Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Translate To Freedb From Cddb2, Amg, Etc? (Read 2708 times) previous topic - next topic

Translate To Freedb From Cddb2, Amg, Etc?

I let down my firewall guard to investigate the CD track info gathering abilities in different players.  Freedb can't match Gracenote CDDB2 (BTW, that MP3 recognition facility in Winamp 3 amazes me!) And, Gracenote is no match for the multiple db abilities of WinMediaPlayer... (Another BTW: Any paranoid suspicions of data collection by the WMP 9 beta ?) I would think that having captured the CD info in Winamp 3, I should then be able to export the data so I could see it from Winamp 2.81 with Copah's CD Reader plugin.  I searched and googled to no avail...

Reply #1
>  Freedb can't match Gracenote CDDB2

Can you add some detail?

BTW, we should have announced this before, but a few weeks ago, we switched Media Jukebox from CDDB to our own system, YADB (www.yadb.com).  The database is from freedb.  The code that uses it was written from scratch.  It's still a work in progress, but we're interested in extending its capabilities.

Jim Hillegass
J. River

Reply #2
Some details ... I inserted 10 CDs that were closest in my heap of 1500 or so. Gracenote and WindowsMediaPlayer knew all of them.  Freedb didn't know "Grip-Flare(Ken Ishii)-Sublime Records" and
"Natural Composite-Locust(MarkVanHoen)-Apollo Records." 
Gracenote and WMP often provided more info on those all recognized. 
I do confess to some confusion about settings for the freedb server.  Even Copah's Sonique version seemed to have different settings than the Winamp 2 version.  And Orange CD player has settings that seem to differ also.  Might it be best to set everything for at.freedb.org, since I read that is now their #1? 
I still don't understand why I can't grab the information one player presents and translate it to a form another one will present. FWIW, I like QCD as a player, but dislike the lack of DSP plugins and the fact that it crashes on startup after multiple opens and closes.