Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problems with Philips and Hitachi (Read 2282 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems with Philips and Hitachi

1. I have problems with detecting read features in EAC with my Philips PCRW804 drive. Every time I start the test, the program freezes, and I therefore can't find out what is my drive capable of. I suppose it has Accurate Stream, C2 is not important cause I will leave the box unchecked, but does it caches audio data? The thing is that ripping is very slow, around 3x, and checking that box will make it even slower. So, i was wondering if someone could tell me if my drive caches audio. I found on some user database that it doesn't, but I wanna be sure. Thanks.

2. The second problem is connected with my Hitachi DVD GD-5000. It seems it's too sensitive for ripping (even for reading it had problems with some burned cheap cdrs). I tried to rip one almost new original cd, with few harmless scratches. I used copy image & create cue sheet, C2 was not enabled. Two times occured read error, and one time sync error. The same cd my Philips writer ripped without errors, with 100% quality. Comparing these two rips showed different samples on some places. So I think the problem is in sensitivity of Hitachi, or maybe in Philips (I did not check audio caching, and considering that I don't know for sure that it does not cache audio I can't eliminate that possibility).

So, is it better to rip with my Hitachi DVD, or Philips writer? The writer is very slow but it can read everything (but I'm not sure of audio caching) and DVD is 2-3 times faster, but unpredictable. And, can I be sure, with correct drive settings of course, when EAC shows in log 100% quality, that there are no errors in ripped wav? Thanks and sorry for asking so many questions.

Problems with Philips and Hitachi

Reply #1
I have the Hitatchi GD 7500, and IMO it is one of the best drives for ripping (maybe not the fastest, but averaging 10x isn't bad).  I don't know about the 5000, but mine is "sensitive" to the point that EAC says I may have errors, but on checking I never do.  So, my advice would be the hitatchi.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'