Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Non scientific community blind listening test (Read 5481 times) previous topic - next topic

Non scientific community blind listening test

For fun I have decided to present everyone with a blind listening test.

From zero to all of the following files have been encoded and then decoded by wavpacks lossy algorithm running at 240 kbs.

I am just interested in comments or observations that everyone has.

Can you hear any artifacts?  Can you differentiate between any of these files?

File A

File B

File C

Reply #1

From zero to all of the following files have been encoded and then decoded by wavpacks lossy algorithm running at 240 kbs.

File A

File B

File C
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278785"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

it maybe a good idea to put the samples in a lossless format
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
it maybe a good idea to put the samples in a lossless format

The samples are just in raw wav format (lossless by many standards).  It is possible that one or more of them has been encoded and then decoded by a lossy process.

Reply #3
The samples are just in raw wav format (lossless by many standards).  It is possible that one or more of them has been encoded and then decoded by a lossy process.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278790"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of course WAV (note: I'm assuming PCM) is lossless, its totally uncompressed.  A_Man_Eating_Duck was trying to recommend that you upload loosslessly compressed files instead of raw PCM to save HA bandwidth and save many users download time.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #4
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278790"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of course WAV (note: I'm assuming PCM) is lossless, its totally uncompressed.  A_Man_Eating_Duck was trying to recommend that you upload losslessly compressed files instead of raw PCM to save HA bandwidth and save many users download time.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278791"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yeah thats what i mean.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #5
Three files are not enough. You won't be able to draw any conclusions if someone identifies them all. There are two possible answers per file, like in an ABX test.
Thus 5 files at least are necessary to get some statistical meaning if one people answers. 8 files would be better. Good statistical accuracy if all are properly identified, and still some meaning if only 7 are properly recognized.
However, you have to divide the statistical meaning by the number of answers you'll got, if you analyse several answers at once.

If you analyse the results as and when they are posted, the statistical meaning is even smaller, because people will tend to stop posting answers as soon as a meaningful result appears. How much less is very difficult to calculate.

Reply #6

File A

File B

File C
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278785"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know you say it is for fun, but besides that?  It is stipulated in the documentation of WavPack that @ 320 kbps you reach a point where you will have a hard time to ABX the original with the lossy version.  @ 384 kbps you practically can't ABX anymore (I bet 1M$ guruboolez can't (maybe I souldn't have said that.  ).  The doc also says that below 256 kbps you should hear noise artifacts (hiss).  So what's the point of ABXing @ 240 kbps ?!

Radetz