Skip to main content
Topic: Why don\'t DVD-R based players exist? (Read 2703 times) previous topic - next topic

Why don\'t DVD-R based players exist?

Here's something interesting to ponder. . . while I was wondering how many more mp3's I could fit on a 99-minute CD-R as opposed to an 80, it struck me that I have not seen a single portable device that supports the DVD-R format. This could be due to the fact that not many people have DVD-R/W writers yet, but that is changing. Imagine a DVD-R compatible Slim-X that would hold 4.7GB of music. . .at --aps, that translates into 50 hours of audio (assuming 85MB/hour) or God forbid, over 100 hours at some lowly bitrate (or, 7 hours of uncompressed PCM for the purists). Why hasn't any manufacturer thought of this yet, or have they? The same physical unit could be used, with a different laser assembly (640nm, of course) and different firmware, which would also be backwards compatible with CD if an AGC circuit was added. So. . .is this unthinkable, or just a matter of time??

Reply #1
unthinkable, i say dvd burners wont be popular until we can do 1:1 dvd copies

Reply #2
Just thought I'd mention: Not being able to illegally copy a DVD 1:1 has more to do with the DVD-R media and less with the burners themselves. The CSS keys are stored somwhere before the lead-in of the disc and cannot be copied using a DVD-RW drive. Also, most movies are dual-layer discs (DVD-9) and as of yet, no dual-layer DVD-R's have appeared. If anything, I believe the industry is rushing to get the Blu-Ray disc (27GB/side, 405nm violet-laser version of DVD) out for the simple fact that it is way too large to burn, and even in compressed form would be more trouble to download over the internet than traditional DVD rips, not to mention that Blu-Ray ROM drives don't exist and probably won't appear for a long time.

Reply #3
What I want to see is a MiniDVD player. Too much time enclosed on the size of a CD when there is room to make devices smaller.

(...and again, a computer that fits in a keyboard: wave hello, C64

J/K

Reply #4
I'm guessing the main reason is that while the availability of DVD-Rs is changing, as you mentioned, it's not changing nearly fast enough.  The number of people who have DVD-R drives is still very small, so the market for such a device is probably not big enough to justify the development costs.

Reply #5
Originally posted by Cygnus X1
Just thought I'd mention: Not being able to illegally copy a DVD 1:1 has more to do with the DVD-R media and less with the burners themselves. The CSS keys are stored somwhere before the lead-in of the disc and cannot be copied using a DVD-RW drive. Also, most movies are dual-layer discs (DVD-9) and as of yet, no dual-layer DVD-R's have appeared. If anything, I believe the industry is rushing to get the Blu-Ray disc (27GB/side, 405nm violet-laser version of DVD) out for the simple fact that it is way too large to burn, and even in compressed form would be more trouble to download over the internet than traditional DVD rips, not to mention that Blu-Ray ROM drives don't exist and probably won't appear for a long time.

Thats also a good reason not to buy DVD-RW drives right now, why would you buy a $300 device that will get obsolete in a year when blue ray comes out??? besides i think i miunderstood my own point, doh! . I dont mean 1:1 copies will make DVDRs popular, but i mean that when theres a way to copy a dvd without any quality loss and still playable on most stnad alone players, theres when dvd-rws will get popular.; after all, mp3s arent 1:1 audio copies and still are popular (for bad imo)

Reply #6
Napa DAV 510

Reply #7
Napa DAV 510

Interesting product, though I doubt it can read mp3 files from a DVD-R/W disc (since no DVD player, portable or stand-alone, can do that yet AFAIK).

Reply #8
What I want to see is a MiniDVD player. Too much time enclosed on the size of a CD when there is room to make devices smaller.

(...and again, a computer that fits in a keyboard: wave hello, C64

J/K

Well, what a keyboard that was ! In todays keyboards you can't fit a hard drive,
btw. the powersupply wasn't included in "the keyboard"
but..... what about the Apple's ? but.... sorry now whe're off-subject , sorry....

Fug.
Thanks,  Bedankt,

Fugitive.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019