Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Crackling Sound In Foobar (Read 2875 times) previous topic - next topic

Crackling Sound In Foobar

I've been using foobar for more than a year and never had any problems with it. But a few weeks ago, I noticed some crackles when playing mp3 files in foobar. It is not very loud and it occurs at irregular intervals, so maybe I just haven't noticed it before. But now that I have noticed it, it gets more annoying every day (more annoying, not louder or more intense or more frequent). First I thought  it was a problem of my hifi cables, since the crackles sound a little bit like the noise that occurs, when plugging in an audio connector (but not as loud). But I checked all the cable connections  with no effect on that crackling noises.
When I tried playing an mp3 file in ZoomPlayer (a movie player that uses ffdshow audio decoder to play mp3 files), the annoying crackles were completely gone.  I compared the sound from foobar with the sound from zoomplayer several times with several mp3 files, and the crackles are only noticeable in foobar.
I really like foobar and I want to continue using it, but I have no idea where to start looking for the cause of the problem.
I would really appreciate any comments or recommendations on what I can do about this problem.

Thank you very much.

Reply #1
Just to be sure, is this crackling specific to MP3 files or does it also happen with Musepack, Vorbis, or any other format?

Reply #2
Just to be sure, is this crackling specific to MP3 files or does it also happen with Musepack, Vorbis, or any other format?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273708"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure yet. First glimpse: seems to be gone in mpc, ogg and ape (if not completely gone then at least less annoying) 
Usually I don't use other formats than mp3 for hardware compatibility reasons, but I will  check wav, mpc, ogg and ape and will report as soon as possible.