Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to convince people to stop MP3 myths (Read 62810 times) previous topic - next topic

How to convince people to stop MP3 myths

Reply #25
I once read that exposure to low quality lossy encodings can cause cumulative hearing loss and tinnitus. While I can not say if that is true, I prefer to err or the side of caution.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277443"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't exist scientific evidence that supports this.. (or at least credible).

This is another new myth that we can add to the list. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277463"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Long exposure to any kind of loud sound will degrade your hearing. But this has nothing to do with lossy encoding. But this guy is obviously a troll.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #26
Long exposure to any kind of loud sound will degrade your hearing. But this has nothing to do with lossy encoding. But this guy is obviously a troll.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277470"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, I reread the thread title and the post again just now, and it looks like it was a joke that did a Mach 5 over my head. I feel embarassed now for such a lack of sense of humour.

Sorry Bennyp!

Reply #27
/ignore

Thats what I do these days no point arguing or stressing over it IMHO. Also I ain't fussy anymore when it comes to quality as long as it inaudibile when I listen to it I don't really care, music for me is to keep the silence away not to critic it. Sometimes I wonder why I purchased my Sennheiser headphones .

About that post about lossy encoding damaging your ears I think that a load of crock there are plenty of other stimuli that comes from other sound sources that aren't lossy so you still get the full spectrum of sound. I would imagine you would have to listen to lossy encoding over a very long time to get some sort of symptoms, but then again if you do everything in moderation nothing bad really comes from it.

Regards
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Reply #28
Decoding mp3 to wav gives the music better quality, because wav is better than mp3.

I've met this quite a few times, this is a level of knowledge that's quite common among "normal" people, lot's of them highly educated and long time computer users, only very very few have even heard of "joint stereo" so they can worry about it. Actually most people find 64 kbps CBR mp3 to be of acceptable quality.

Well, just encode your own music with something useful....
(mppenc --quality 6.00 here)
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #29
Hello everyone,

I would not give a favorable or unfavorable opinion on the question of the format mp3. 
Remind yourselves when it came out of the boxs, one was not unhappy of its arrival.It marked a lot of mind, and is made itself know all. 
Nowadays it stays" inescapable", contrary to the Divx that disappears little by little. 

Nevertheless other formats saw the day with more and more appreciated other resonant colors. what is the present case: AAC, Plop, Ogg, Mpc, Ape and well of others. 

Every format finds its place in the daily, the experts, the beginners and the hopeless. 
So are understanding towards others. 
It is only my opinion, but I share yours. 

Bye.

Reply #30
just remembered the saying

"100 lemmings cant be wrong!" 
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #31
See, the problem you're having is that you are a rational person.  As such, you expect people to respond to rational reasoning.  These people have superior brains that are capable of many kinds of thinking that you can't even comprehend.  Their minds are actually capable of constructing arguments that affirm their preconceptions completely circumventing any inconvienient facts.  They can produce a thought arc that goes around and "short-circuts" any argument you could produce.  You are unable to percieve this arc because it lies outside the realm of the rational.  Indeed, it may well reside in some sort of alternate universe that these lucky individuals have tapped into.

So, feel not frustration or pity, and instead fell shame and envy; your brain just isn't as good.
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
http://www.phong.org/

Reply #32
IMHO, it is now impossible to dispel the JS-myth on a large scale.

The only solution is disabling the switch completely in LAME.

Or to have user interfaces similar to this one:
http://lame.sourceforge.net/lame_ui_example.html
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rather like this: [a href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/LAME/lamedropXPd2-3.97a7.zip]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/LAME/...XPd2-3.97a7.zip[/url]? A proposed version of lamedropXPd for the next releases of LAME.

Reply #33
5) VBR thing is bad, CBR is a lot better. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277281"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This one is actually kinda true.

CBR (320K/-api) is the VERY best LAME has to offer. It is overkill though, and it is not like I can hear a difference (my transparency thresold is about 160k in LAME)

he probably means something on the lines CBR192 is better than VBR preset standard

Reply #34
See, the problem you're having is that you are a rational person.  As such, you expect people to respond to rational reasoning.  These people have superior brains that are capable of many kinds of thinking that you can't even comprehend.  Their minds are actually capable of constructing arguments that affirm their preconceptions completely circumventing any inconvienient facts.  They can produce a thought arc that goes around and "short-circuts" any argument you could produce.  You are unable to percieve this arc because it lies outside the realm of the rational.  Indeed, it may well reside in some sort of alternate universe that these lucky individuals have tapped into.

So, feel not frustration or pity, and instead fell shame and envy; your brain just isn't as good.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277881"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LOL!
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #35
5) VBR thing is bad, CBR is a lot better. 

This one is actually kinda true.

CBR (320K/-api) is the VERY best LAME has to offer. It is overkill though, and it is not like I can hear a difference (my transparency thresold is about 160k in LAME)

Although you will not catch me dead telling that to my friends or anyone else.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277466"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Could you please read very carefully my post?

I am not talking in specify of the case of -api; I am talking that in GENERAL many people believe that VBR is bad, and as consequence of this bad MYTH they encoded in CBR all the time,  because they really believe that the VBR routines destroys the music.

Many threads here in HA that confirm the superiority of the VBR routines in LAME in comparison with CBR. Of course; -api setting is a exception.

Reply #36
Rather like this: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/LAME/...XPd2-3.97a7.zip? A proposed version of lamedropXPd for the next releases of LAME.

Don't know, I do not see anything. I launch it, the process is here, but I do not see any visual interface...

Reply #37
Rather like this: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/LAME/...XPd2-3.97a7.zip? A proposed version of lamedropXPd for the next releases of LAME.

Don't know, I do not see anything. I launch it, the process is here, but I do not see any visual interface...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277968"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right mouse click over the box for the menu.

Reply #38
I remember when I was first introduced to VBR and I heavily used EncSpot, I discriminated against it because it bothered me that the bitrate would jump around; it felt very buggy  looking back at it is quite comical

Reply #39
particularly, the myths that I more hate are these:

1) 128 CBR kbps mp3 is CD quality  :sick:

2) Joint stereo is bad, because destroys all the stereo information. :ermm:

3) Simple stereo is the best choice, because preserve all the stereo information. :sick:

4) mp3 never is or will be transparent. :angry:

5) VBR thing is bad, CBR is a lot better. :angry:

6) 192 CBR kbps mp3 in simple stereo mode is the best solution for archival quality. :angry:

7) Fhg is the best mp3 encoder. :angry:

All these myths come from the ignorance. I try to convince to my friends that they are wrong, but; it's impossible  :cry:

mp3 is not transparent. How can it be when certain people can detect differences between 320 mp3 and the original?

I can in some cds detect differences between 320 and original, and i used to believe 128 was cd quality. 
So it is all subjective..

Reply #40
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277988"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What box, good sire?

I ran it here at my PC. There is no indication of it anywhere other than at the task manager. No drag-n-drop window, no icon at the system tray or the taskbar... nothing.

Win2k / AMD Sempron 2500 / 768M RAM

Reply #41
mp3 is not transparent.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277993"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MP3 CAN BE transparent. Claiming a lossy format is or is not transparent makes no sense. It depends on the sample you're testing, your hearing, your equipment, the encoding parameters...

Reply #42
IMHO, it is now impossible to dispel the JS-myth on a large scale.

The only solution is disabling the switch completely in LAME.

- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277262"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is there any reason we would ever really need simple stereo since Lame JS doesn't destroy stereo?

If no one can think of a good reason, maybe it should be taken out of Lame, or at least taken out of the --longhelp and removed from the docs. What do you think?

Reply #43
Is there any reason we would ever really need simple stereo since Lame JS doesn't destroy stereo?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278022"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hrm... multilanguage content?

Reply #44

What box, good sire?

I ran it here at my PC. There is no indication of it anywhere other than at the task manager. No drag-n-drop window, no icon at the system tray or the taskbar... nothing.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277996"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perhaps it's only for XP, hence its moniker.

It worked fine on my XP box at the office, but no GUI appears on my Win2k box here at home.

Reply #45
heh, kinda funny....  i actually last week i had to do an "informative speech" for my speech class, and i did it on "music encoding," trying to fix some of this ignorance.  it was fun... i dont know if anyone followed it, but at least i tried... 
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Reply #46
Is there any reason we would ever really need simple stereo since Lame JS doesn't destroy stereo?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278022"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278025"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, I don't understand.

Reply #47
Is there any reason we would ever really need simple stereo since Lame JS doesn't destroy stereo?[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278025"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, I don't understand.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278065"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sometimes another language of a program is put in the other channel.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Discussion about Joint Stereo quality split [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=31963]here[/url].
- the moderation
[/span]
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

Reply #48

What box, good sire?

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277996"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Really!!!!  How utterly bizarre. It works fine here, otherwise I wouldn't have linked to it. 

I'll check the compile options, etc., but I didn't change any of those from the previous version!!

Reply #49

Which box?