsection to something different and more general e.g. "MP3, MPC,..." would be more logical... or the addition of subsections for each audio format isn't such a bad idea at all? I can imagine that some folks want ID3* tags for their MP3s but APEv2 tags only for all other audio files that support it.

Reply #84
Something I would like to see (though doubt it is in 0.9?) is the ability for a component to add and remove services at runtime instead of having the requirement they be static.

Also, I think it is a mistake to not release the SDK until the final is out. I think it would be a much better idea to release a 'beta SDK' which builds components that only 0.9beta loads but 0.9final won't load. This would at least let developers get their feet wet and get code migrated toward whatever changes are required.

Lastly, I think it's a good idea to drop 95/98/ME support.

Reply #85
I'd love a linux version...............I get huge slow downs and plugin errors, with wine...............

Reply #86
Something I would like to see (though doubt it is in 0.9?) is the ability for a component to add and remove services at runtime instead of having the requirement they be static.

Also, I think it is a mistake to not release the SDK until the final is out. I think it would be a much better idea to release a 'beta SDK' which builds components that only 0.9beta loads but 0.9final won't load. This would at least let developers get their feet wet and get code migrated toward whatever changes are required.

Lastly, I think it's a good idea to drop 95/98/ME support.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299987"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is this way to avoid a lot of reports caused by components instead of foobar.

Reply #87
I'd love a linux version...............I get huge slow downs and plugin errors, with wine...............
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299991"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

foobar2000 is heavily dependent on the Windows API.  A linux version is not going to happen.

On the subject of the SDK.  It shouldn't be much trouble to get existing components to recompile under the new SDK.  As such, I'm okay with the SDK not being available until the final is out.  Whilst it's annoying to have two versions of foobar installed, and your favourite components not available for 0.9, the beta process will be much smoother without bug reports for individual components getting in the way of bug reports for core components.

Reply #88
The beta3 full install file changed since foosion's first post...(Azureus reports different file size and hash) Silent update maybe? Or error on my side?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299721"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From foobar2000.org:
First uploaded version had broken uninstaller. If you downloaded foobar within an hour from the release you can get fixed uninstaller here.

Reply #89
I noticed that masstagger scripts are included in a "Scripts" menu...very convenient.  Would it be possible though to make each script its own menu item?  As in, I could put a script in the main context menu, rather than in a sub-menu?

Reply #90
REQ:

1, Import *.cfg from commandline.
2, can run multi process (foobar2000.exe) by commandline switch.

Reply #91
Suggestion:
Audtoplaylist - This is probably on the todo list (if the autoplaylist component is still in "beta"). Could the playlists be editable? because once you "take over" a playlist, you can no longer edit the query which is a bit tedious :S. Also i'm having problems with the NOT operator, for instance NOT artist IS <artist> doesn't seem to work... but that's probably just on my side .

Also i second the request for "ignore directory" in the Media Library... it gets annoying with Autoplaylist when it includes artists/directories you don't want...

And does the library auto-update? Autoplaylist gets the data from the library only right? so i think that there should be an option to "Auto update library on startup" or something.

That's all i can think of at the moment, development is going GREAT! i really love the Preamp with/without RG feature  and there's heaps mor ei like but that's too much to mention lol

(any ETA for beta 4?)

Reply #92
I'm just glad that both the AAC streams like WDUQ and AAC+ files I've encoded using bsiegel's dbPoweramp encoder work.
But, I wish the volume control were more accesible.

Reply #93
Suggestion:
Audtoplaylist - This is probably on the todo list (if the autoplaylist component is still in "beta"). Could the playlists be editable? because once you "take over" a playlist, you can no longer edit the query which is a bit tedious :S. Also i'm having problems with the NOT operator, for instance NOT artist IS <artist> doesn't seem to work... but that's probably just on my side .[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300058"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's on purpose. Since the whole point of an autoplaylist is that it will automatically update according to the criteria assigned to it, there's really no point in making it editable.. what you're looking for can be accomplished with the playlist generator just as easily.

Reply #94
Suggestion:
Audtoplaylist - This is probably on the todo list (if the autoplaylist component is still in "beta"). Could the playlists be editable? because once you "take over" a playlist, you can no longer edit the query which is a bit tedious :S. Also i'm having problems with the NOT operator, for instance NOT artist IS <artist> doesn't seem to work... but that's probably just on my side .[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300058"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's on purpose. Since the whole point of an autoplaylist is that it will automatically update according to the criteria assigned to it, there's really no point in making it editable.. what you're looking for can be accomplished with the playlist generator just as easily.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300071"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think what he is looking for is a way to edit the autoplaylist query string.

Reply #95
just a quick throw-in..

- ReplayGain-copy-button at properties/file-info is maybe a bit to small, the 'p' and 'y' cannot be seen completely

request: possibility to remove existing 'Output file name formatting' at converter-page

Reply #96
Can I use all of my 0.8.3 plugins in 0.9?

Or do we have to wait for the SDK so that devs can rewrite all the plugins for 0.9?

Reply #97
Can I use all of my 0.8.3 plugins in 0.9?

Or do we have to wait for the SDK so that devs can rewrite all the plugins for 0.9?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300096"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As foosion said in the first post of this thread, components made for v0.8.3 and older will no longer load.

Reply #98
In the installer of the 0.9, I deselected the quick launch icon because I already had the 0.8 there: now it isn't there any more.
How can I restore it (for 0.8)?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299913"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Open the directory you have 0.8.3 in (e.g. C:\Program Files\foobar2000) and drag the foobar2000.exe to the Quick Launch bar.

Thanks for the great beta. It rules.

Reply #99
I can't find all the components as mentioned under "Components in full version", e.g. ABX comparator. Is this due to the beta stage of this release, or am I just not looking well enough?

edit. archive reader as well...