Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: temporary(possibly) new Rare Wares mirror (Read 3323 times) previous topic - next topic

temporary(possibly) new Rare Wares mirror

A year has passed and freenet has grown up a bit. I have gotten back into playing with it a bit and was wanting to play with posting a website to it. Mine was to large and dynamic so it was a no go. Then I thought of Roberto. His site is small and fairly static. And the contents could not be hosted in most countries do to many companies unwillingness to alow free opensource implimentations that borrow from their intelectual property. Even if the companies are not hurt by and only stand to benefit from such software. Sounded like a perfect candidate to me.

For those of you who don't know freenet is a peer to peer network system. But unlike the networks made popular by file trading no one hosts a file. Not in the traditional sense. And you never download from a specific person. You won't know the owner of a file or where a file is comming from. Each participant shares bandwidth and a bit of disk space in which files are cached. The more popular a file is the more it will be cached the faster the file will load and the easier it will be to find the file. On freenet you don't pay for storrage or bandwidth. The network itself provides that. You can read more in depth here -> http://freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Main/WebHome

If you all approve let me know. And if you all want to help out get freenet running and request this key once in a while SSK@R6LNCVKQchhrrmXFDLaQIW4ZnJsPAgM/Rare_Wares// If you all are on broadband and have systems that run almost perpetually you might consider running a full time node. Especially if you have a spare PC lying around like myself. Freenet is for everyone and everyone can use it. You can even put your MPC collection up anonymously and have it hosted even if you can't host it.

Reply #1
Great idea! I had a similar idea once, but left it untouched.

What I'm currently lokking at is GNUnet, which is more 'file-based' than freenet and under heavy development. ATM it is *nix only, but I guess this will change as soon it gains popularity.

My Freenet node will be up and running again the day RedHat 8.0 is released and i have stable Java development platform again.

<edit>
Did you mail that to one of the freenet devs already? They're always looking for good Freesites, which could help Freene losing its 'net of paedophiles' image and Rarewares fits just too well in Ian's visions of Freenet.
</edit>

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
That's very cool, Neo Neko.

Thanks a lot for the initiative.

<now let me see WTF is this freenet...  >

Reply #3
I was just there yesterday reading up, freenet is kinda complicated. I want to start my own, but notice that the files take forever to upload. What do you use and how would I go about making my own site? Any information you have, you should post.

Reply #4
I have not contacted the freenet devs just yet. As I said at this point I was testing software and how the pages would behave. There are problems that crept up with the first version I posted to freenet. The external links were unhandled. But by midnight GMT the corrected version should be proppagated.

It does seem as if there is an intrest though so once I get things tweaked and running smooth I will let the freenet devs know so we can start taking freenet back from the pedos.  The page loads quick from my 24/7 node  but I am gonna need you guys to help fill the freenet caches all over the net with it.

Reply #5
Originally posted by dreams
I was just there yesterday reading up, freenet is kinda complicated. I want to start my own, but notice that the files take forever to upload. What do you use and how would I go about making my own site? Any information you have, you should post.

Once you have java installed and the freenet client node up and running check the third-party tools page http://freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Main/Tools Once you have designed a small site you can use the freeweb tool for windows to easily upload the files. Yes it will take a while but once it is done or shortly there after you can turn your system off and people can still access it. Pretty nifty eh? Another thing. All external links should be in the form of "/__CHECKED__HTTP__http://hydrogenaudio.org" instead of just "http://hydrogenaudio.org".

Over all it is not to bad. It is a bit slow. But the more people that are on the faster it goes. Also check out frost. Nearly instant anonymous messaging over freenet.

Reply #6
Originally posted by Neo Neko
I am gonna need you guys to help fill the freenet caches all over the net with it.

Ok, but I will need guidelines.