Skip to main content
Topic: %album Artist% (Read 21454 times) previous topic - next topic

%album Artist%

Reply #25
2. all track-artists into a single artist-field (like what dev0 and i proposed)
Feels someway correct because the artists are where they belong. Its DB-friendly. But as upnorth pointed out, it can result in strange things when looking at the DB in a tree-view and it doesn't look good in albumviews with albums which are not V.A.

- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273843"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

voted 2

%album Artist%

Reply #26
Have %album artist% ALBUM ARTIST become like a "standard" now? Is it in that way the community endorse this field?
Because when I started using it it was a different version of this field floating around; %albumartist% ALBUMARTIST - and that is what I have been using, and what all my va albums now have; also my playlistformattingstrings, diskwriterstring etc. My usual tag for va albums are ALBUMARTIST=Various
I might be oldschool, but I don't think spaces belong in a tagfield at all (meaning the field itself, not it's value). But if the %album artist% way of doing this goes global, I might have to make a masstaggerscript.......   
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

%album Artist%

Reply #27
As far as i know, its the format which the majority of users use now.

Also, we're not declaring martial-law on this. "Standard" in this context means: its THE method which is recommended to users, and the method which is encouraged to be supported by all formatting-string and plugin-authors. If you read between the lines, then this means that devs are still free to support _additional_ methods of describing VAs - its just the one method which is officially recommended and hopefully supported by the majority of formattings and plugins. It's about having a method which users can use and be sure that its supported when they switch formattings and plugins.

Users are free to still tag however they like to - but then they will be in the situation which is the current. So, it's not about making it worse for people who don't use the standard - its about making it better for people who use it.

Sidenote: a masstagger-script would be very easy to create, and will probably be provided in public IF the final word falls that %album artist% becomes the VA-standard. The only problem for users would be tracks on readonly-media like CDRs.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

%album Artist%

Reply #28
So, it's not about making it worse for people who don't use the standard - its about making it better for people who use it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273924"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

%album Artist%

Reply #29
Among the following solutions, which one would you prefer? Is there any additional way you could think of?

(redundant information: ALBUM = Dangerously in Love, TRACKNUMBER = 01)

ARTIST = Beyoncé
TITLE = Crazy in Love (feat. Jay-Z)

ARTIST = Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z
TITLE = Crazy in Love

ARTIST = Beyoncé
TRACK ARTIST = Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z
TITLE = Crazy in Love

ALBUM ARTIST = Beyoncé
ARTIST = Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z
TITLE = Crazy in Love

ARTIST = Beyoncé
ARTIST (FEAT.) = Jay-Z
TITLE = Crazy in Love
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273768"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use this:
ARTIST = Beyoncé
FEATURING ARTIST = Jay-Z
TITLE = Crazy in Love

%album Artist%

Reply #30
While we're on the subject of tags I have a question.

Most of my music is from my own CD collection, but I've got a few tracks that G. Love & Special Sauce made available on their site, since they're a "trade-friendly" band. These tracks have the date and location of the show in the album field. This doesn't bother me either way, but I'm wondering how the live music traders tag these things. Is there a standard?

edit: and what's a good sort string to incorporate the album artist tag?

%album Artist%

Reply #31
edit: and what's a good sort string to incorporate the album artist tag?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=274216"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Just replace %artist% with $if2(%album artist%,%artist%) in any (album based) sort string.

%album Artist%

Reply #32
While we're on the subject of tags I have a question.

Most of my music is from my own CD collection, but I've got a few tracks that G. Love & Special Sauce made available on their site, since they're a "trade-friendly" band. These tracks have the date and location of the show in the album field. This doesn't bother me either way, but I'm wondering how the live music traders tag these things. Is there a standard?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=274216"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, there is. The %venue%-tag usually contains the location, and the date-tag the date. Almost the entire "taping"-scene uses this format.

But IMHO there's nothing speaking against using the album-tag for it.

One advantage using the venue-tag would be that with many single live tracks, you could put the location into the venue-tag, and then just add something like "G. Love & Special Sauce - Live" into the album tag - if the album-tag would always be the same for such live-shows, then that would be handy for sorting.

- Lyx

%album Artist%

Reply #33
Thanks for the info, Lyx.

Yes, there is. The %venue%-tag usually contains the location, and the date-tag the date. Almost the entire "taping"-scene uses this format.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=274236"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What format do people usually use for the date itself? As I found them on the site, they are tagged yyyy-mm-dd or yyyy-dd-mm (I'm not sure of the month-day thing since none of them are on days above 12).

%album Artist%

Reply #34
Hmm, good question - i'm not sure. Someone else may be able to help more here. But one thing to think about: most displays (not just formatting-strings) are geared towards the date being very short (usually just 4 chars, but a good display should handle a bit more). So, while i'm not knowledgeable enough in that department to propose you what dateformat to use, i can say what you should avoid, because it will look ugly in the majority of displays: don't use formats like "August 15, 2003".... but more something like what you mentioned (i.e. yyyy-mm-dd). I'd propose to not use yyyy-dd-mm, because then you can forget sorting completely unless you create your own personal sort-string.

- Lyx

%album Artist%

Reply #35
It's strongly recommended to use iso 8601 for all date/time information and actually part of the APEv2 specification
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

%album Artist%

Reply #36
i just set the %varoius% tag to 1

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019