Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recording Companies Punishing Music Enthusiasts? (Read 4134 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording Companies Punishing Music Enthusiasts?

This is just something that I realized today and it sort of urked me to say the least.  Why is it that music enthusiasts seem to be getting the shaft when it comes to bonus materials and limited edition versions of albums rereleased after an albums original release date?  Just today I was at Borders and realized that the P.O.D. "Satellite" cd that I had purchased the day it came out (September 11th, 2001) has been rereleased with a bonus DVD with live 5.1 mixes of songs and remixes of 3 songs on the cd itself.  There is no way to gain these bonus materials if you have already purchased the album, legitimately, without repurchasing the ablum.  I am personally boycotting cd purchases until this is resolved.

Reply #1
Are you talking about an old album that is remastered?
If no, then maybe you are just unlucky. Because the first releases of new albums are the most times limited editions. These are the ones that are digipacks or offer some videos or some bonus songs.

Reply #2
They did something kind of like that with the last Mary J. Blige album.  After about 6 or 9 months they re-released the album with a few tracks that were not on the original release.  There are others I can't think of right now, but it seems to be a trend.

I guess they learned it from the home DVD industry.  First release the DVD, then in 6 months release the Director's Cut, then a year later release the Deluxe Edition with all kinds of extra behind-the-scenes, never-before-seen stuff.  I know people who've  bought 2 or 3 copies of movies.

It's brilliant from a marketing standpoint.  Instead of spending time and money coming up with something new to sell you, they just sell you the same thing in 2 or 3 or 4 slightly different packages.

Rob

Reply #3
So true. When it comes to the major record companies, money is the only goal, satisfying the music enthusiasts is the last of their concerns.

U2 releasing a 2CD edition of their Best Of in it's first week of production or so is a nice gesture to the fans.

Re-releasing an album with extra tracks or a bonus CD after a few months is just marketing, trying to convince more people to buy the album. It's a shame, unless they somehow offer the bonus CD as a separate, cheap purchase.

A good example is Live who re-released The Distance to Here with a beautiful 5-track acoustic bonus disc. They also released a 6-track single with those same 5 acoustic tracks, so you didn't have to buy the album twice if you already owned it. Another example is Nine Inch Nails, who have two editions of their live album And All That Could Have Been. If you got screwed and purchased the 1 CD edition, you could order the 2nd CD from NIN's website.

If you look around, maybe you'll find a P.O.D. single or EP with the tracks you're missing.

Reply #4
This is plain old marketing! Make us fan pay more for our loyalty . Example is the DVD release of "The Mummy" three whole releases each one being different! TLOTR is going to be like this IMHO there is another DVD that is going to be released at Christmas time with extra footage (makes the film even LONGER).

Audio CD's are no better off, many artists tend to release new pressing of their CD's to increase album demand after the initial demand period wears off. By doing so it keeps their album in the charts and in the money coffers full. I been stung twice by this move  and now I just wait to buy my albums, just in case they release it again with a DVD or bonus disc. They also do this when the artist has a tour coming around, by packaging the CD with extra materials and labelling them "Special Limited Tour Editions" increased the demand of the CD as well as promotes the tour.

So it all comes down to dollars and cents, they (the music companies) will do anything to keep the money rolling in.

Laters
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Reply #5
I had no doubt that this was most definitely a marketing ploy.  But it wasn't until now that I became fed up, I now refuse to purchase CDs period.

Reply #7
Or just ignore the extra stuff. It it wasn't good enough to be part of the original release, it's probably not that amazing...so you can probably live without it.

Reply #8
I agree with rocketsauce - take a few months looking for it secondhand, then if you can't find it you'll know if there's a bonus version coming out soon.  And if you do find it you've saved a fair amount of money that you can put toward the bonus version

Reply #9
Or just ignore the extra stuff. It it wasn't good enough to be part of the original release, it's probably not that amazing...

That has generally been my attitude.  There is usually a reason those "never released before" tracks were never released.  IMHO, there are very few artists who have a library of unreleased material that is anywhere close to the quality of their official releases.  In fact, Prince is about the only one that comes to my mind.

I would estimate that probably 80% of the CDs I've purchased (since I started buying CDs back in the 80s) are used.  There is only a very small handful of artists that I like enough to buy the CD immediately on release, and that handful has been shrinking rapidly.  Also, sometimes I will buy DJ mix albums new because they can be hard to find used or I will buy remasters of certain old favorites I only have on vinyl.

Rob

Reply #10
Yeah, LOTR is the most egregious example of this I know of.  The poor hardcore fans who buy everything the day it comes out will end up with three or so copies of each movie by the time they're done (original release, director's cut release, collector's edition release, etc.).  Nice way to milk the fans for money.

Reply #11
LOTR is the best done double release to date.  The first release includes a rebate certificate for the special edition, it is the original theatrical release and includes special features that won't be included in the special edition.  It was also announced before the release date that there would be a later special edition, unlike most other DVD's (like Memento) where it's kept a total secret.  While it might be the same marketing ploy, at least there is value in buying the two versions and they were up front with everything.  LOTR deserves the most kudos of any DVD release in my book, not the most complaints.

G

Reply #12
...it is the original theatrical release and includes special features that won't be included in the special edition...

Like interactive menus and scene selection?

Don't people buy the movie for the movie anymore? We've become so used to "special features" and "ultracool bonus edition craptaculars" that any product that doesn't have these buzzwords is deemed inferior. Think of all the money Hollywood could make if they just sold the crap they pass off as bonus material and said "to hell with transferring the movie!"

I don't know about you guys, but I want the meat-and-potatoes, not the applesauce.

Reply #13
I rarely watch the bonus features on DVDs.  I prefer not knowing how all the special effects were done.  It kinda ruins the movie for me.  I like my suspension-of-disbelief to remain intact.  It makes the movie more real.

Listening to: 'While Others Cry' from 'Accelerator' by 'Future Sound of London' on Media Jukebox