Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: My burning component (Read 43243 times) previous topic - next topic

My burning component

Reply #25
Uh. Strange thing. I put back the cdrdao.exe found in "cdrdao-1.1.7.bin.x86.win32" from CDRDAO site. When I choose files for burning, foobar2000 crashes immediately. I then overwrite that one with the version from Burrrn installation again, and all works hunky dory. I was obviously a bit to quick blaming crash on conflicting versions of cygwin1.dll....
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

My burning component

Reply #26
When I tested the previous version last night (my first test) I got an instant foobar crash also.

This morning, at work, I have put burnatonce's cdrdao.exe and cygwin1.dll into my components folder, as well as the latest build of foo_tginn.dll.

I then got this error:

Edit: Oh... and thanks.
I'm on a horse.

My burning component

Reply #27
I also think your error dialogue should specify that it is a "Thank God It's Not Nero"[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296517"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'd rather think of highly buggy alternatives as of free advertising for Nero.
Anyway, shame that he only made it for me to add new offender list entry - in case he really can't be bothered to fix it. I'd rather live without specific feature than with implementation that works on random basis.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

My burning component

Reply #28
As I said at the start:
I would love to see this component flourish into a really solid and useable part of Foobar.

I still think there is a niche there, for those people who don't want to use Nero.  CDRDAO seems the obvious (only?) choice as a free alternative.

However, I would like to believe that the development was in the hands of someone committed to making the component "really solid".  When you are burning to CD, which is using up resources (albeit cheap) and possibly creating an archive, I think you need to have complete confidence in the result.

Unfortunately popatr has made it clear that s/he would rather someone else completed the development - but I don't have much faith in that happening.  I'm hoping that the interest shown in the component will encourage him/her to see it through to the bitter end.  It is promising that development is currently continuing quite rapidly.

Bear in mind that it is still at version 0.0.
I'm on a horse.

My burning component

Reply #29
All of the hard crashes you guys are reporting, (I think) are related to the way I parse burners.  Right now, it is (shamefully) very dependent on the version of cdrdao you have, and is not error-tolerant.  As I said in an earlier post, "I think I had better fix this."  I will.

As to the the error message.  Yes, it needs those dsps, and is informing you of that.  Nothing bad will happen, AFAIK, for not having those dsps.  You just can't burn with tginn until you do.

My burning component

Reply #30
As to the the error message.  Yes, it needs those dsps, and is informing you of that.  Nothing bad will happen, AFAIK, for not having those dsps.  You just can't burn with tginn until you do.

Then could the error message mention foo_dsp_extra?  I only managed to get it so quickly as I remembered seeing something about the SSRC sampler being included in some versions of the Foobar installer.  Some users are not so familiar with Foobar components, or the absence thereof.

I realise that it is a handled error, and that's obviously a good thing.  I just think you could easily save some bug reports from people who don't realise they need foo_dsp_extra.

I expect most people don't go for the Lite version, and therefore this won't be an issue.  It just seems like a simple way to stop any confusion...

I look forward to the next version.
I'm on a horse.

My burning component

Reply #31
I'd rather think of highly buggy alternatives as of free advertising for Nero.
Anyway, shame that he only made it for me to add new offender list entry - in case he really can't be bothered to fix it. I'd rather live without specific feature than with implementation that works on random basis.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296544"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think this is highly promising software at alpha development state. Offender list entry at this stage is a bit premature, don't you think...? It could rather be marked with a "Only-for-testing-by-those-who-know-what-theire-doing" tag   
Hope popatr (or somebody else) will follow this through until achievement of proper release state.

My burning component

Reply #32
It could rather be marked with a "Only-for-testing-by-those-who-know-what-theire-doing" tag  

Damn, that counts me out.

I consider myself a member of the "bored-compulsive-and-opinionated" group of users.
I'm on a horse.

My burning component

Reply #33
A new version is up.

It should be more tolerant of other versions of cdrdao.  I've tested on the 1.1.7 from the burrrn install, and the 1.1.9 which I just compiled.  (1.1.9 is incomparably larger!), and it works on both.  I expect it will be just fine on other versions too.

At least I don't expect tginn to crash anymore, even if it's not friendly with a given version of cdrdao.  If it doesn't know how to parse the burners from the scanbus of that version, it will (should) simply say that it couldn't find any burners, and therefore it will exit.

I did calm down the error message about not finding the needed DSPs, and it does mention that SSRC is in foo_dsp_extra.

I hope this version can at least handle errors semi-gracefully (is well behaved), and is stable/good enough to not get put on the offenders list.  I WOULD like to avoid that, so I'll keep up the watching of this thread.

My burning component

Reply #34
Thanks!

Could anyone make a Win32 compile of cdrdao 1.1.9 available, BTW? Or does anybody know of such? I've only found 1.1.7 precompiles for Windows, and I don't have a Windows compiler and wouldn't know what to do if I had (the only compiling I've ever done are the usual ./configure make make install on *nix).

My burning component

Reply #35
Thanks!

Could anyone make a Win32 compile of cdrdao 1.1.9 available, BTW? Or does anybody know of such? I've only found 1.1.7 precompiles for Windows, and I don't have a Windows compiler and wouldn't know what to do if I had (the only compiling I've ever done are the usual ./configure make make install on *nix).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296597"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You said you had cygwin, yes?  You can do ./configure, make, make install on that too, assuming you have the right packages installed.  (that's what I did)  I don't feel like I can host a cdrdao on my site, even if I'm allowed to.  Not that people a hungry for my bandwidth but...

My burning component

Reply #36
Thanks!

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296597"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just compiled CDRDAO 1.1.9 with cygwin using the provided default scripts, but it gave me a 3Mb exe file (!!). I think you'd better stick with 1.1.7 if everything is working fine.

My burning component

Reply #37
You could try to UPX compress that executable maybe...
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

My burning component

Reply #39
bear in mind that my knowledge of compilers is restricted to:

./configure
make
make install

so you have to be more specific and enlighten me on how do I do that. 

My burning component

Reply #41
Just out of curiosity, what do you have to add in the ./configure, make and make install commands to get smaller exe files?

My burning component

Reply #42
Just out of curiosity, what do you have to add in the ./configure, make and make install commands to get smaller exe files?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296656"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Run the usual './configure; make', but at the end run 'strip cdrdao'. After that you can even use UPX to compress the file. Thats the way I got my cdrdao.exe down from 3MB to 230KB

My burning component

Reply #44
I have uploaded an cdrdao 1.1.9 binary for Windows here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=33945

Hope you enjoy it! 

Edit: I compiled this late october last year, for the possible use in burnatonce.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296646"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, mate!
A bit OT, but I just have a very minimal Cygwin install, basic install plus Open SSH, Vim and a few others. Any quick-and-dirty overview on which packages I'll have to install to do this myself? (With a full Linux install this is usually present so things just work...)

And the strip executable thing, does it come into the command sequence like this:

./configure
make
strip something
make install

Did I get it right?

My burning component

Reply #45
@Mr_Rabid_Teddybear. That command sequence is right, exept you dont really need to run 'make install'. cdrdao.exe is selfcontained, so simply copy it to your foobar2000 directory.

To compile in cygwin you need at least GCC and make, but not exactly sure if you need even more.

My burning component

Reply #46
A bit OT, but I just have a very minimal Cygwin install, basic install plus Open SSH, Vim and a few others. Any quick-and-dirty overview on which packages I'll have to install to do this myself? (With a full Linux install this is usually present so things just work...)

Honestly, I don't know exactly what you need either, because my cygwin install is quite huge.

I think I have all the default packages from devel and libs.

My burning component

Reply #47
Honestly, I don't know exactly what you need either, because my cygwin install is quite huge.

I think I have all the default packages from devel and libs.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296875"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. I managed to compile it. Seems I got away with installing make, pkgconfig and then gcc-core and gcc-g++ and whatever packages those automatically dragged with them... At least it was enough for compiling cdrdao.

My burning component

Reply #48
I compiled cdrdao 1.2.0 that's up on sourceforge now. My compile and experiences here.
It behaves very different from 1.1.9. Burning failes like shown in this picture:

Just wondering what's going on... I'll just revert to 1.1.9 for burning (which work fine)....

My burning component

Reply #49
Hey, just wondering if anyone was going to pick this up and maybe add CD-TEXT support any time.  I never really liked the burninate component because of the nero dependency, so this component is really kick abs.  cd-text would just make me pee my pants.  Thanks.