Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Seeking ABX software for Mac OS X (Read 28019 times) previous topic - next topic

Seeking ABX software for Mac OS X

Reply #50
That's a problem with Foobar on OS X also. The WINE emulation layer cannot output anything higher than 16 bit and at best silently truncates.

Reply #52
ABXer is not good enough, for the following reasons:

It is undocumented, without source code, without developer contact information, and with practically no ability to set preferences.  I simply do not know what its practice is with regard to offset correction, level matching, handling of different formats etc.

It takes a very long time to get ready at the beginning of every test.  Even If I do the same test twice in a row, it repeats this delay.

It has no continuous-play capability -- you cannot switch selections on the fly to get a feel for change in overall color.  When you switch selections, it returns to the preset starting point, which is very hard to adjust with any precision.

It doesn't have a training mode in which A and B would be clearly identified and immediate feedback would be given as to whether a guess is correct.

It doesn't document the time of each guess and the starting point set for that guess.

Plus, it has an audible click at the beginning of playback.

Reply #53
I simply do not know what its practice is with regard to offset correction, level matching, handling of different formats etc.

You've made some excellent points but offset correction and level matching are not exactly exactly part of the the ABX plug-in for foobar2000, which is by far and away the tool most commonly used by the members of this forum.  foobar2000 does enable one to use replaygain.  It does not, in any way whatsoever, do anything with offsets.  Typical ABX comparison generally does not need either offset correction or level matching.  When it becomes an issue, it can easily be handled with a wave editor.

Reply #54
My experience is with ABX/HR for Java, which performs level-matching at 16 bits by default.  I prefer not to have the ABX program perform level-matching.  All of the samples that I have ever attempted to compare have been perfectly aligned, but there were times when I wasn't sure if the conversion I had performed had maybe introduced an offset;  the fact that ABX/HR for Java had offset correction saved me a step of double-checking.  In these two cases, it would be fine with me if the program were documented not to have the feature.  My other objections are more serious. 

I don't really want to install an awkward port of foobar2000 onto my Mac just in order to do ABX at 96kHz.