Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What's The Best Multimedia Jukebox?

MediaJukebox
[ 36 ] (42.4%)
MusicMatch
[ 9 ] (10.6%)
Real
[ 1 ] (1.2%)
Other
[ 39 ] (45.9%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Topic: What's The Best Multimedia Jukebox? (Read 11705 times) previous topic - next topic

Reply #25
Since when has winamp become a jukebox? Player yes, jukebox no.

He didn't ask for the reason of why you use SIX (?) different programs either. Just what you preferred as far as jukeboxes went. And the reason the Leatherman was initially developed was to fix the originators car. Read up some more.

I see where you got your nick "zero"  Lighten up!!!

Winamp for me
What if the Hokey Pokey....is What it's all about?

Reply #26
I see where you got your nick "zero"  Lighten up!!!

Winamp for me

It's > Zero. Translation-Greater than Zero.

BTW - it is not the only alias I have. Just for this board.

FWIW - the post is several days old. But thanks much for pointing this out!

Listening to: 'A Violent Reaction' from 'The War of Art' by 'American Head Charge' on Media Jukebox

Reply #27
Listening to: 'A Violent Reaction' from 'The War of Art' by 'American Head Charge' on Media Jukebox . That's a good way to promote Mediajukebox outside our mediajukebox forum.

Listening to: 'Amores Perfeitos' from 'Amores Perfeitos' by 'Maio Moço' on Media Jukebox
Made in Portugal

Reply #29
But what do you do when, for example, when you want to listen to a random mix of tracks by electronic artists from the 80s?

I add the files in thier directories and tell winamp to random play.  I rarely have cravings like that though. Music is music. If I like it it does not matter when it was made or by who.

Another plus for separate tools it they get updated on a quicker and more regular basis than a jukebox type software.

I've only been using Media Jukebox for a few months, but I would estimate that there are minor updates and bug fixes posted probably 3 or 4 times a week.  Also, the development team there is very responsive.  On many occassions, I've seen suggestions for new features or ways to make existing features work better posted on the user forum and a day later a they are implemented in a new update.  I find that pretty amazing...a company that actually listens to it's customers.

3 or 4 a week eh? If you follow the separate tools 10 a week for the group is not uncommon. In fact that could be considdered a slow week. Granted you will have to check the CVS, but releasing a new build every day seems a bit overkill.

Reply #30
What can I say

MediaJukeBox might be big and might take more memory then our little cute WinAmp.

But......it has somany freaking good options and it's so good extendable....that WinAmp just aint my style.

for instance, if you want to convert with WinAmp....you have to start plugings and hope it goes good. In case of MediaJukeBox is a full featured functoin.

You can't beat that.

Actually I can. Again right tools for the job.

I have plenty of resources but i am still very resource concious.

Reply #31
The main thing is that there is no jukebox software I could use on more than one platform.If someone could write one that would run under windows and at least linux I might bother with it. But I need one that would run under Windows, Linux, BeOS, and possibly MacOS for me to really go for it. Considdering that 3 out of for of those OS are now posix compliant it should not be a problem right?

Reply #32
I use dapyx mp3 explorer http://www.dapyx-soft.com/ (vers2.0 Beta1) for sorting my music and winamp 2 for playing.

I have mpcs, mp3s and ape files.

dapyx handles them all (altho no ape tag support yet) queues to winamp and doesn't try to do loads of other stuff. Very configurable and there is a support forum.

This is definetely the best jukebox app out there if you want individual programs to do individual functions. If I was using an all in one proggy MediaJukebox is quite good but wasn't the way I wanted to go.

Two other good apps are mexp a winamp plugin -  http://www.mexp.dk/index.shtml
and mp3explorer http://www.mp3-explorer.com/explorer.htm
Mexp is similar to dapyx but is a plug-in rather than a standalone program which makes it inferior to dapyx imho
mp3explorer only handles mp3s and the website hasn't been updated for nearly 2 yrs. Pity.

This site has links to loads of jukeboxs progs (and others) http://www.audiotools.co.uk/

Reply #33
But the main problem in that is...only work with MP3 it will tag APE, MPC, OGG, WMA and many others? don't think so. MediaJukebox offers that to more or less 60 types of files
Made in Portugal

Reply #34
But the main problem in that is...only work with MP3 it will tag APE, MPC, OGG, WMA and many others? don't think so. MediaJukebox offers that to more or less 60 types of files

so MJ supports ape tags? what about ape2 tags?

Reply #35
No, MJ doesn't support APE2 tags yet.  Version 9 is going to be released soon, but not sure if APE2 is gonna be in there.

dapyx mp3 explorer looks interesting, but noticed that it is using ID3 for MPC tagging.  Also, wonder if the developer is working on OGG support?

Edit:
Looked around at dapyx site a little more.  It does have OGG support.  It also says it supports reading APE tags.

Reply #36
so MJ supports ape tags? what about ape2 tags?

APE tags in regards to what format?

Musepack:
APE 1.0 tag: yes
APE 2.0 tag: currently, no

Monkey's Audio
APE 1.0 tag: yes
APE 2.0 tag: currently, no

All other formats:
Irrelevant

Reply #37

If you are gonna build a library you should try to stick with a format. 60 is nice, but it is nothing to shout about. All it needs is about 6 or 8. Again jack of all trades master of none. Do one thing and do it well. Do a few things and do them competently. Try to do everything and well, good luck. But as I said they are to OS specific so they are not for me. As for me I am making my own system using MySQL, PHP, Java and other bits and pieces. So it could technically run from a web enabled phone. Let alone a windows system.

Reply #38
If you are gonna build a library you should try to stick with a format.

Correct but can't do that i have few hard drive space, if i was a 100Gb HD i will choose APE but i have many APE( Good ALbuns ) MP3, WMA and OGG's to the another albuns this files sound pretty good but i am always thinking :and if... but MJ is a very good tool to manage all my files and to encode decode burn and bla bla bla
Made in Portugal

Reply #39
Very thanks to the people that vote this poll and today 9/september/02 MJ is the lider.
Made in Portugal

Reply #40
If you are gonna build a library you should try to stick with a format.

Correct but can't do that i have few hard drive space, if i was a 100Gb HD i will choose APE but i have many APE( Good ALbuns ) MP3, WMA and OGG's to the another albuns this files sound pretty good but i am always thinking :and if... but MJ is a very good tool to manage all my files and to encode decode burn and bla bla bla

Just because you lack HD space does not mean you should flip flop formats still. For permanent backup lossless is nice. But for casual playback from a HD Vorbis or even MP3 suffice. But never WMA.

Reply #41
But for casual playback from a HD Vorbis or even MP3 suffice. But never WMA.

You are right, a couple of week's to now i am substituting all my WMA's to OGG's. WMA? no more thanks

Listening 'A Nau Catrineta' from 'Os Melhores dos Melhores' by 'Fausto' in Mediajukebox
Made in Portugal

Reply #42
Ok, I'd like to add my one: Songs-DB (www.songs-db.com). I'm interested if people here would appreciate it. BTW, so far it supports MP3, WMA, WAV, VQF and CDA, OGG will come soon, MPC, APE and others a bit later.

Jiri

P.S.: Any feedback is appreciated.

Reply #43
Not bad the screenshots. Don't knew this i will make the download and tried
Made in Portugal

Reply #44
It's very difficult to download this file their server always cut the file at half, to download i had to use getright and with 3/4 clicks on the resume button i die that...now testing

Listening 'Kusha Las Payas' from 'Las Hijas Del Tomate' by 'Las Ketchup' in MediaJukebox
Made in Portugal

Reply #45
But what do you do when, for example, when you want to listen to a random mix of tracks by electronic artists from the 80s?

Good point. But lets take that a bit further...

I want to listen to random mix of tracks by electronic artists from the 80s that I haven't listened to for over a month.

or

I want to listen to a random mix of tracks that I added to my jukebox, but have listened to yet.

This would require fields for 'when a track is added to db', 'how many times a track was played' and 'when it was last played'.

Last I checked, MJ doesn't support these fields, so I use Siren Jukebox instead. Unfortunately it is no longer being developed, so I am looking for something new. Surprisingly, it looks like Windows Media Player 9 is getting pretty close. I was also hoping to find a way to do this with Winamp3, but so far, it's Media Library is very weak.

Reply #46
I want to listen to random mix of tracks by electronic artists from the 80s that I haven't listened to for over a month.

or

I want to listen to a random mix of tracks that I added to my jukebox, but have listened to yet.

This would require fields for 'when a track is added to db', 'how many times a track was played' and 'when it was last played'.

Last I checked, MJ doesn't support these fields, so I use Siren Jukebox instead.

MJ8 don't support that but i think MJ9 will and is now in alpha stage take a look in the forum of his site and tell the developers you want to see that in MJ9, they listen the users of their Jukebox
Made in Portugal

Reply #47
Noreltny,

Yeah, I don't think you can do that yet in MJ, but you might be able to do something kind of like it with the Smartlists.  Also, there has been talk of this on the MJ user forum, so it's a possibilty that you may be able to do it with version 9 which will be released soon.

Reply #48
Noreltny,

Yeah, I don't think you can do that yet in MJ, but you might be able to do something kind of like it with the Smartlists.  Also, there has been talk of this on the MJ user forum, so it's a possibilty that you may be able to do it with version 9 which will be released soon.

Okay, thanks. I'll see if I can find some info over on MJ's website.

Reply #49
anyone ever head of wincue?

its a graet plugin for winamp 2.x

it can search for files by extension tio add to its own media library that is then searchable by path/filename/artist/title, etc.

it CAN read id3v1.1 but no other tags, however a sufficient organization  of your hard drive will work just fine for this.

also it can autocue files when only 30 seconds is left in the last song of your playlist, chosing songs from either all of your library, or from only the current search matches.

overall its a great program.

www.wincue.org

ps. i voted for music match because i like it and it has a great mp3 3ncoder.