Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: --scale vs. mp3gain (Read 12741 times) previous topic - next topic

--scale vs. mp3gain

Reply #25
Quote from: NeoRenegade,Dec 28 2004, 10:08 AM

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261751"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, it is not normalization — normalization is when you make the gain or the max peak value of a collection of songs the same; meaning you're applying a different gain to each file.
[/quote]

That would be peak normalization.  There is also RMS normalization.

On a different note, I may be wrong, but I always thought that --scale worked directly on the input prior to encoding.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

--scale vs. mp3gain

Reply #26

No, it is not normalization — normalization is when you make the gain or the max peak value of a collection of songs the same; meaning you're applying a different gain to each file.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261864"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On a different note, I may be wrong, but I always thought that --scale worked directly on the input prior to encoding.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262136"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

AFAIK you're right!
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

--scale vs. mp3gain

Reply #27

No, it is not normalization -- normalization is when you make the gain or the max peak value of a collection of songs the same; meaning you're applying a different gain to each file.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261864"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262136"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

AFAIK you're right!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262253"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So, to sum up, applying wavegain album does the same exact thing as passing
wavegain's scale value to Lame? Or only if you dither it to make it 24 bit?

--scale vs. mp3gain

Reply #28
The bad news: MP3Gain can only adjust the volume of your mp3 files in steps of 1.5 dB.
The good news: 1.5 dB is a small enough step for most practical purposes. Most humans can just barely hear a volume change of 1 dB.

I can't see why anyone would use --scale instead of mp3Gain. There are way too many advantages that mp3Gain offers and clearly makes up for that little 1.5 db tradeoff, which I don't consider a problem at all. The only purpose of --scale that I can see is for people that can't use mp3Gain or people that want to apply the same volume to all their files - no matter if it still clipps or not, and are not interested in AlbumGain or getting the max volume without clipping, and will never change the volume again...
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here's one reason to use --scale instead of (or along with) mp3gain:
I can hear increments of 0.5 dB or so, and yes, I can ABX them. Often, I am not satisfied with 1.5 dB increments, and where I am I will encode using --scale 0.917 (so, -0.75 dB) or scale 0.944 (-0.5 dB) or scale 0.891 (-1.0 dB). After this I use mp3gain like normal.
This is a fair bit of work, so I don't do it all that often, but it's useful if you're perfectionist and anal-retentive, which I sometimes am with mp3's.

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=33437&st=0&p=292506&#entry292506]Here's[/url] another post (thread worth reading, too) where I comment on more careful gain adjustment of mp3 files - when I compare them to my ideally gained mp3's, I'll often want increments of 0.5 dB or 0.75 dB.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

--scale vs. mp3gain

Reply #29
I'm sorry for this post, because I think that in this field there's nothing I can study more...
I've read the whole thread once again and I've seen Jojo's post which I missed before:
The only purpose of --scale that I can see is for people who want to get the max volume without clipping, and will never change the volume again...
That's exactly what I want to achieve!
Am I missing something, or is it possible to do it without that much work? 
I really don't think it is...
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."