Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Parchive (Read 31994 times) previous topic - next topic

Parchive

Reply #25
As for DVDDecrypter there is still the problem that it supports only dvd video discs, isn't it?

No, DVD Decrypter can read any type of DVD in ISO mode not just DVD video's.

Parchive

Reply #26
No! No! No! I was wrong! I just rechecked the link that liekloo mentioned and it seems that QuickPar can handle damaged files even if some bytes are missing! I am really impressed! I tested that myself and it works.

Parchive

Reply #27
No! No! No! I was wrong! I just rechecked the link that liekloo mentioned and it seems that QuickPar can handle damaged files even if some bytes are missing! I am really impressed! I tested that myself and it works.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270505"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well that's good to know. Then here is the final method I plan on using for creating & recovering a DVD back-up with PAR:
  • Create an ISO file containing files to be backed-up
  • Create PAR recovery files based on the ISO
  • Burn the ISO
  • Burn the PAR files
  • If corruption occurs extract the corrupt ISO with DVD Decrypter
  • Copy PAR files to same directory & begin recovery

Parchive

Reply #28
Well that's good to know. Then here is the final method I plan on using for creating & recovering a DVD back-up with PAR:
  • Create an ISO file containing files to be backed-up
  • Burn the ISO
  • Burn the PAR files

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270526"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's ok, but be sure if the first ISO to burn, and the extracted ISO is same format. It's seems for me that Nero ISO format has some difference with ISObuster ISO format. I checked, and MD5 checksums was different.

Parchive

Reply #29
Yes, I read on the QuickPAR forums that not all programs make identical ISO files.
So we will have to first burn, then extract ISO, then create PAR2s.

Parchive

Reply #30
using burnatonce to compile and burn the ISO and isobuster to extract it you get identical MD5s... at least with CD-Rs I get this results...

Be sure you use the extract user data option in isobuster.

Don't know if this is the case for DVDs...

Parchive

Reply #31
If we discuss Isobuster, what's the difference between "Extract CD Content" and "Extract CD Image"?

Also, what is the .tao format (Isobuster always wants to save image into that format)? It seems for me it is same as .iso, because if I simply rename .tao to .iso, that MD5 is same with ISO of DVDDecrypter.

Parchive

Reply #32
Just a note.. Given the limitations of QuickPar, here's how I'd do it:

1. Take all the files you want to burn.
2. Run QuickPar or whatever to create a single PAR2 file from *all* of the files you're going to burn, with a whole lot of blocks in it. As many as you feel safe with.
3. Burn those files plus the single PAR2 file to the disk.

If the disk fails, then:
a) Copy off as many of the files as you can still read, and if you can get partial files then so much the better.
b) Make as good of an ISO of the disc as you can (doesn't matter if you drop data or zero it, QuickPar can cope with either), and rename the ISO to PAR2.
c) Run Quickpar and feed it that "PAR2" to recover the set.

Seems like it should work fine to me. Unless I'm missing something.

Parchive

Reply #33
If the disk fails, then:
a) Copy off as many of the files as you can still read, and if you can get partial files then so much the better.
b) Make as good of an ISO of the disc as you can (doesn't matter if you drop data or zero it, QuickPar can cope with either), and rename the ISO to PAR2.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270995"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't see why doing both a & b? Only one of them is necessary. And why renaming iso to par2?

If i followed your scheme then in case of disc failure i would just make an iso and try to copy from the damaged disc any of par2 files. Then i would open the par2 file and feed the iso to QuickPar.

Parchive

Reply #34
If the disk fails, then:

I can't see why doing both a & b? Only one of them is necessary. And why renaming iso to par2?

If i followed your scheme then in case of disc failure i would just make an iso and try to copy from the damaged disc any of par2 files. Then i would open the par2 file and feed the iso to QuickPar.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271033"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think we now have the definitive method which I listed above, only with the modification of extracting in ISO mode with DVD Decrypter (or the program you plan on restoring the ISO with) & creating PAR files based on that, maybe even burn the PAR files with a copy of the program.

Anyone now see any potential problems with this method?

Parchive

Reply #35
I think we now have the definitive method which I listed above, only with the modification of extracting in ISO mode with DVD Decrypter (or the program you plan on restoring the ISO with) & creating PAR files based on that.

Anyone now see any potential problems with this method?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271043"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's fine and I've started using it.
However your original idea (create ISO before burning) is worth further investigation:
* Create an ISO file containing files to be backed-up
* Create PAR recovery files based on the ISO
* Burn the ISO

Which would avoid ripping the DVD to ISO. I didn't even know this possibility existed.

here's how I'd do it:

1. Take all the files you want to burn.
2. Run QuickPar or whatever to create a single PAR2 file from *all* of the files you're going to burn, with a whole lot of blocks in it. As many as you feel safe with.
3. Burn those files plus the single PAR2 file to the disk.

Directories. Quickpar doesn't support subdirectories (yet), so you'll have to place all files in the root of the CD (DVD). If that's not a problem, this method is ideal.

If the disk fails, then:

a is easiest; if a fails you do b. That's what he means.
Renaming a duplicate of the ISO to *.par2 will make Quickpar consider this file as a par2 file and it will find the real par2 recovery set in it (limitation: it will find only one set).

Parchive

Reply #36
Directories. Quickpar doesn't support subdirectories (yet), so you'll have to place all files in the root of the CD (DVD). If that's not a problem, this method is ideal.

Yes quickpar doesn't support subdirectories but this is not a problem. You can create your own directory structure any way you like it. The you do a *.* search and drag all the results into quickpar. You create the par2 files and burn them in whatever directory you like with the rest of the files. In case of disc failure you copy any of the par2 files to your hard disk and then make an iso. Double-click the par2 file, select 'Add' button to add the iso and you're done! The lack of subdirectories support is no problem.

Parchive

Reply #37
I remember reading once in the QuickPar forums (one of the threads) that instead of creating Par2 files per album one should RAR the entire album together (or use matroska etc.) and then PAR2 them.

If someone could shed some light on this issue I'd be delighted: Is it better to PAR2 10 times for 10 albums or PAR2 once the 10 RAR files corresponding to each album? I think the more the amount of data that is PARred the better it becomes in recovery.

Also is there any known tools for MFT (master file table) backup? I recently had to go through a lot of trouble to recover the data from an almost full 300GB drive whose MFT is corrupted.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Parchive

Reply #38
If someone could shed some light on this issue I'd be delighted: Is it better to PAR2 10 times for 10 albums or PAR2 once the 10 RAR files corresponding to each album? I think the more the amount of data that is PARred the better it becomes in recovery.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271256"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Assume that you have two files, A and B, 10 MB each and you create a 2 MB par2 file for each. Then if 3 MB of A are damaged you won't be able to do the recovery since you won't have enough recovery data (you need 3 MB but you have 2 MB). On the contrary, if you had created a 4 MB par2 file for A+B then you would have been able to perform the recovery process.

So the answer to your question is: par2 once.

Parchive

Reply #39
Hi, I wanted to know if there is a par generation tool that you can input a root directory to & will create PAR recovery volumes for each subdirectory contained.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use a program created by member "bodhy" a year ago.  Go to this thread for details.....I'm not sure if this program can be found anywhere, but I use it all the time and it does exactly what you're asking.

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18456&hl=]Thread 18456[/url]

Here's my method of backing up CD's to DVD-R.  I'm sure it's outdated, but I don't really care:

1.  Rip CD's and convert to FLAC files.
2.  Sort CD's in folders based on my personal preferrence.
3.  Create a single par2 recovery file for each CD using a 10% redundancy.
4.  WinRAR the FLAC and PAR2 files using "store" compression method and 1% recovery data.
5.  Burn *.rar files on DVD-R.

In all my years of burning CD-R and DVD-R, I've never had one go bad, nor have I ever had the need to use par2 files to recovery anything.  The only time par2 files seem to be of any use is when I'm in the newgroups and a downloaded binary is corrupt or incomplete.  This whole process of adding par2 files to DVD-R is probably non-sense and a waste of space in the long-run.  The liklihood of ever needing them is probably not worth the time, effort, and space.  JMHO.

Daffy

Parchive

Reply #40
Hi, I wanted to know if there is a par generation tool that you can input a root directory to & will create PAR recovery volumes for each subdirectory contained.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use a program created by member "bodhy" a year ago.  Go to this thread for details.....I'm not sure if this program can be found anywhere, but I use it all the time and it does exactly what you're asking.

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18456&hl=]Thread 18456[/url]

Here's my method of backing up CD's to DVD-R.  I'm sure it's outdated, but I don't really care:

4.  WinRAR the FLAC and PAR2 files using "store" compression method and 1% recovery data.

In all my years of burning CD-R and DVD-R, I've never had one go bad, nor have I ever had the need to use par2 files to recovery anything.  The only time par2 files seem to be of any use is when I'm in the newgroups and a downloaded binary is corrupt or incomplete.  This whole process of adding par2 files to DVD-R is probably non-sense and a waste of space in the long-run.  The liklihood of ever needing them is probably not worth the time, effort, and space.  JMHO.

Daffy
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271267"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's great Daffy, exactly what I originally asked for but I am now convinced that the method Ollie originally suggested in this thread would offer better protection because the PAR files would be stored on a different medium it's less likely they  will also become corrupt. Also you only ever have to extract & recover 1 file which seems more convenient to me.

I think Liekloo, geopoul, & myself can all agree that if you want to create PAR files based on an ISO you should go thorugh the steps listed below:
  • Burn the data to be backed-up on DVD-R
  • Extract the data with DVD Decrypter in ISO mode
  • Burn the PAR files with a copy of DVD Decrypter on CD-R

Parchive

Reply #41
can somebody explain in easy words, why an ISO (or the work for it) is necessary for the process of creatring par2-recevery data at the begin ?

What is exactly the advantage of creating isos ?

Let's go through the process, if a dvd should fail:

you need to extract as much files & data as possible from the damaged dvd, even damaged files partly.

DVDdecryptor was mentioned,
can that program extract directories and (damaged) files
(and fill up damaged data with zeros, if that should be necessary ?) ?

So, if u have the iso, or all files extracted, the re-creating of damaged files should be the same ?

1 thing is unclear to me about quickpar-gui proggie for creating par2 recovery data:

imagine, you make the effort, and add each single sub-directory content of the dvd to the quickpar-gui (instead of the iso).

are the pathes of the files of any meaning ?
or would the result be the same, like you would copy all single files (assuming all files have different name) to 1 huge directory, and add this 1 directory to quickpar-gui ?

Parchive

Reply #42
I think Liekloo, geopoul, & myself can all agree that if you want to create PAR files based on an ISO you should go thorugh the steps listed below:

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also begin to agree, that this is the best method to archive.

I've re-read that thread what Daffy suggested:
[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18456&hl=]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....topic=18456&hl=[/url]

What is interesting: PeterBClements created a utility, which could extract several PAR2 sets from an ISO! If that is true, it would be possible to store several PAR2 sets on one disc, perhaps on DVD (not CD). And if that PAR2 disc get damaged, we could extract not only one PAR2 set, but all!

As far as I know, that utility is not published yet. I think it's time to ask Peter at Quickpar Forum. That posts was a year ago.

Parchive

Reply #43
can somebody explain in easy words, why an ISO (or the work for it) is necessary ?

Well, there are some advantages:
- If there is only one par2 set for a DVD, the effect of the par2 set is distributed on the disk.
- If the Disc Layout (same as TOC in CDs) get damaged, you can only extract to ISO, not folders and files.
- Currently Quickpar doesn't support directories, but when using ISO method, it doesn't matter.

No, DVD Decrypter is not able to extract directories and files (if not DVD-Video). It only can extract to ISO. And it can't fill data with zeros, but is not necessary.

So, if u have the iso, or all files extracted, the re-creating of damaged files should be the same ?

If you can recover the whole ISO, you get everything back.

1 thing is unclear to me about quickpar-gui proggie for creating par2 recovery data:

imagine, you make the effort, and add each single sub-directory content of the dvd to the quickpar-gui (instead of the iso).

or would the result be the same, like you would copy all single files (assuming all files have different name) to 1 huge directory, and add this 1 directory to quickpar-gui ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271315"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's good question, it's also unclear to me.

Parchive

Reply #44
can somebody explain in easy words, why an ISO (or the work for it) is necessary ?

Well, there are some advantages:
- If there is only one par2 set for a DVD, the effect of the par2 set is distributed on the disk.
- If the Disc Layout (same as TOC in CDs) get damaged, you can only extract to ISO, not folders and files.
- Currently Quickpar doesn't support directories, but when using ISO method, it doesn't matter.

No, DVD Decrypter is not able to extract directories and files (if not DVD-Video). It only can extract to ISO. And it can't fill data with zeros, but is not necessary.

If you can recover the whole ISO, you get everything back.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271315"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's good question, it's also unclear to me.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271326"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks your your reply, it helps to sort things

of course, it is very clear, that we all want to create only 1 set of par2 data for the whole medium, eg. DVD 4.35 GB.

2.1 easy method, if all files in various subdirectories have different names:
extract all files by search for *.* and move them to a temp directory, which you could add to Quickpar gui, and you are done.

2.1.2 eg., in each subdirectory, there are files with same file name.
Possibility: add each subdirectory in quickpar gui manually.
well, for ca. 10-15 Loslsess albums on 1 DVD, this could be still be possible, but not very convenient, imagine, you don't want to backup audio, but hundred small directories with various data files.

2.2: alternative: make an iso file, burn it, make the pa2 data for the iso file

3. bad case, you need the par2 data, as dvd is corrupted, maybe even the TOC.

3.1 extract the iso of the dvd, eg. by DVDdecryptor.

3.2: Can you then copy all directories and files from the extracted and mounted (Daemon tool) iso to your HD eg., so that you could start par2-recovery,
even if you created the par2 data for all *.* files (2.1) of the dvd or for all files by subdirectories of the entire dvd (2.1.2) ?

I would want to avoid the iso creation at the beginning, as that seems an extra step (even with a lot HD stress/time for copying/moving 4.35 GB data), which could be unnecessary, if 2.1/2.1.2 work.

Parchive

Reply #45

Yes quickpar doesn't support subdirectories but this is not a problem. You can create your own directory structure any way you like it. The you do a *.* search and drag all the results into quickpar. You create the par2 files and burn them in whatever directory you like with the rest of the files. In case of disc failure you copy any of the par2 files to your hard disk and then make an iso. Double-click the par2 file, select 'Add' button to add the iso and you're done! The lack of subdirectories support is no problem.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271242"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried it and it works! A bit unexpected, because I expected the paths would make recovery impossible, but that worry appears to be unjustified). Thanks for pointing this out, geopaul.
This makes it a good alternative to Westgroveg's method above. Pro: no ISO extraction needed (initially). Con: during recovery, only files are recovered (no directories).

The main advantage is being able to extract partially damaged files. Windows explorer refuses to copy damaged files, so that there is a lot more data missing (you need much more recovery data).

yes the results would be the same (the current quickpar doesn't use paths).

Parchive

Reply #46
2.1 easy method, if all files in various subdirectories have different names:
extract all files by search for *.* and move them to a temp directory, which you could add to Quickpar gui, and you are done.

No need to move, just search, rightclick, run Quickpar. See for yourself

Parchive

Reply #47

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271242"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried it and it works! A bit unexpected, because I expected the paths would make recovery impossible, but that worry appears to be unjustified). Thanks for pointing this out, geopaul.
This makes it a good alternative to Westgroveg's method above. Pro: no ISO extraction needed (initially). Con: during recovery, only files are recovered (no directories).

yes the results would be the same (the current quickpar doesn't use paths).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271332"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes, this sounds very good, no iso creation needed for creation par2 creation.

Liekloo:
The main advantage is being able to extract partially damaged files. Windows explorer refuses to copy damaged files, so that there is a lot more data missing (you need much more recovery data).

sorry, misunderstanding,
I asked about iso creation at the very begin before par2 data creation.
That it is better in worst case, to extract an iso of the damaged DVD, that should be clear now.
But now, it seems to be clear also, that for the creation of the par2 data set for the entire DVD, no iso is needed.
(either you make 2.1, or 2.1.2)

Parchive

Reply #48

Wait a minute! Are you saying, that when par2 set is created from files themself (from all files on DVD), and then you extract DVD to an ISO, and feed Quickpar with that ISO, does Quickpar recover files?

Parchive

Reply #49
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Daffy
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271267"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's great Daffy, exactly what I originally asked for but I am now convinced that the method Ollie originally suggested in this thread would offer better protection because the PAR files would be stored on a different medium it's less likely they  will also become corrupt. Also you only ever have to extract & recover 1 file which seems more convenient to me.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=271276"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This seems like a lot of work and use of media just to store data/audio on DVD-R.  I would think that technology changes would render this process obsolete before you would ever need to use the PAR recovery files.  That assumes, however, you use high quality DVD-R and protect your media from the elements of danger (dogs, kids, harsh weather conditions, excessive handling, etc.).

However, contrary to my opinion, if this level of protection is necessary and desired I like this approach.  What settings would you use for the creation of the PAR file?  I would think the block size would be a very large multiple of 2048 since you plan on using the entire CD-R to burn the PAR file and your source file is a ~ 4.5mb *.iso file.  Also, if you use 700mb CD-R a 15% redundancy level can be used (700/4500).  Finally, for extra protection you can buy dual DVD cases (or dual CD cases if you need the space) and keep both the DVD-R back-up and CD-R recovery disc together.  All you would have to do then is wait for some type of corruption to set in to see if it was worth the effort.....oops, there I go again.