Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What's The Best Multimedia Jukebox?

MediaJukebox
[ 36 ] (42.4%)
MusicMatch
[ 9 ] (10.6%)
Real
[ 1 ] (1.2%)
Other
[ 39 ] (45.9%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Topic: What's The Best Multimedia Jukebox? (Read 11707 times) previous topic - next topic

Reply #50
I would vote for mppdec (or mpg123 but I have only a few mp3s left). But it is not in the list.  It has (nearly) all features I need. And missing features are filled by 'bash' and 'find'.

Reply #51
But what do you do when, for example, when you want to listen to a random mix of tracks by electronic artists from the 80s?

Good point. But lets take that a bit further...

I want to listen to random mix of tracks by electronic artists from the 80s that I haven't listened to for over a month.

or

I want to listen to a random mix of tracks that I added to my jukebox, but have listened to yet.

This would require fields for 'when a track is added to db', 'how many times a track was played' and 'when it was last played'.

Last I checked, MJ doesn't support these fields, so I use Siren Jukebox instead. Unfortunately it is no longer being developed, so I am looking for something new. Surprisingly, it looks like Windows Media Player 9 is getting pretty close. I was also hoping to find a way to do this with Winamp3, but so far, it's Media Library is very weak.

Creating Playing Stats views

1) Create a new Playlist Group called "Play Stats".

2)Create a new Smartlist under this group called 'never played', with the following rule: lastplayed=>9999999 (be careful if you enter more than seven digits you'll be back to 0!).

3) Create another Smartlist called 'played last hour' with this rule: lastplayed=<60.

4) Create one other called 'Recently played', with this rule: lastplayed=<9999. (Yes we're re-creating a "Recently Played" Playlist that will be fully accessible like any other Playlist.)

5) Create a new View Scheme called "Play Stats".

6) In the properties, do the following: Add Playlist 'play stats', Add Artist then Add Album.

Now you can navigate in the "Play Stats" view and check the tracks that you played in the last hour and those that you never played.

You can combine those basic Smartlists with genres or years to build a 'Never played jazz tracks from the sixties'.

– CMagic

How about that... This from the Help File. Thank CMagic for coming up with this.

Reply #52
i dunno, but maybe it's because i have a relatively small playlist (483 songs i like, 33 hours long) but i've never wanted to make dynamic playlists based on genre, recent plays, etc...

i don't even fill in the genre fields in my tags... i don't like labels: rock music is rock music, i don't differentiate from alternative, metal, or punk. so... sudden cravings might be for a certain song, or perhaps an album, or even an artist. If that's the case, just type J in Winamp2, it will bring up a search screen with smart matches. Since my music folders are organized well, it will look for what i type in anywhere in the path, so typing in "Smash Tod" will bring up "Smashing Pumpkins - Today"

Also, I use EAC for ripping (of couse! ) ... i wrote a small C++ program that works as a custom encoder for EAC with command line options... it rips everything to wav, generating a batch file for encoding as it goes. Once all my ripping is complete, i just run the batch file, and it creates all the subdirectories and songs in my standardized naming convention, encodes all my tracks, and I use the MPC encoder to add APE2 tags as well. If I actually used the stuff, I could even get it to replaygain each album.

So basically, I get all my ripping done through one interface with a couple of clicks of the mouse. All my playing done with another program. And I don't burn often at all, but I have Nero covering me on that. If I want to edit my tags, Winamp can handle that, but I don't need to change tags once they're set by the ripping process.

So there you have it. All my needs are covered by specialized programs, made to work to do one thing well, along with a custom program I wrote on my own. If I ever wanted to, I could do some more fancy custom stuff as suggested by other posters, but I've never felt a need for it...

Just a few pennies from me.