Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v0.9 public beta (Read 273070 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v0.9 public beta

Reply #50
Oh... wonderful news!!!
From now, today my work isn't in pole position 

Reply #51
Just downloaded it. The preferences seem a little more organized, which helps out big time with usability.

Biggest issue I have right now is that Foobar still doesn't play iTunes Music Store files. Good news is, this is a beta and by past Foobar history the first of many. Hopefully it is added in the future.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299589"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

*spits out his coffee*
You're kidding, right? No player other than iTunes will ever play encrypted iTunes Music Store Files because they are exactly that - encrypted. You can find certain (illegal) software that will decrypt it, but I can't point you to it.

Reply #52
The beta3 full install file changed since foosion's first post...(Azureus reports different file size and hash) Silent update maybe? Or error on my side?
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #53
Where can I watch the queue?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299665"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You currently cannot. There was discussion during the closed tests how to do this, however there was no conclusion, and there were more pressing issues to solve.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299671"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe it would suffice to make this queue information available to third-party plugins to handle it however they wish (as a columns ui panel, for instance).

Reply #54
Peter, what can I say? Like it, LOVE IT! Thank you

foobar2000 appears to have native extended Shuffle support now (album shuffle, etc) and native ID3v2 support now, I don't see anyone mentioning those new features! Peter, again: Thank you!

Anyway, some first impression input:
- With native ID3v2 support now (Am I wrong and still dreaming?), I'm missing the options to set which character encoding it should use. Are these not needed anymore? Which encoding is now used by default?
- "System tray" seem to have adopted a new name: "Notification area", which is wrong imo. Eventhough a lot of program use it for this pupose the system tray is much more than just intended for notification. Giving it a different name might only cause more confusion.
- The Tag wrinting section in the prefs might be a bit unclear to some people. Imo it needs a bit more aditional info. E.g. "Don't update files, only change cached info", when unchecked, when do files get updated? When which action is taken and is foobarbar updating tags automatically as well (with the new tag mapping feature in mind)? Also, in the MP3 section, with the current descriptions it's unclear to me which tags are being written when the advanced option is disabled, an MP3 file has an ID3v1 tag and the new info all fits into this tag version. Does the ID3v2 tag get written as well?

Reply #55
Works nicely for me, cheers.  'Cursor follows playback' works nicely, good that it doesn't steal focus if you're on a different tab.

Is there any way to read UFIDs with this new version?  I ask because that is needed to read musicbrainz track IDs for submitting to Audioscrobbler.

Reply #56
Not that I don't have only XP, but could you use libunicows to support Unicode for the older Windows operating systems?

Reply #57
Woooo! Finally!

I have a few questions/suggestions though:
  • What exactly does Shuffle (track) do? It appears to be no different to Random.
  • I'd love to see a Shuffle (artist) playback mode. When I heard of the new Shuffle modes I was excited as I though there might be a mode to shuffle tracks by the currently playing artist. If Shuffle (track) isn't much different to Random, maybe it could be replaced by Shuffle (artist)?
  • What happened to the titleformatting help HTML file? I'm sure we'd like to see what new TAGZ (if there are any at all) we can play with.

- With native ID3v2 support now (Am I wrong and still dreaming?), I'm missing the options to set which character encoding it should use. Are these not needed anymore? Which encoding is now used by default?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299730"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It writes unicode tags, unfortunately.

I'd like to see an option to choose between unicode and iso tags, much like kode's old ID3v2 component for foobar 0.83.
</signature>

Reply #58
Thx for new version!!!!

Thx for secure rip mode
Compare same WAVs riped with foobar2000 and EAC and no difference!!!! (EAC->Tools\Compare WAVs)
(with correct offset -> +48 for Pioneer DVR-108)

bugs (Playback - Audio CD): seeking; Last track time...

Reply #59

• What exactly does Shuffle (track) do? It appears to be no different to Random.
    [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299756"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You misunderstand the basic concept of shuffle. Random means that files are played completely randomly - this means, that theoretically it could happen that the same track is played 5 times in a row(however, with a low probability). Shuffle instead ensures that files are played equally often.

Imagine a card deck: random would mean that you take one card, then put it back into the deck and then again randomly pick one. Shuffle instead means that you mix the deck, and then pick one card after another - after all cards are taken, you form a deck of them, shuffle it again, and then do the same process again.

Thus EVERY shuffle mode is fundamentally different to random-mode.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #60

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299756"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You misunderstand the basic concept of shuffle. Random means that files are played completely randomly - this means, that theoretically it could happen that the same track is played 5 times in a row(however, with a low probability). Shuffle instead ensures that files are played equally often.

Imagine a card deck: random would mean that you take one card, then put it back into the deck and then again randomly pick one. Shuffle instead means that you mix the deck, and then pick one card after another - after all cards are taken, you form a deck of them, shuffle it again, and then do the same process again.

Thus EVERY shuffle mode is fundamentally different to random-mode.

- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299758"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm, well wouldn't it make sense to phase out Random altogether and replace it with Shuffle (track)? Maybe renaming it to just "Shuffle". Either way, I'd still love to see Shuffle (artist).
</signature>

Reply #61
Thanks for this! 

I'm wondering though:

1) Are all compability with 0.8 components broken?

2) In the new "Drive settings" for Audio CD; does "Offset correction" and "Secure mode" mean the same as in EAC? I guess it's limited how many times data are read while playback? Are "Secure mode" for ripping purposes? Does this mean foobar2000 are a full-fledged ripper too, now? And are "Offset correction" value entered as it are in EAC? Meaning; My drive, a PX-W4824A, has what Plextools name "Audio read offset" of -392 bytes. This is the same as -98 samples(-392:4), and are entered into EAC as an "Offset correction" of 98. (This is a bit important, as -98 and 98 are not quite the same...  )
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #62
2) In the new "Drive settings" for Audio CD; does "Offset correction" and "Secure mode" mean the same as in EAC? I guess it's limited how many times data are read while playback? Are "Secure mode" for ripping purposes? Does this mean foobar2000 are a full-fledged ripper too, now? And are "Offset correction" value entered as it are in EAC? Meaning; My drive, a PX-W4824A, has what Plextools name "Audio read offset" of -392 bytes. This is the same as -98 samples(-392:4), and are entered into EAC as an "Offset correction" of 98. (This is a bit important, as -98 and 98 are not quite the same...   )
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299771"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Offset correction is same as "read sample offset correction" in EAC. In case of doubts do a bitcompare between foo_cdda output and EAC output.
Secure mode rereads every 4MB block until it gets two results with identical CRC, so it's equivalent to burst mode test&copy because what you get has been read twice with identical resutls, except you don't have to watch CRC numbers unlike in EAC - if there is a problem, additional rereading is done behind your back. Secure mode should not be used for playback because it's too slow, I'll add special options for that later.

bugs (Playback - Audio CD): seeking
"Not here"
Last track time...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299757"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
On what disc ?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #63
what about 10000 and more tracks in playlist? in 0.8.3 version maximum 4000 tracks in playlist
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299769"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What?
0.8.3 can have more then 4000 tracks in it's playlist.  I've loaded up 40 000+ tracks before.

Reply #64
@Johanneshahn:

1st - it's not possible ATM as all those additional plugins need to be updated to foobar SDK 0.9 (means compiled against SDK 0.9)
(AFAIK fade in/out was possible with the DirectSound_ext(2)-plugin - sth. like this)

Reply #66
I like the Autoplaylist plug-in, but I feel there should be a simliar option EXCLUSIVELY for the Media Library, for those of us that don't have a playlist loaded for all their music, but use the media library extensively and are constantly adding/removing/modifying files from the media library folders.

Reply #67
Thx for new version!!!!

Thx for secure rip mode
Compare same WAVs riped with foobar2000 and EAC and no difference!!!! (EAC->Tools\Compare WAVs)
(with correct offset -> +48 for Pioneer DVR-108)

I too appreciate this new feature.
It's just a pity that there's no freedb support. Is it planed to implement one?

Reply #68
It's just a pity that there's no freedb support. Is it planed to implement one?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299878"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would think somebody will recompile foo_freedb as soon as 0.9 SDK are released. I sure hope so anyway..... 
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #69
Sorry if this is not the place. (In that case, let us know which is)

I had a quick look at the titleformatting reference.

Am I right if I say that 0.9 beta too doesn't support %_playlist_total% and similars variables outside the playlist view? (status bar etc).

Is there any chance that, before the 0.9 final, the properties windows would become a dialog window showing each tag in its box?

... and that it would behave consistently when you select one file and when select many?
(I'm talking about the multiple values separator and the sorting of multiple values. This in particular it's a pain if you have to add a value but don't want it to show as last - a counterway would be having a function like $sort(%multiple values field%,way of sorting) where one can even specify a custom list like a list of instruments or styles etc even not in alphabetical order - wishing is costless...)

Reply #70
In the installer of the 0.9, I deselected the quick launch icon because I already had the 0.8 there: now it isn't there any more.
How can I restore it (for 0.8)?

Reply #71
I don't think I am sure that I understand why it can only be for Windows 2000+. What has changed so drastically that it requires this? There is no way I am switching from Windows 98. And don't give me that "you're still in the stone age blah blah" speech.

Reply #72
If you insist.. please do feel free to use audio players from 1998 as well then.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #73
I don't think I am sure that I understand why it can only be for Windows 2000+. What has changed so drastically that it requires this? There is no way I am switching from Windows 98. And don't give me that "you're still in the stone age blah blah" speech.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299934"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unicode support has changed, for example.

Reply #74
i hope an option will be added that keeps foobar out of the taskbar permanently. this beta like all previous versions puts foobar in the taskbar when it's "unminimized". i'd like to keep the icon in the sys tray when running and that's it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299657"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

God I hope so. I too am sick of it being in the taskbar.

And even with /hide it still some times starts up in the taskbar but just invisiable. Its annorying as hell!!!!
God Bless U.S.A