Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bluescreen crash with kernel streaming (Read 4170 times) previous topic - next topic

Bluescreen crash with kernel streaming

Hi all,

I have a bluescreen crash problem. I have an EPOX 8RDA+ motherboard on a AMD 2200+ cpu and M-Audio Audiophile Delta 2496 soundcard. When I use Kernel Streaming, it works fine until I pause playback and try to resume it by hitting "play". Then the system crashes to a bluescreen, giving an elaborate physical memory dump message. Below, however, the file "delta.sys" (= soundcard driver) is mentioned! So I'm guessing it has something to do with my current M-audio drivers, which are the latest version.

Before I used KS on my onboard soundstorm card of the Epox 8rda+, without problems.

So, if there is a solution (different drivers???) please help me out here.

Thanks in advance!

Reply #1
Nobody any ideas??? Anything???

Reply #2
Why don't you try foo_output_asio(dll)? It works great with my Revo 7.1 and the sound is super.

Reply #3
I use Asio currently. But it still sometimes causes some hick-ups in the tracks. It's okay but i would prefer KS!

Reply #4
Why don't you try foo_output_asio(dll)? It works great with my Revo 7.1 and the sound is super.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289287"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why not simply use "direct sound"? It certainly shoudl be the option that gives the least problems.

Kernel Streaming is experimental and may or may not work with some soundcards and ASIO is, well ASIO is ASIO.

I presonally really have no idea why some people have become obsessed with kernel streaming and ASIO. If kernel streaming works for you then fine. If it doesn't just use direct sound and you will certainly have the same sound quality as with kernel streaming.

ASIO is basically meant for musicians and music composing software where low latency is needed. This has no influence whaatsoever on the sound quality though and latency is not an issue with simple playback.

Reply #5
No, the sound is actually slightly different with Kernel Streaming, nothing much, but enough for me to use it instead of DirectSound (that has fading, which I also want). It's like there's more energy in the sound with KS.

Reply #6
Exactly. I have a fairly nice audio system (Monitor Audio Silver S1 speakers, AMC 3025a amp) and I can clearly hear the difference. Directsound always sounds somewhat muffled in midrange and treble. Kernel streaming or ASIO is much more lively and much more close to the original cd-recording. I admit, you won't notice the difference on computer speakers!

Reply #7
Hi all,

I have a bluescreen crash problem. I have an EPOX 8RDA+ motherboard on a AMD 2200+ cpu and M-Audio Audiophile Delta 2496 soundcard. When I use Kernel Streaming, it works fine until I pause playback and try to resume it by hitting "play". Then the system crashes to a bluescreen, giving an elaborate physical memory dump message. Below, however, the file "delta.sys" (= soundcard driver) is mentioned! So I'm guessing it has something to do with my current M-audio drivers, which are the latest version.

Before I used KS on my onboard soundstorm card of the Epox 8rda+, without problems.

So, if there is a solution (different drivers???) please help me out here.

Thanks in advance!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289105"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You should be asking this question to M-Audio support. Regardless of whether foobar was/is at fault, it shouldn't crash their kernel mode driver so give them a shout.

Reply #8
I get the blue screen problem with kernel streaming and my Terratec ewx24/96 aswell, but it only occurs when i use Voptxp and play music at the same time.

i have no problems with directsound, which is what i currently use
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #9
...It's like there's more energy in the sound with KS.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289300"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm just getting sick of this.  Bring forth ABX tests, or sit down & shut up.

Reply #10
Maybe the font-size of the warning-text in the KS-plugin should be increased to stop these stupid support-requests about KS.

Oh, by the way...... the "clearer" sound may indeed be just a case of "more energy"...... because it is just LOUDER than your wave-windowsmixer settings!
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #11
Why have I been warned about my comment on KS?  Seems unfair to me.

I do recognize that it is an experimental plugin, but I don't think I should be punished for expressing my opinion about its sound quality/characteristics. After all, it IS a different plugin, it uses some other methods, I don't know anything about it but to me it sounds different. And YES, I know about the volume bypassing stuff, the volume is set to the same for DirectSound. That doesn't have anything to do with it.

The warning made me unable to post for about a week I think. I couldn't figure it out at all (and it's apparently impossible to find a working admin email link on these forums...) until I saw the percentage link on the left side of my posts...

Reply #12
...It's like there's more energy in the sound with KS.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289300"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm just getting sick of this.  Bring forth ABX tests, or sit down & shut up.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290212"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh, I missed this.

Well, I'm going to do an ABX test then. There is an ABX plugin for FB2k, right? Does that allow testing with different output plugins?