Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Clicking and popping while typing? (Read 2676 times) previous topic - next topic

Clicking and popping while typing?

I'm experincing popping and clicking inerrupting my music while playing any of my 800+ Monkey's Audio (3.97 and 3.99 compressions) using f2k.  The problem only happens when I'm typing (in Word, right now, etc.).  If there's no keyboard activity, the music plays without blemishes.  Why?  Is there a way to fix this?

I'm using foo_ape 1.1 and waveOut output.

My keyboard is a Microsoft Internet Keyboard plugged into an NF7-S.  My sound card is an Audigy 2 ZS.

Reply #1
Two things to look at here. Firstly check DMA is enabled on the drive, if not then it'll be a nightmare if something else like (like the Windows swap file) is using the hard drive. Secondly, make the foobar output buffer larger.

If these things are okay and you still have the problems then i'd suggest a memory upgrade.

EDIT: If it only happens when typing (and not when mousing around/selecting other apps) then check how much memory Word is using? Is the document large, with big pictures or does it maybe use loads of fonts?

Also - have you tried using DirectSound drivers for foobar instead and turning off any effects on the Audigy control panel? IIRC you have an nforce board, both mine are smooth as silk with media content and continue this way even when the hard drive is being hit hard.

Reply #2
nForce2 issue. Been there done that. Nothing really helped me with the audio problems, so atm i'm waiting to buy a new mobo.

Trying an USB keyboard/mouse combo might help tho.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Reply #3
Two things to look at here. Firstly check DMA is enabled on the drive, if not then it'll be a nightmare if something else like (like the Windows swap file) is using the hard drive. Secondly, make the foobar output buffer larger.

If these things are okay and you still have the problems then i'd suggest a memory upgrade.

EDIT: If it only happens when typing (and not when mousing around/selecting other apps) then check how much memory Word is using? Is the document large, with big pictures or does it maybe use loads of fonts?

Also - have you tried using DirectSound drivers for foobar instead and turning off any effects on the Audigy control panel? IIRC you have an nforce board, both mine are smooth as silk with media content and continue this way even when the hard drive is being hit hard.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288527"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm running DMA on both drives.  I changed the output from waveOut to DirectSound and increased the buffer to 2000 ms and the problem seems to be a bit better.  I may try 3000 as it still occaisionally pops.  Is there a point where it becomes excessive and perhaps detrimental?

My memory is fine - 1GB of Corsair PC3200 CAS2.0.

The problem happens while I type anywhere - including online right now.

There are no Audigy effects  on - I can't stand those.
nForce2 issue. Been there done that. Nothing really helped me with the audio problems, so atm i'm waiting to buy a new mobo.

Trying an USB keyboard/mouse combo might help tho.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288528"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I do have an nForce2 board - NF7-S running a 2500+ at 2.42Ghz.

Likewise, I guess this may just be another sign that it's time to upgrade.

Reply #4
Try the kernel streaming output plugin, it fixed this exact issue for me.