Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: why using lossless? (Read 15267 times) previous topic - next topic

why using lossless?

Reply #50
I use lossless for two reasons. I can be confident if I burn a CD containing lossless tracks they will be exactly the same fidelity as the source, on any equipment for any person I might give it to. The second is lossless can't render your music obsolete. If a more efficient codec is released, simply uncompress your music and recompress it with the new codec.

As for transparency, it's more than likely Musepack or LAME insane would be transparent on 99% of my material. That said, I have a hell of a lot of hard drive space so why settle for transparent when you can have mathmatical perfection? Some would then probably ask "Why compress at all?", to which I would reply "Why not?". It takes all of 5-10 minutes to rip a CD to Monkey's Audio with extra high compression, and a 3.12ghz processor can handle the playback CPU usage levels fine.

If you can save space by losslessly compressing without any significant drawbacks then there's no point leaving music uncompressed.

why using lossless?

Reply #51
I use lossless for two reasons.

1. Sounds much better than mp3.

2. Its a chick magnet. It used to be that big muscles or a cool car attracted girls but now you mention the word Flac and they come running. This is also the reason I built my HTPC. I have my current girlfriend because of my HTPC. She was dating some guy with a modded Xbox. When she saw my HTPC running 1080i on a 32 LCD TV she was all mine!!!!!!  Nerds rock!