Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Streaming Audio (Read 4614 times) previous topic - next topic

Streaming Audio

A friend of mine is trying to start a site, where various new groups would be able to present their creative talent...something like a mini mp3.com. He decided to use OGG -q0 for downloading the actual song, but he haven't made his mind yet about the streaming format that would be more suitable for the case (actually he leans towards RA, even though I have tried to discourage him). The streaming audio should be around 20Kbps, so I need your suggestions as the best format for the case...the one that will offer the best quality and will be easy to set up as well. RA wouldn't be that bad, if the user didn't have to download Real Player, the synonym of bloatware...

So what do you think?

Streaming Audio

Reply #1
I recently played a bit with oggenc to produce low bitrate streams, i was trying to make a stream under 24kbps and another under 56kbps, so far the best two i could come with are:

(mono under 24kbps):
oggenc -b19 --resample 16000 --downmix --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=8

(stereo under 56kbps):
oggenc -b50

Because the low bitrates are being tuned, i hope to get much better quality with future releases

I'm sure my command lines aren't very good, and i'm playing with the lowpass knowing that some extra noise in the higher freqs sometimes, kinda, makes people feel that it sounds better (other people can't stand the noise).

Of course i'm willing to accept better ideas

Some other crazy stuff i did with interesting results:
-b12 --downmix --resample 12000 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=6 (17kbps)
-b16 --downmix --resample 16000 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=8 (19kbps)

Stereo for the cheap
-b30 --resample 22050 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=11,025 (32kbps)
-b24 --resample 16000 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=8 (27kbps)
-b16 --resample 12000 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=6 (22kbps)

RA no matter what, sounds very ugly to me... Even lowbitrate mp3 was better.....
She is waiting in the air

Streaming Audio

Reply #2
Ogg aint the best for streaming audio.

Mp3 and Wma are much better in that.

Only if you are talking about DSL streaming then OGG's quality of sound begins to become atractive! 

Ogg is good...but not on qualities under 92k

Streaming Audio

Reply #3
vorbis outperforms wma and mp3 at lower bitrates....

Streaming Audio

Reply #4
Question is....what quality OGG do you need to have reasonable radio and stil have a small streams!

Yes...Ogg uses smaller streams.....
In a certain way they will be very usefull.

Ya know by the way that MediaJukeBox supports streaming, people only have to login into your MediaJukeBox server ( with media juke box ) and they can choose and listen to any song of your mediatheek!

Streaming Audio

Reply #5
who uses MMJB ?

Streaming Audio

Reply #6
and vorbis is THE format for low bitarte streams in regards to quality i you ask me

Streaming Audio

Reply #7
who uses MMJB ?

Thousands and thousands of newbies.

Don't try to judge the average computer user by the visitors of this forum, Benjamin.

Streaming Audio

Reply #8
yeah, i forget this quite often

Streaming Audio

Reply #9
who uses MMJB ?

Mmm, I do ofcourse...
Hey..it's a great full package. and IF I ever need a new function there is a big chance it's already programmed by JimH

It just rocks.

And oh yes...it's not for oldtimers no.....you just keep working with your little .pls files!

Streaming Audio

Reply #10
who uses MMJB ?

Mmm, I do ofcourse...
Hey..it's a great full package. and IF I ever need a new function there is a big chance it's already programmed by JimH

MMJB = MusicMatch JukeBox
MJ = Media Jukebox

As far as I know, JimH has nothing to do with MMJB.

Streaming Audio

Reply #12
who uses MMJB ?

Mmm, I do ofcourse...

MMJB = MusicMatch JukeBox
MJ = Media Jukebox

As far as I know, JimH has nothing to do with MMJB.

My Fault!

I self never used Music Match

Streaming Audio

Reply #13
Check out this thread.
You will be able to stream at 8kbps

Yeah, I've followed that thread right from its beginning, but at the moment only Garf is able to produce those low bitrate files...hope we all have the chance to use its tweakings soon.

Artemis3: Thanks for the suggestions...I'll try them out and see if they offer the desired results when it comes down to quality.

Streaming Audio

Reply #14
You can produce good quality files down to 8-12kbps with the standard Vorbis libs. My hack is only usefull if you need to go still *below* that, which hopefully isn't the case for pratical applications.

Try for example

oggenc -q -1 --resample 8000 --downmix, which should give you 10-12kbps files IIRC.