Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Clicking an item in history, fb2k stops responding (Read 2086 times) previous topic - next topic

Clicking an item in history, fb2k stops responding

Hi,

I've had this intermittent problem for some time now:

Sometimes when I doubleclick an item in the History, fb2k stops responding. I am pretty sure that this happens only if the items is no longer reachable (ie. the stream of a net radio is down, or I'm trying to play back a local file, I have for some reason deleted or moved.)

First, the fb2k stops responding. Second, it either simply stays non-responsive or a "Not responding" can be seen on the fb2k window (both the player and the history window). The process has to be terminated via Task Manager, sometimes clicking the Close-cross on the top-right-corner does the trick, most of the times not.

After closing, the Fb2k agent stays in the system tray, unless touched with the mouse, when it dissapears.

The problem does not happen if clicking an item in the playlist or opening something via browsing the file or browsing a live shortcut on the internet, only while clicking an item in the history.

Has this occured to others? Now, of course one possible suggestion would be to click only on "alive" items in the History, but as I mainly listen to various net radio streams, this is not always possible. Maybe I should start using some other method to keep track of what was good and what wasn't... 

The OS is Win XP UK, SP2. All updates/patches installed. Fb2k 0.8.3. Column UI used, no modifications as far as I can remember. I'm not using any DSPs, playback 24-bit fixed-point, no dithering, output DirectSound 2.0, hw mixing allowed, Buffer length: 200ms, fade length 0ms. Sound card is an extrenal USB-based M-Audio Sonica.

Sorry for not including a crash log, how do I produce it? Can't seem to find a way to produce it, tried searching for instructions, found none... Also, please tell if I should include some other information here...

Wbr, Tatu

Reply #1
I have a different issue with foo_history, maybe I should have posted in Historys thread, but now this is up, and I guess foosion will read it, so.....

When I have started a song from history and then changed the playlist (too look at something or something) and then want to return to currently playing track, thus doing what I usually do to get focus and highlight; doubleclick the statusbar - nothing happens.... Infact no way of getting focus and highlight back to currently playing track works when the currently playing track have been started from history, either nothing happens, or it refocuses to the last song that were started "normally"...

0.8.3 on XP sp2.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #2
Sometimes when I doubleclick an item in the History, fb2k stops responding. I am pretty sure that this happens only if the items is no longer reachable (ie. the stream of a net radio is down, or I'm trying to play back a local file, I have for some reason deleted or moved.)[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285037"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Please make sure you have the latest version of foo_history; it should solve the problem at least for local deleted files, I'm not sure about net radio though. In case the problem remains with the latest version, well, I'm fairly sure I know what's going wrong, but I don't have much time to implement a workaround right now.

I have a different issue with foo_history, maybe I should have posted in Historys thread, but now this is up, and I guess foosion will read it, so.....

When I have started a song from history and then changed the playlist (too look at something or something) and then want to return to currently playing track, thus doing what I usually do to get focus and highlight; doubleclick the statusbar - nothing happens.... Infact no way of getting focus and highlight back to currently playing track works when the currently playing track have been started from history, either nothing happens, or it refocuses to the last song that were started "normally"...[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=285043"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's a known problem with foo_history. It usually happens when the track is no longer on the playlist it was played from, or the playlist is not known to foo_history (happens when the playlist is removed or after restarting foobar2000 since that data is not saved to history.flg). It then plays the song directly, which leaves the core with not information about the location of the song on a playlist, which in turn causes the strange behaviour of the "Highlight playing item" command (however you invoke it).

Reply #3
Thanks Foosion,

judging from a few tests, changing from foo_history version 0.8.0 to 0.8.1 seems to have solved my problem, at least while playing "dead" local files.

Unfortunately, I have a "problem" trying to test does it work when trying to play back "dead" net radio streams - all the streams are live right now, of course... 

I'll report back if the net streams won't work.

And, how can I produce a crash log when the Foobar crashes or freezes?  Can't seem to find instructions for it anywhere.

Wbr, Tatu