Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar skips (Read 4272 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar skips

recently, foobar started skipping like a cd player experiencing shock.

what's going on: on occasion foobar will skip. if i seek back a few seconds, it will play the 'problem spot' just fine. it also skips on files that it previously played fine. if i forward to the next song, it will that song fine without skipping. i observed my system performance and my cpu usage goes down to 1 - 2% like everything just stops what they were doing, and my system only does that when foobar is skipping.

what i've done already: checked the DSPs, uninstalled/reinstalled foobar, checked my components, checked my third party plug-ins, re-ripped files, tried different formats, tried different versions of those formats, and changed the 'playback thread priority', 'file buffering' and 'proccess priority class'.

i've tried everything. just today i resorted to re-ripping some albums. i'm listening to them on foobar, in their original .wav format, and foobar still skips. the only thing i've been able to conclude is that the problem is with foobar. nothing else skips, inlcuding itunes and my ipod, which use lossy AAC versions of all my songs.

foobar skips

Reply #1
You didn't mention what output method you're using (DirectSound, kernel streaming, etc).  From your list of "what I've done already", it sounds like you've tried a lot of things.  Maybe you forgot to check the output format, or just forgot to list it.

foobar skips

Reply #2
^i've changed that too. i tried all the outputs i have:
null output
waveout
directsound
directsound 2.0

no difference with any of them, other than null output having no sound obviously.

foobar skips

Reply #3
Mine started doing the same thing and it turned out it was my HD failing.  You try chkdsk?

foobar skips

Reply #4
did it twice, and a defrag

foobar skips

Reply #5
Is DMA enabled on your hard drive ?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

foobar skips

Reply #6
what is DMA and how do i find out?

foobar skips

Reply #8
nope.

foobar skips

Reply #9
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290264"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right Click My Computer, click Properties.

a system properties box should open.

Click the Hardware tab, then click Device Manager.

The Device Manager window should open.

click on and expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

double cick the Primary IDE channel.

The Primary IDE Channel Properties window should open.

Click on the Advanced Settings tab and make sure that the Transfer Mode is set to DMA on both.

Do the same for the Seondary IDE Channel
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

foobar skips

Reply #10
Try a default install of foobar to some other folder on your hard disk if you haven't already (don't actually uninstall, just do a second fresh install).  Don't change or do anything to it.  See if it skips for you.

If so, then its probably your drivers or other windows issue.  If not, then you should probably copy plugins/settings into the new install and see if you can isolate which ones cause the problem.

foobar skips

Reply #11
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290264"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right Click My Computer, click Properties.

a system properties box should open.

Click the Hardware tab, then click Device Manager.

The Device Manager window should open.

click on and expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

double cick the Primary IDE channel.

The Primary IDE Channel Properties window should open.

Click on the Advanced Settings tab and make sure that the Transfer Mode is set to DMA on both.

Do the same for the Seondary IDE Channel
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290374"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

checked it, both primary and secondary were already on DMA

Try a default install of foobar to some other folder on your hard disk if you haven't already (don't actually uninstall, just do a second fresh install).  Don't change or do anything to it.  See if it skips for you.

If so, then its probably your drivers or other windows issue.  If not, then you should probably copy plugins/settings into the new install and see if you can isolate which ones cause the problem.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290390"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

tried it and it still skips.

what drivers should i be looking at? i uninstalled/reinstalled my sound card drivers and updated windows and foobar still skips.