Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem converting long .m4a's to .mp3 (Read 2619 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem converting long .m4a's to .mp3

Hi,

I have three low-rate .m4a files that I need to convert to .mp3, but I have problems.
I am totally new to foobar2000, I have just installed the program and lame.exe (and let the lame presets point to lame.exe).
Being computer literate I have looked through Preferences in the program, the FAQ and this forum - but have neither found a solution nor a workaround.

* The .m4a files are each over 6 hours long, they are all playable on the computer.
* I select the medium preset for lame (I could really do with a way to get lower bitrate since the original files are very lo-fi), select one file and right-click -> convert.
* It doesn't matter which preset I use, which of the three files I select, or if I choose "Convert" or "Convert to one file" - I get the same problem.
* The problem is that the conversion stops saying that it couldn't write to the output file.
* When it stops, it has already written 2 hours and 15 minutes to the .mp3 file, that file is fine and I can listen to it - but regardless of preset or which input file it stops after 2:15. It's not that all data is there and it just looks smaller/shorter, the conversion aborts after 2:15.

- I can't find anything in the faq or help, but it seems since there is "Convert to one file" the other command would create several shorter files numbered from 001 - but I can't find a setting for duration/size of each part.
- A workaround would be to cut each .mp4 file into three parts and then convert, but I don't know how that is done...?

Any help?

Reply #1
Fb2K will first convert your file to wav (24 bits in case of lossy to lossy encoding) and then convert that wav file with the command line encoder you specified.

Unfortunately wav specs specify a maximum filesize of 2 gigs, wich explains why your file chokes upon conversion exactly after 2h15m.

Reply #2
OK, thanks for your answer. That probably also explains why changing one seemingly unrelated setting changed the behaviour.

Since the original audio is so lo-fi I changed "Ouyput bit depth" from 16 to 8. I then saw that it was for "lossless formats only", but I pressed the button anyway - and got around 4.5 hours

So, the best bet is to find a simple tool for cutting the originals to pieces smaller than 2:15, any suggestions?

And, BTW, can I get foobar2000 to create smaller files from these low bitrate originals? Skimmed trough the LAME info but found nothing smaller than the medium preset or abr 128...

Reply #4
Well I found BeSplit which cuts the originals without problem. Since this was a one-off for a mobile phone it's good enough for me with this workaround.