Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Req: Tool To Split Wavs At Silence (Read 2659 times) previous topic - next topic

Req: Tool To Split Wavs At Silence

Hi,

I´m searching for a freeware-tool to split a long wav-file into multiple tracks.

It would be perfect if the tool
- splits whenever it detects silence
- let´s me add/delete splits manually

I know it must be out there, but apart from CD Wave (shareware) I couldn´t find anything alike.

Thanks

Campari

Reply #1
This is a fantastic capability. I actually bought diamondcut millenium when I was a newb, and it has this feature.

Damn long way from freeware though.

I hope someone helps you out. Diamond cut just scans for a series of samples below a given user set level. After that you just set the duration of samples at which point you want a break and it does the rest.

Reply #2
I thought about writing a simple utility like this for splitting up rips of vinyl and cassettes, but figured that it must already exist somewhere.

It would be nice if you could specify how many total tracks there were and the minimum duration of any track and the program would prescan the whole wav and determine the most likely point of each break; then do it.

Another handy feature would be automatic generation of fade-ins and fade-outs. The only tricky part would be determining the start point of a track that fades-in naturally; fortunately those aren't too common.

Reply #3
Better late than never, I think this does the more important part of the job!  I just uploaded to Mirror 1, below, a utility I called 'Splitter'.

It takes one input wave file and, using user supplied parameters, looks for 'silence' below a specified threshold (in dB) of a specified duration (in milliseconds). It reports the interval following which the gap occurred and the duration of the gap. It operates in 'analysis' mode by default and this should be used to tune for the particular input stream. When satisfied that the correct 'break' points have been identified, running in 'split' mode will cause the input to be written as a series of output wave files broken at the end of the reported silence gaps. Correct channel alignment is preserved. The output files are named as: 'input_name.wav.n.wav', where n = a number starting at 1 and incrementing automatically. Output is scaled to 16 bit integer PCM format.

Any use to anyone?