Skip to main content
Topic: How do I completely "clean out" my MP3 tags... (Read 6119 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I completely "clean out" my MP3 tags...

So I'm giving Foobar a shot. I love the insane amount of customization options the program offers, but I cannot for the life of me get it to recognize more than 2% of all my MP3 ID tags.

I've never had a problem with MP3 tags until now, so I honestly am not sure of all of their specs. To the best of my knowledge, all of the MP3s currently on my machine are formatted AT LEAST as ID3v2, and most of them probably v1 as well. They show up/display fine in Winamp and J River MC, but not Foobar. I've read a lot about removing MP3Gain and extra/uneeded values from my MP3s, but I really have no idea on which program I should be using to "clean out" my MP3 files. I've tried removing the tags completely, then reinstering various formats but to no avail. I'm totally mindboggled at what I'm supposed to be doing, so I'd really appreciate the input of someone more versed in these matters than myself.

Thanks a ton in advance for helping me get foobar2k working to my liking. I think this program has some amazing possibilities, and I'm really looking forward to taking full advantage of what it has to offer.

Reply #1
You can use MP3 Tag Studio for renaming the files based on the current tag contents. Then, you can wipe out all the tags using the same software. The same software can also re-tag your files based on the new file names. Ain't some things in life so simple? 

Reply #2
You can use MP3 Tag Studio for renaming the files based on the current tag contents. Then, you can wipe out all the tags using the same software. The same software can also re-tag your files based on the new file names. Ain't some things in life so simple? 
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or he could use Masstagger (the "Remove all fields" command) or something like [a href="http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html]Mp3tag[/url]. 

Reply #3
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281640"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's actually what I ended up doing. That was my last resort, as I'm totally paranoid of hosing all of my tags with that method, but so far it looks like it's working fine.

So far...with one problem. The %genre%I had in my OLD tags that had spaces in them do not seem to be showing up in Foobar, but if I add them (with spaces) manually within Foobar they show up fine. Any thoughts?

Reply #4
... Ain't some things in life so simple? 

For me - NO, when I switched to foobar I had about 70 CD-Rs x2 (every CD-R is doubled). So I need to burn new ones 
I can't understand why can't foobar support tags which are easily supported by other (even lower standing) players?
By the way: can anybody advise me how can I force foobar to show 'dynamic bitrate' i status bar?
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

Reply #5
By the way: can anybody advise me how can I force foobar to show 'dynamic bitrate' i status bar?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281938"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How about this?
Code: [Select]
$if(%__bitrate%,$if2(%__bitrate_dynamic%,%__bitrate%)kbps)

Reply #6
... Ain't some things in life so simple? 

For me - NO, when I switched to foobar I had about 70 CD-Rs x2 (every CD-R is doubled). So I need to burn new ones 
I can't understand why can't foobar support tags which are easily supported by other (even lower standing) players?

Sadly, he's right. Foobar is a great and powerful program, but such a picky means of supporting ID3 tags, a standard existent for a while now, is incredibly stubborn at best. There is really no reason it shouldn't allow for a little leeway, aside from catering to the "standards crazed" audio users out there.

But I did happen to solve my problem, even though it took me the effort of sending a program through the insane amount of mp3s I have on my HD and several hours. I really hope foobar is worth it...

Reply #7

How about this?

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281941"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your effort, but it still shows average constant bitrate 
Speex for speech

Reply #8
I don't know if this is related to your problem, but you've got to set foobar2000 to use ID3v2 tags rather than APEv2 tags for tagging manually.  Although ape tags are clearly a better format, it's beyond me as to why they are the default in foobar, as it's a very strange type of tag to use on MP3s.

I had problems when using the MP3Gain program because it writes ape tags with the replaygain info, which seems to confuse foobar.  (Again, it seems weird that it writes ape tags, and not the ID3 tags as I believe foobar2000 does  with replaygain when it's setup to use ID3v2).  This program has the capacity to remove these tags, fortunately.  I was thrilled when I found out about that, because I was able to very quickly and easily save the tags of all my files.

Here's the faq for MP3Gain, FYI: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/faq.php

It appears that it may be too late for Mitleid, but perhaps someone else can benefit from this info.  And Mitleid, did you use MP3Gain on your files?  I'd like to know what you did to them to render them unusable in foobar2000, but you mentioned MP3Gain, so that's my first guess.

Reply #9

How about this?

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=282038"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Enable "Show dynamic info" under Prefs|Display.

Reply #10
I'd suggest waiting for version 0.9 of foobar2000 instead of re-burning 70 CD-Rs or something like that.

Reply #11

How about this?

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=282038"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Enable "Show dynamic info" under Prefs|Display.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=282061"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's already enabled and has no effect 
Speex for speech

Reply #12
I'd suggest waiting for version 0.9 of foobar2000 instead of re-burning 70 CD-Rs or something like that.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=282068"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is it foobar2000's problem or it's 'tag' plug-in?
Speex for speech

Reply #13
If it is what i suppose (the way tag-syncronization with foobar works - and the way foobar decides which tags to read), then it is a foobar-"problem". Although, mostly, it is not a problem but a feature which absolutely makes sense. The way foobar handles and syncronizes tagz is IMHO actually the right way to do it - but so far it is the only app i know of which handles mp3-tags this way.

It may sound like a bug or problem to you on first sight, because all you notice is that something doesn't work. But if you search the forums on how fb2k-tagging works, then you will understand that the reason why it doesn't work has to do with the approach of how fb2k handles tags - and that this approach actually makes alot of sense, and the way almost every other app handles tagz feels very obsolete, unintuitive and ineffective.

However, the main reason for the "disappearing tags" is because fb2k doesn't "merge" existing tag-formats - and thats something which could be changed without changing the general approach how fb2k syncronizes tags.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #14
Aside from stupid (and easily fixed) things like adding blank APEv2 tags with full ID3v2 tags, what other issues are there?

I used ID3v2 for a very long time with many thousands of files and never had any problems, aside from it being slow.

Reply #15
Foobar2000 > Preferences > Input > Standard Inputs > at the end check option Real time bitrate display for VBR files - it should work just fine.

Reply #16
I use Tag Scanner to write my mp3 tagz.
God Bless U.S.A

Reply #17
Foobar2000 > Preferences > Input > Standard Inputs > at the end check option Real time bitrate display for VBR files - it should work just fine.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=282308"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great! It helped. Thanks.
Speex for speech

Reply #18
Great! It helped. Thanks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=282552"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're welcome!

Reply #19
Ok. So I'll use APE V2.

The problem is configuring eac. I followed the advice here: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/EAC/index.html

But i keep getting wave files, despite change the extension in eac to ape...

Any thoughts?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019