Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What's diskwriter's "use replaygain" actually do? (Read 3526 times) previous topic - next topic

What's diskwriter's "use replaygain" actually do?

I had foo_discwriter's "use replaygain" on accidentally while encoding a few CD rips lossless (to flac). By the time I noticed it I already had deleted the .wavs of the first few albums. I was able to do a bit compare for the last album though, and the .wav and .flac came out identical.

That'd mean it did not modify the input data, but it didn't add gain tags to the .flacs either. Does anyone know for sure what this option does? Should I rerip just to be sure?

C.

Reply #1
I had foo_discwriter's "use replaygain" on accidentally while encoding a few CD rips lossless (to flac). By the time I noticed it I already had deleted the .wavs of the first few albums. I was able to do a bit compare for the last album though, and the .wav and .flac came out identical.

That'd mean it did not modify the input data, but it didn't add gain tags to the .flacs either. Does anyone know for sure what this option does? Should I rerip just to be sure?

C.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=284981"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The discwrite will only use replaygain when converting those files that already have replaygain info added to them. If the files don't have replaygain info added it won't use replaygain of course.

Basically it works the same way as the replaygain settings for playback.

Reply #2
Thanks! I thought it might have done a RG scan alongside the encoding.

Reply #3
So to be clear, checking RG in diskwriter only transfers the RG Metadata? Is that correct? I wasn't sure if it possibly wrote the new file(s) at the RG levels.

Cheers,
Pete

Reply #4
No, the new files will be written at the RG levels... As in, if you run the replaygain on them it comes out as 0dB.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Reply #6
For additional clarification:

My main goal is to transcode lossless files to a lossy format for play on an iPod. Of course I use foo_pod extensively. Foo-pod usage aside, here are my questions:

Question1) Will there be any difference, quality or otherwise when using these  different processing schemes?(Lossless files have already been RG)

SchemeA) Step1. Transcoding from lossless to AAC/MP3 using Diskwriter. Step2. Running AACGain/MP3Gain on the AAC/MP3

SchemeB) Step1. Transcoding from lossless to AAC/MP3 using Diskwriter with RG

SchemeC) Step1. Trancoding from lossless to AAC/MP3 using Diskwriter. Step2. Running Replaygain on the AAC/MP3 files.

Now I realize that SchemeC is inherently different than A and B. It is my understanding that in C only metadata is affected and the player must support RG to adjust the volume. The problem I think with C is that if I scan the AAC/MP3 file with AACGain/MP3Gain the files frequently show clipping. Which leads me to the second question.

Question2) If  the AAC/MP3 are clipped and I RG them and play them in Foobar, is the clipping played back or not?(I am specifically referring to clipping that would have been eliminated by running AACGain/MP3Gain on the lossy files.

I hope my questions are intelligible. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Cheers,
Pete