Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Static when streaming audio (Read 4408 times) previous topic - next topic

Static when streaming audio

Playing mp3s normaly sounds just fine, but when Im streaming using the oddcast + icecast/shoutcast plugins, the listeners hear static on certain sounds (bass, some cymbals from drums).  I don't know what the problem is, I tried playing around with the equalizer, that didnt help.  I want to stream music and have no static. Any ideas?

Reply #1
Anyone? Comon..  I stream perfectly with no static when I use winamp, but winamp is terrible with large playlists +3000 songs.  Common, any ideas? why theres static when I stream?

Reply #2
Transcoding issue...???
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #3
Transcoding issue...???
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288770"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That doesnt really help  How would I solve this transcoding issue?

Reply #4
Common.. anyone?!?!

Reply #5
Turbok2, assuming that you use ShoutCast right now, and Lame-MP3 format for streaming, here is a possible solution:

I had the EXACT same problem with OddCast (Using V2), these crapped-up sounds, and I've tried all sorts of things, from 'different version LAME ENC DLLs' to other attempts.

What solved it for me was this:
I stopped using LAME MP3 Streaming altogether, obviously there's something in OddCast that isn't quite working -> which means I also stopped using Shoutcast.

Instead, I now use Oddcast + IceCast for Serving (ICE has OGG Vorbis instead of LAME-MP3).
Works great, listeners have no complaints whatsoever! It also appears that OddCast works more 'properly' with IceCast (The name and track-tags will be forwarded to server properly, which did not happen with ShoutCast).

Though I realize you may have tried this already (first post did mention IceCast), you can grab the the latest release in case you haven't yet tried this:
http://www.icecast.org/download.php

Hope this helps somewhat!

Reply #6
I stopped using LAME MP3 Streaming altogether, obviously there's something in OddCast that isn't quite working -> which means I also stopped using Shoutcast.

Maybe the distortion reported here is due to mp3's difficulties with low bitrates in general. For me Lames mp3s can start to sound acceptable at around 80 kbs if a suitable preset* is used. Ogg should certainly perform better.
no conscience > no custom

Reply #7
>.< I dont really feel like converting my whole collection into ogg      I have the icecast server and the oddcast plugin for foobar.  How would I go about fixing this? Just set the oddcast plugin to use OGG vobis? Do I have to change my collection file types?  Perhaps Cless can get in touch with me via AIM/MSN ? I'll stream so he can listen to it first hand.

Reply #8
Turbok - Wow, by all means, that's not what I meant. Don't change your collection!
You absolutely DO NOT NEED to convert your entire stash into OGG!
What I mean is, setting your OddCast to generate an OGG Stream from the assorted media files which you'll play, instead of generating an MP3 one.

Think about it, if you use ShoutCast, you can be playing audio from a CD (thus CDA), and OddCast will convert that to a http://mydns.huh/listen.pls
The conversion itself is an on-the-fly process, that's why OddCast is a DSP

So, assuming you use OddCast v2, Simply go to its 'Configure' panel and set Encoder type to OGG Instead of LAME. Your stream will now be http://mydns.huh/live.ogg or whatever else you would like: the filename can be specified underneath the 'Server' tab, the 'MountPoint'. You'd just type in /live.ogg or /listen.ogg.

Of course your file types remain the same! Otherwise how could you play any sort of file in your Foobar, be it WAV, OGG, MID, CDA, FLAC, and Oddcast still automatically converts these to the Streaming Cast  - 'as we go along' kind of deal.

Like I said, all you need is IceCast for the server, and the proper configuration of OddCast to send off the Stream to IceCast.

As for ChiGung's comment -> I had assumed that myself too - 'crappy bitrate', but my initial problem occurred when streaming 'the usual': 128KBPS! That's not exactly very low  - but switching to OGG certainly boosted performance. Not only is the crap gone, Lows and mids sound more decent in general.

Reply #9
Open foobar prefs and DSP Manager and turn off all and test...

My problem was Convert mono to stereo....
God Bless U.S.A

Reply #10
What quality for OGG do I use then?  I hear its on a 1-10 scale? My connection maxes out uploading at 80kbps.  whats a prefered setting then, where it sounds decent, and I can have 6 + listeners.

ok, for those that can connect, theres no more static, but now some people cant connect anymore. it conencts but they get nothing. No music.  Do the listeners need something on their side to be able to listen now that I'm streaming with ogg?