Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to use masstagger without underscores? (Read 3137 times) previous topic - next topic

How to use masstagger without underscores?

So all of my mp3 files have underscores instead of spaces, for example,
1991--Second_Hand\Mark_Heard--02--Lonely_Moon.mp3

I'd like to have the file tagged without underscores, so that
ARTIST = Mark Heard, ALBUM = Second Hand, TITLE = Lonely Moon
  not:
ARTIST = Mark_Heard, ALBUM = Second_Hand, TITLE = Lonely_Moon

Case's Tag.exe program does this automatically (at least with the Tag frontend). However, foobar2000's masstagger program, which I would prefer to use for everything, tags the files using underscores (like the filename) instead of spaces.
I haven't figured out where I can set an option so that it tags with spaces instead of underscores.
Any help is appreciated here; I figure it's something simple, but I've not seen it yet, and I've not found any answers by searching the forum. Thanks.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #1
You'll want to use the $replace function, something like "$replace(%title%,'_',' ')".  I don't know if you can do it within "guess values from filename" (I'm assuming that's what you're using right now).  You might have to do a second pass with masstagger's "format value from other fields", or better yet, make a script.

You can find information about the $replace function and other available functions in the titleformatting_help.html file in your foobar directory.

Reply #2
Okay, thanks. the $replace function worked. Here's the script that I've set up:

Guess values from filename - "%date%--%album%/%artist%--%tracknumber%--%title%"
Format "ARTIST" using "$replace(%artist%,'_',' ')"
Format "TITLE" using "$replace(%title%,'_',' ')"
Format "ALBUM" using "$replace(%album%,'_',' ')"

It still seems as if Foobar's masstagger should have a more automatic function to do away with underscores, as a lot of people name their files with underscores and hardly anyone wants underscores in their tags...
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #3
Why have underscores in the first place?  It's not '92 any more.

Reply #4
I don't see just how much more automated (than the script you've come up with) it can get, other than a Replace all underscores in all tags with spaces option?