Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Eac to iTunes AAC (Read 25592 times) previous topic - next topic

Eac to iTunes AAC

I have been searching the forums for the last hour for the thread that details how to rip a CD with EAC and have the external encoder be iTunes 4.7 (QT) to create a perfectly tagged 1 step EAC rip to AAC. I cannot find it anywhere though I know I have seen it. Can someone post the link or detail how to set it up in EAC? Thanks.

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #2
Download this: http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iTunesEncode.zip

Read the readme file for a sample command line to use with EAC.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=257720"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quick question, didn't want to start new topic: do you know what interfaces were added (via typelib) in iTunes 4.7?  I had a modified iTunesEncode and wondered if there are useful improvements to implement.

+Reardon

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #3
Quick question, didn't want to start new topic: do you know what interfaces were added (via typelib) in iTunes 4.7?  I had a modified iTunesEncode and wondered if there are useful improvements to implement.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=257769"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure what you mean, entirely, but 4.7 added some new Convertfile calls that have a more useful return value. For one thing, it'll let you check on the progress of the conversion, thus eliminating the problem where messing with iTunes during the encode can cause the COM response to return prematurely. I'm working on putting that and some other minor fixes into iTunesEncode.exe now. If you want me to add anything else that it doesn't currently do, now's the time to mention it. It's easy enough to do since I'm screwing around with the code already.

Edit: Actually they added the ConvertFile2 call in iTunes 4.6, I just failed to notice. 4.7 didn't really add anything useful for iTunesEncode.

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #4
Okay.. Here's the updated version. This should give a progress report as iTunes is encoding the file. Also it should not be as prone to problems if you mess with the iTunes interface while encoding is happening. I added a LOT of error checking too. Basically every function is checked for errors and it might quit if it finds them instead of ignoring them like it did previously. This may cause problems or something, which is why I gave it a new file on my webpage.

http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iTunesEncode46.zip

Any other mods you want added? PM me and I'll add 'em in. Or post 'em over here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=29821

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #5
If you want me to add anything else that it doesn't currently do, now's the time to mention it. It's easy enough to do since I'm screwing around with the code already.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=257834"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Add images to files?  Browsing the interfaces it looks like this can be done.  I would like to use iTunesEncode as BOTH an encoder and as an external tagger (since foobar currently trashes any binary tags, like cover art (COVR) or the compilation (CPIL) tags.  I think those are the field names anyway.

+Reardon

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #6
I have been using Otto's work for a couple of weeks now and I must say it is terrific. iTunes crashes a fair amount, but overall - it is great. You just need to keep an eye on the rip in case it 'hangs' on a song.

On a related note, is there a similar application for Nero? I know one can use Foobar to compress WAVs to M4A via Nero but what about a direct rip from EAC that captures all the tag info?

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #8
Okay.. Here's the updated version. This should give a progress report as iTunes is encoding the file. Also it should not be as prone to problems if you mess with the iTunes interface while encoding is happening. I added a LOT of error checking too. Basically every function is checked for errors and it might quit if it finds them instead of ignoring them like it did previously. This may cause problems or something, which is why I gave it a new file on my webpage.

http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iTunesEncode46.zip

Any other mods you want added? PM me and I'll add 'em in. Or post 'em over here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=29821
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=257840"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Otto, do you happen to still have the older iTunesEncode, sans 46.  This version will "unexpectedly" close every now and then.  I was using the older version with no problems.

thanks
- FLAC/200GB external
- AAC 128 vbr/local
- iPod Nano 2G 8GB

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #9
Otto, do you happen to still have the older iTunesEncode, sans 46.  This version will "unexpectedly" close every now and then.  I was using the older version with no problems.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yah. That's one reason I gave it a different name.
Old: [a href="http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iTunesEncode.zip]http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iTunesEncode.zip[/url]
New: http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iTunesEncode46.zip

The new one works worlds better for me, as I can now click around in iTunes and do things while it's encoding without the CLI closing on me unexpectedly (it did that all the time with the old one for me).  But YMMV of course, use whichever works for you.

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #10
Is it possible to use iTunes encode with foobar2000's CLI?  Ive tried the following command line but with no luck:

-e "AAC Encoder" -i %s -o %d

I am trying to go from FLAC to AAC, but I want iTunes specifically to do the encoding

Thanks
- FLAC/200GB external
- AAC 128 vbr/local
- iPod Nano 2G 8GB

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #12
That command line should work with clienc.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262502"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Foobar seems to convert to wav ok, but then when itunesencode comes up, it thinks it's done and is trying to add tags to the wav.  That's when it crashes and closes.

I have iTunes already open, but nothing gets passed to it for encoding.

Any help is appreciated, but i can always  go FLAC -> WAV -> AAC.

Thanks

-edit-

My bad, Just fixed the problem.  I should have  selected "add new" from within clienc instead of copying a LAME one and built it from scratch.  Sometimes cutting corners ends up costing you more time.  Anyway, it works perfectly now!

Also, Otto the Read Me that comes with itunesencode has a small error.
"Suggested Foobar clienc config string (may need changes depending on your setup):
-e "AAC Encoder" -a "%artist%" -l "%album%" -t "%title%" -g "%genre%" -y %date% -n %track% -i %s -o %d"

for -n it should be %tracknumber%

Regardless, thanks for making such a great little program.
- FLAC/200GB external
- AAC 128 vbr/local
- iPod Nano 2G 8GB

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #13
I have been using iTunes encode for about 6 months now, and it’s great.  However there has been an issue that I have tried to get around but cannot.  After I have encoded the file in iTunes, it is added to the library, but the library is linked to the EAC titled file (i.e. ‘Ctemp577)4.m4a’) and not to the re-titled copy that is located in the destination folder that I specified during the EAC ripping process.  There are two copies of the file, both tagged, but with different titles.  The workaround I have been using is to use the ‘-d’ command in the command string (which deletes the EAC titled .M4A file, and then simply importing the real files manually.  Is there a way to have iTunes import only the re-titled file instead of the EAC titled file and have it deleted? Or is there something I am doing wrong to create this problem?
Thanks

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #14
I have been using iTunes encode for about 6 months now, and it’s great.  However there has been an issue that I have tried to get around but cannot.  After I have encoded the file in iTunes, it is added to the library, but the library is linked to the EAC titled file (i.e. ‘Ctemp577)4.m4a’) and not to the re-titled copy that is located in the destination folder that I specified during the EAC ripping process.  There are two copies of the file, both tagged, but with different titles.  The workaround I have been using is to use the ‘-d’ command in the command string (which deletes the EAC titled .M4A file, and then simply importing the real files manually.  Is there a way to have iTunes import only the re-titled file instead of the EAC titled file and have it deleted? Or is there something I am doing wrong to create this problem?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=263502"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, you're right. The -d command is there for that exact reason. Basically, when iTunes does the conversion, it'll add that file to its own library directory. If you leave off the -d command, then iTunesEncode will leave that file in existence after the encoding finishes.

If you use iTunes to manage your music and have "keep my files organized" turned on in iTunes, one way around this is to simply leave off the -o and -d commands entirely. I do it this way. Thus after ripping, EAC passes along the file to compress and tag, iTunes gets it, compresses it, tags it, and names it according to its own scheme and leaves it in the library.

In theory, I could add some code to delete the file from iTunes and reimport the copied file, but it seems a bit silly to do that since if you're using iTunes to manage the music you really should leave "keep my files organized" on in any case.

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #15
Hi,  I´m Gonzalo from Argentina,
First of all, congratulations Otto.

I have the same problem, only worse (I think!!!).  I used the -o and -d switch,  so as to manually import into itunes the correctly named file.  I don´t mind having to do that.

The problem is that itunes 4.7 simply will not import the file !!!
After I delete the temporary file from the library (either manually or with the -d switch),  I try to manually add the other file to the library and itunes will simply ignore it !

Any clue ? I just saw this yesterday, so tonight at home im gonna try again and see if I can figure out whats happening.

Thanks
Gonza

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #16
Make sure you don't have the settings in EAC to automatically write an ID3 tag to the resulting file. It'll happily stick an ID3 tag on the front of the thing, which breaks the M4A file.

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #17
That was it !  Thanks Otto
I was using lame before, and I left ID3 tags checked.

Good work!
Gonza

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #18
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yah. That's one reason I gave it a different name.
Old: [a href="http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iTunesEncode.zip]http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iTunesEncode.zip[/url]
New: http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iTunesEncode46.zip

The new one works worlds better for me, as I can now click around in iTunes and do things while it's encoding without the CLI closing on me unexpectedly (it did that all the time with the old one for me).  But YMMV of course, use whichever works for you.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261711"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is an awsome tool.  Thank you!

When converting a bunch of files, the conversion occationally fails.  This is true for both the previous version of the iTunesEncode and for v46.  Any idea why?

Thanks,

John

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #19
When converting a bunch of files, the conversion occationally fails.  This is true for both the previous version of the iTunesEncode and for v46.  Any idea why?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266768"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, but if you figure out when it's happening, let me know. I've found a couple cases where iTunesEncode can quit prematurely and corrected them, but it still happens on big batch encodes from time to time, and I have not yet been able to work out why. Still, it's pretty rare with the latest iTunesEncode46 now.

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #20
I've been using iTunesEncode for about a week and it's just great. Exactly what I was looking for.

Nevertheless, when ripping a CD from within EAC, a few tracks always fail to be brought over into Itunes with the tags. They're listed in the Library with the cryptic .m4a filename. I correct them manually. It's usually about 2 oddballs for every 10 or 12 tracks.

Ideas, anyone??

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #21
If you watch it as it encodes, you'll see that it's tagging the file immediately after iTunes reports the encode as finished. Then it waits 4 seconds before trying to copy the file back, in case iTunes wants to rename it or something.

Turning "manage my library" off might help a bit. This will keep it from renaming the file later.

Also, you might want to try piping the output of iTunesEncode to a file somewhere and find the relevant portion of so you can see what's happening. Any errors should get spit to stdout, sort of thing, so that'll help narrow it down. Just add ">> c:\output.txt" to the end of the command line parameters in EAC. I think that'll work. Then look at that file after it's done. Note that this file may get rather large, because of the percentage display being updated once a second, so you'll have to manually cut that junk out. I could make a nicer version that will write output to file for this purpose if it's needed.

In other words, I'm more than willing to change it to fix problems, but I don't have any of these problems on my box, so that makes it rather hard to do. I need to know what are the errors that are occuring in the iTunesEncode output to figure out where it's messing up.

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #22
Otto, thanks a lot for making this. I have the odd issue with it failing a recording (maybe 1 in 10?), but I retry and it works, so I'm not massively bothered. Keep up the good work

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #23
That's quite interesting.  I too find that roughly 1 track per cd errors out in this manner.  Rerunning the command usually works just fine but it's kind of a nuissance.

Encode Progress at 100%
Encoder Finished, Adding Tags (if any)
Error getting tracks, user cancelled convert?

I tried adding >> output.txt to my mareo.ini but it isn't generating any output.

I already had my settings such that iTunes wasn't managing my library.

I wonder if the 4 second delay isn't enough in my case...?  I'm doing my ripping on an older pIII 1Ghz with 256 megs of ram.

Is there any way I can monkey with that delay?

Eac to iTunes AAC

Reply #24
Encode Progress at 100%
Encoder Finished, Adding Tags (if any)
Error getting tracks, user cancelled convert?

I wonder if the 4 second delay isn't enough in my case...?  I'm doing my ripping on an older pIII 1Ghz with 256 megs of ram.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270339"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, the delay happens after tagging, before copying the file to the new location. The above error usually happens when you cancel the encode in iTunes itself. Totally different places in the code.

I'll add some more error checking around that bit tonight and we'll see if that helps. The only thing I can think of is that iTunesEncode gets some kind of error from the progress check, which doesn't make much sense. Still, it's possible.