Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Masstagger - WTF is going on!? (Read 2047 times) previous topic - next topic

Masstagger - WTF is going on!?

I've downloaded an album (of legal live music, before you ask) encoded with FLAC 1.1.0. It verifies and plays back fine. But when I use 'Set Tag' in the masstagger for any field name, there is a lot of disk activity and the tagging is much slower than usual.

Once it has finished, the time for each file is replaced with a question mark, and if I try to play the files, I get an error message saying 'Error opening file for playback'. If I use FLAC Frontend to test the files, I get these error messages:

Got error code 1:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_BAD_HEADER
Got error code 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC

ERROR while decoding data
state = FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_FRAME

I've been using fb2k for 18 months now, and I've never come across or read about anyone having this problem. I've scanned both my hard discs for bad sectors, checked for viruses, rebooted and reinstalled foo_masstag and the problem still occurs. I'm running 0.8.3 with the latest versions of foo_ui_columns, foo_utils and foo_temple. I recently installed foo_tradersfriend and thought that might have been the culprit, but I deleted that and the problem is still there.

I now have to re-download 500MB of FLAC files. I've had a long day and this is the last thing I need. Before I do a complete reinstall of fb2k and lose all my settings, is there anything else I can try? And why is it happening in the first place? It seems like a pretty serious bug to me.

Reply #1
Have you seen this message on foobar2000.org?
Note: foo_flac component in 0.8.3 installer downloaded before 2004-09-05 can damage FLAC files when updating tags in certain situations. If you have files in that format download the fixed version.

If not, update to the current foo_flac from that page.

Reply #2
Ah, I hadn't seen that - I only visit foobar2000.org when a new version is released, and I've tagged several FLAC albums over the past week without any problems. It seems to fix the problem though, cheers musicmusic!